Roadmaster Active Suspension

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm no engineer so this is an opinion. I can see how it's designed to work but I can't see how it would be a major, if any at all, improvement over a set of air bags. It appears to be a horizontal coil helper spring as opposed to an additional leaf spring being added. air bags actually cushion the ride and add to the leaf springs ability to carry a load. I wouldn't buy it.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I'm no engineer so this is an opinion. I can see how it's designed to work but I can't see how it would be a major, if any at all, improvement over a set of air bags. It appears to be a horizontal coil helper spring as opposed to an additional leaf spring being added. air bags actually cushion the ride and add to the leaf springs ability to carry a load. I wouldn't buy it.

I don't even see it doing that much, Ray. It looks like, to me, just a way to "rearch" the springs back to what they were before you put the load on.

Bet, there's tremendous pressure on that thing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just went to the web site and when I see claims of their springs guaranteed to save fuel I feel pretty confident that the claims of helping your suspension are just as accurate. I am happy with my air bags.
Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just went to the web site and when I see claims of their springs guaranteed to save fuel I feel pretty confident that the claims of helping your suspension are just as accurate. I am happy with my air bags.
Peace
Dave
I agree on that too. I was reading their explanation of how it saved fuel. I thought, sounds like double talk to me.

tmcran

Yep, got to study this more. I have a friend that put the Timbrens on a 3/4 ton chevy and his wife refused to ride in it until he took them off. He said they really made the ride rough. Today I was able to talk to some local folks that have the Roadmaster system and had only good things to say about it. I live in a rural area(ranching) and so do these guys. They switched from the air bags due to leaking air and punctures(run over to many mesquite tress.) Also when your miles from no where if you don't carry an air compressor then you are out of luck. Decisions:confused:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Yep, got to study this more. I have a friend that put the Timbrens on a 3/4 ton chevy and his wife refused to ride in it until he took them off. He said they really made the ride rough. Today I was able to talk to some local folks that have the Roadmaster system and had only good things to say about it. I live in a rural area(ranching) and so do these guys. They switched from the air bags due to leaking air and punctures(run over to many mesquite tress.) Also when your miles from no where if you don't carry an air compressor then you are out of luck. Decisions:confused:

If you have timbrens on your truck and they affect the ride (unloaded) then they are installed improperly. They cannot affect the ride unloaded...if installed right.

Sounds to me like they used a spacer when it was not needed.

tmcran

Could well be. He didn't say anything about the spacers. He did switch to the air bags and likes them much better.

tmcran

Try the 'Search' button. I had the Roadmaster system for a week and sold it on Ebay for a 50% loss. My Firestone air bags are great!

Could you tell me a little more about why you didn't like them? I'm really getting mixed reports.

Rmcgrath53

This has nothing to do with the system. But a few years before I bought my 5er I had one new leaf put on at all four wheels and it rides smooth and has changed my 350 into greater than. It was 5oo big ones to have it done.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Could you tell me a little more about why you didn't like them? I'm really getting mixed reports.

Roadmaster dosn't tell you that the system raises the rearend up to 4 inches without a load.
The system is very hard to adjust after the fact once its installed.
Unloaded the trucks ride was bumpy and harsh compaired to stock.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have timbrens on your truck and they affect the ride (unloaded) then they are installed improperly. They cannot affect the ride unloaded...if installed right.

Sounds to me like they used a spacer when it was not needed.

I agree. I don't think the clearance is much different between the 2500 and 3500 series. To use the spacer on my 3500, I would have had to force the assembly in place. If he installed them per the instructions: jack up vehicle and remove tire; he might have thought there was more clearance and put the spacer in. I did not remove the tires or jack up the vehicle. An e-mail to Timbrens confirmed I did not have to, so long as I could access the mount area. Installed w/o spacer, I have an inch of clearance.

tmcran

Roadmaster dosn't tell you that the system raises the rearend up to 4 inches without a load.
The system is very hard to adjust after the fact once its installed.
Unloaded the trucks ride was bumpy and harsh compaired to stock.

A 4" lift would not be good. I had not head that. May have to try the timbrens.

vtxbud

Where I live, Northern Alberta, the climate is not at all friendly to Air bags Two dealers sellling and installing advised me against them, said maintenance here would be a major P.I.T.A.. Hence was set to go with the Roadmaster system. Dealer advised me he used to handle them but there were some problems. Ended up buying a set of Load-hogs from him. Work great. Dodge 2500 CTD, Reg Cab 4x4 8' Box Pin weight 1900 lbs.