Gooseneck Hitch

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
I am considering ordering my Heatland-Bighorn either at the Charlotte, NC or Greenville, SC camping show. I saw them for the first time at the Greensboro show. Very impressive. Changed our minds as to what we thought we were going to order! As for the hitch, I am considering a B&W turnover gooseneck and the gooseneck adapter from Campng World. I've heard and read on RV.net that some mfrs. will void the warranty if one is used. Is that the case with Heartland and does anyone have any pros or cons on using one? All that I've read looks like all pros. Help before I spend a bunch of money and potentially make a mistake! Sure would like to keep the bed of my truck!

2001 Chevy HD
Long Bed, extended cab (non-dually)
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy

Phil

J

Jeff

Gooseneck Hitch!

Hi Phil:

I just spoke with John Rhymer at the Factory. The Gooseneck Adapter and Hitch will VOID THE WARRANTY on the Trailer. DO NOT USE IT! It places too much stress on the trailer.

If you are concerned about your keeping the bed of your truck, that's not a problem. If you go with the Reese 15K or 16K pro series hitch, along with a Bed Saver adaptor, you should be fine. The Reese Pro Series allows you to remove the Hitch Head and Frame with 4 Quick Disconnect Pins. Only leaving the main attachment rails, (FLAT) in the bottom of the bed.

When you're not using the hitch or need the truck for other things, just pull the frames and 5th Wheel hitch out and you're good to go.

Hope this helps.

Let us know when you purchase your Landmark or Big Horn.

Take Care.

Jeff

Phil Smith

Thanks Jeff. I'm glad I asked before spending the money. Still disappointed as the other seems so much cleaner. I'll start my search again. How does the Reese 16K do on uneven ground. I understand that there are issues if the truck and trailer are not on the same plane. Does this hitch compensate for this? I've pulled a travel trailer for years but 5th wheels bring many new questions.

Phil

Attachments

• BHFH_header_image.jpg
    BHFH_header_image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 311
J

Jeff

Hi Phil:

Hi Phil:

I don't use the 16K, but it is similar to the 15K.

I understand your concern with the level plain thing. When you pick up your trailer and the dealer hooks you up, he should adjust the 5th wheel hitch so that the Truck and Trailer are as close to possible on a level plain. The 5er hitch, wether a 15K or 16K are adjustable up and down via bolts. Naturally you want it to be as level as possible, so you're not loading the rear tires more than normal and the trailer is riding level.

Hope this helps.

Reese hitches are very good and I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Take Care.

Jeff

Papaw

Papaw--------(Jack)
Possible misunderstanding

Hi Phil,
Jeff is right, Reese is an excellent hitch. However, I think Heartland might not be familiar with the B&W companion hitch. It is NOT a gooseneck adaptor. It is a complete, independent 5th wheel hitch that goes into a 30,000 pound rated base that you can also place a gooseneck ball unit in. I have been using one for years and think this is one of the best, smoothest and safest hitches on the market. I would suggest calling Heartland and asking if they would call or visit B&W's web site (800) 248-6564 -- www.turnoverball.com and ask for clearification.
I agree with Heartland and others, gooseneck adaptors do put added stress on the trailer and I wouldn't trust one as they look pretty cheese, but this is not an adaptor and wouldn't part with mine.

Last edited:
J

Jeff

Thanks Jack!

Thanks Papaw:

That's why this Forum was created. To share information and exchange ideas.

Phil: I will check at the factory on Friday and see if they know about the B&W Companion Hitch.

Anyone reading the posts on this Forum, if you have questions for me or Jim, let us know by Thursday, as we will be on the road Thursday night heading to Elkhart.

You all take Care.

Jeff

Phil Smith

Thanks to both of you guys. I'll look forward to hearing what the factory has to say about the the B&W Companion. Pawpaw, do you have an estimate on the the weight of the comapanion? Jeff, How about the weight on the Reese 15K. I'm looking for ease of removal and re-installation as I also use my truck and its bed for other than just pulling my trailer. (Boy am I getting the fever to get out camping! And get my new camper.) I am also intrested in what the factory is seeing for current lead times on new orders. Maybe you can check for me Jeff.
Thanks,
Phil

Papaw

Papaw--------(Jack)
Weight of B&W

Phil,
The hitch is not real light but you can take off the top (coupler head) which weighs 71 #'s and then pull a locking pin and pull out the base 96 #'s.
This is much easier with two people. You could also just pull the locking pin and let the trailer pull out the hitch as you extend the front legs of the trailer and just leave it connected to the trailer until you use the hitch again. I seldom remove the hitch as I have a long bed and it leaves enough room for what I usually need to haul.
Let me know if you need anymore info.

Jack

Attachments

• Feb 2011.JPG
    Feb 2011.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Feb 2011 Nashville KOA.JPG
    Feb 2011 Nashville KOA.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Sewer Pipe 4.jpg
    Sewer Pipe 4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Rear Living Chairs.JPG
    Rear Living Chairs.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Bedroom Slide.jpg
    Bedroom Slide.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Dinette.JPG
    Dinette.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Sink Range Area.JPG
    Sink Range Area.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 17
J

Jeff

Factory Lead Time and Reese Hitch!

Hi Phil:

My Reese 15K is not light either. For me to take it out, would require 2 people, since it is heavy and rather awkward.

I'll check with the Factory on both the B&W Companion and the lead time on both the Heartland and Big Horn models.

Gonna be a busy week, trying to catch up when we get back.

Plus, we have an RV show in Rockford, IL to go to on Saturday as well.

Stay Tuned.

You all take care.

Jeff

Phil Smith

OK, guys thanks. Hopefully my last question. Any preference in mfrs of the hitches? I had both Reece and Husky quoted today. Husky looks to be a litttle cheaper.

Phil