Internet Explorer 8

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I made the mistake of downloading this new version of IE. It's a PITA:mad:. It's not compatible with Norton 360 v.2.0 and won't let me connect to their site to download v.3.0 (Norton's tech tried to get me there via a chat session). Keeps popping up the same error in my security that I have to fix repeatedly. Gotta figure out how to dump it and go back to IE7. Connecting to links within messages is a problem, too. Opens the link, then minimizes it to a button on the lower task bar, so you have to go and click it...again.

jpmorgan37

If you have a Dell, go to start, help and support, Undo changes to your system with system restore, pick a date before you installed Version 8 and restore your system. It should delete the new version and take you back to where you were. I've had to do it a few times with system updates. Just this past week with a Java update that screwed me up. Good Luck,

John

skyguy

John - with previous Versions on IE, there would be a remove tool in Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. (for XP. Vista - I think they call it Program and Features). If it is there, usually labeled Windows Internet Explorer V6/7/8. That should get you back.

Alternately, you could do a system restore to a date before you "upgraded" to V8.

Never a good idea to jump on _any_ Microsoft product too early.

And you might give a thought to using Firefox, from mozilla.org...

Al Schlafli

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
John,
I have been using Firefox as my browser ever since Michael Kidd (linuxkidd) suggested it. I have found it to be easier to use and more stable than Explorer.

JohnDar

I may have to take a look at that. I had to use Control Panel to get rid of IE8 and revert back to IE7. System Restore just does not want to work, even though I've checked the setting to make sure it's not blocked. Thanks for the input.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also have Firefox installed on my computer. However I don't use it very often. I found sometime ago that I had a problem using a forum and IE7 would not work properly, so I used Firefox for a while.

One thing I like to do is copy the transactions from my credit card company to a Excel spreadsheet. I can copy the information properly using IE7 but not using Firefox. Firefox is good for a lot of things but I am still use to IE.

I agree, I never use a new Microsoft App until it has been out for a while.
BC

JohnDar

Well, now I'm back to IE7 and have not experienced any problems with it in the past. I'm also pretty used to how it works. I took a look at the Firefox website and some of the user info/problems. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence that it's where I want to go.