extending Power awning small amount

patrick1945

We have a power awning and it is great. It is easy to extend and retract when conditions warrant.

But today we have heavy rain and winds around 20mph.

I would like to extend the awning 2 feet to prevent the rain from pouring in the door when it is opened.

Has anyone done this?

Plus we do not have literature on this item. What do you do if you need to close it by hand?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Don't own one myself, but we have a neighbor who does this all the time...doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Bobby A

That seems to be the nature of the beast, I have the same problem with my SOB when it rains. I've often wondered why they dont extent the awning past the slide out to keep rain out. I have seen people put a 20 foot awning in replacement of the 16, but they had to put a roller on the corner of the slideout to keep the awning from tearing. This was a manual awning not a powered one. I figured by now an afermarket company would of come out with something, I've been dealing with this since 03.

ChopperBill

We have the Carefree and do it but I extend it out just past where I want it to be then bring it in a tad to tighten it up.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
First of all we sometimes only partly extend our power awning. Sometimes you can do that if the wind is blowing too hard to have it fully extended it will be okay if it is partly extended. Also if it is raining I would put it in so water does not accumulate on it causing damage. I have left it out maybe a foot or two when raining but keep a close eye on it. If you call A&E they will send you an manual for your awning.

To manually retract it you need to unplug the power cord which comes from the roller tube to the side of the RV. You will have to get on a ladder to do this. Then there is a screw on the roller tube that must be removed. When that is removed, spring pressure will cause the awning to roll up. You will have to watch to keep it from slamming (rolling up too quick) into the side of the RV. Once you have removed the screw from the roller and it manually retracted put the screw back in to keep it from unrolling. The awning will then have to be serviced before it will work. That is what my instructions said. I have not tried it because I don't want to have to take it in for service unless it is broke. (if it ain't broke dont fix it). Hope this info helps...

Duramax1

You should have received a strap with your trailer that you insert into the channel of the electric awning. The end result is that the awning rolls up with the strap exactly the same as a manual awning.

If you do not insert that strap into the awning before allowing it to roll up, you are going to have a lot of fun when it comes time to unroll the electric awning but perhaps that chore will be done by a repair person who you have taken the electric awning to for repair!