Converter or something else?

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We were getting ready to leave on a trip next week that includes going to the NorCal rally, but we can't get any lights or the refrigertor to work unless we are connected to shore power. The slides will work, but nothing else....

Mark has checked all fuses including the ones inline with what he thought was an inverter, but is probably a converter, and has checked any number of other things as he was walked through them by our service department by phone. He has inspected all the wires and replaced the batteries after they checked out bad at AutoZone.

We have an appointment to get in to the service department first thing Monday morning, but it would be really embarrassing if we went 90 miles to have them find some tiny thing we should have found on our own, though a tiny thing is certainly better than a huge expensive thing!:eek:

Ideas anyone? Anything so obvious that River City didn't even think to mention it because EVERYONE knows to check it? Kinda like the reason your computer doesn't work is because you forgot to make sure it was plugged in. Duh...

Kristy

PS We would have had to cancel the first part of the trip anyway because I got a nasty virus from the little (well, medium sized..) crumb crunchers I teach! We're hoping they get the trailer fixed and my fever goes away so we can still make the rally.

Mariposa

power

boy, from what I am reading you have got a problem. The slides are 12volt. All lights are 12 volts. Why work only with shore powed?
I had my converter go out, and the batteries went dead. No lights, no motors until converter was replaced.
Let us know what they find and how it was fixed.
Bob

Paul & Nan

Have friends with an 08 3055 BH who have lost 2 converters since mid October, same symptoms, nothing works with 12 volt. Nan

wdk450

Someting else to try

Krtisty:
Once the batteries are replaced, you might try the 12 volt stuff with shore power disconnected, and the electrical from the truck hooked up and the truck motor running. The truck should have a small 12 volt charging line (for electric braking safety). I verified this on my rig by taking a voltage reading on the trailer battery with and without the truck motor running. It will be higher when the truck is charging the trailer battery. If your stuff works like this, it points a finger at the converter.
He should be able to use a voltmeter to verify if the red wire to the refrig is getting voltage. He could test for voltage at the 12 volt switches. Maybe the main ground from the battery to the chassis/grounding bus bar is bad .
I hope this is resolved quickly. We hope to see you in Oroville.

Bill and Deborah Knight
Sacramento, Ca.

boatdoc

Kristy, What lights are working when plugged in, the 110 VAC or 12VDC? If the 12VDC ones are working when plugged in and not when unplugged the converter IS working. What do the battery's read when plugged in? Should read 13.3 or above. If not, the charging portion of the converter is non-op and this could be the problem. Does the fridge work on gas? It should if there is enough power in the battery's to power the circuit board.

boatdoc

Kristy, Have Mark open up the battery/hyd. compartment door. See all the self-resetting relays above the battery? There may/ may not be little red covers over the posts. Ground the test light on the battery negative and check the right hand side of all the relays. They should all be hot. This side is the outgoing power to all 12 VDC power, if one of these is not hot that may be the culprit. The left side of the relays should be the feed side and more than likely jumped from one to the other FROM the battery. I'm trying!!!

branson4020

Icantre Member
Gary has you on the right track. Its probably the DC circuit breaker that feeds the 12V fuse panel in the coach. In my rig, this is NOT an auto-reset breaker. It's manual reset. Take off the red rubber covers, run your finger down the side, and one of those breakers will have a little tiny reset button. Oh, and hi everyone, we're new here.

boatdoc

Gary has you on the right track. Its probably the DC circuit breaker that feeds the 12V fuse panel in the coach. In my rig, this is NOT an auto-reset breaker. It's manual reset. Take off the red rubber covers, run your finger down the side, and one of those breakers will have a little tiny reset button. Oh, and hi everyone, we're new here.

Huh, I'll have to look or feel for the manual reset button!!! Learn something new everyday.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Hey Gary,
Mark found one of those relays was not hot (the 4th one down). He hooked up the truck and still no power. Don't know about a manual reset button, he might have to check for that tomorrow.
Kristy

Branson4020
I see you are from Forest Grove. Are you interested in coming to the Oregon Rally at Winchester Bay June 12-15? Here is the link.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=7549

It would be great if you could join us.
Kristy

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Bob thanks for the info on the manual reset on the DC circuit breaker. Once I found the little button and pushed it everything works as designed. Thanks for saving me from having to tow the trailer 90 miles tomorrow for a 5 second fix.

boatdoc

Great news ziggys!!! It just got thru snowing, hailing and raining long enough for me to go out and look at those little buggers above the battery. I found ONE that had the push button and all were hot.
Now a bunch of us know what to look for if it jumps up again. :D

Isn't this forum great!!! G&D (boatdoc)

Hey Bob, Are you and Joyce going to come over to the rally?

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Great!
Mark owes you guys a beer or two!

Bob and Joyce,
Could you send me your info like email, checkin/out dates, cell number for my database? Thanks. Kristy