HELP ... Dometic unit ... freezer OK but fridge won't cool

StevieWonder

Went out to prep up for the first trip of the year and turned on the fridge/freezer to pre-cool it before loading up the food and .... surprise ... freezer gets cold but fridge part is still at ambient temperature after 5 hrs on AC power. Dometic unit, one control with "slider" temperature control in the fridge. The cooling fins in the fridge are not cold at all.

Ideas ???

It's a crisis since we're supposed to leave in the morning.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh .... :mad:

UPDATE: Kind of a clicking or ticking noise from the refrigerator section towards the bottom. Fins are still warm; freezer is about 40 degrees and getting colder.

sealman

Well Steve, since we are supposed to meet early in the am, get a supply of dry ice, then fill refer, we will put DW's in the 5er so as the open an close refer door to regulate temp. Besides we would not have to stop for their incessant potty breaks.
John

See ya in the morning, and yes I am getting ready to open a bottle of wine.

StevieWonder

Man ... this sucks. I pulled the back panel off just to check the unit temps and everything is heated up as it should be. I'm taking a wild guess but I think the little thermocouple on the temp control that goes/slides on the fins in the fridge (what a Rube Goldberg deal that is) must be tango uniform. The freezer portion is working fine. Every other Dometic unit I ever owned had a temperature selection button on the main panel. This slider rig is freakin' joke.:mad:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Well Steve, since we are supposed to meet early in the am, get a supply of dry ice, then fill refer, we will put DW's in the 5er so as the open an close refer door to regulate temp. Besides we would not have to stop for their incessant potty breaks.

Oh man...you're gonna DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cause I'm telling.....

rdctx13

Look like we are in same boat as you were a few months ago. Our Dometic is keeping freezer dept. very well but our bottom frig part is at about 50 degrees it needs to be 40 or below. Can you tell me what you found to be your problem. I can't get anyone out to work on it, if it something simple I can fix. Would you be so kind as to write me at my e-mail address rdctx13@aol.com, I would certainly appreciate it. Thank roy

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I just discovered possibly why my fridge is running warm, although the freezer is working properly. We discovered a crack in the fiber glass on the upper right side from the door to behind the coils. Dometic wants pictures, but it looks like they will have to replace the whole unit. Great to happen on the 12th day of a 52 day trip. There is a 2 year parts and labor warranty, and a 3rd year warranty for parts alone. Wondering why the temp was at 43 degrees while set on 5. I also hope the crack won't damage anything outside the fridge with mold or fungus. We have model #2682.

roazo

Sundance Owner
Stevie,

I have been fighting this problem for two years. Have had it woked on three times with no luck(allways worked for them)I moved the slider and bracket down to the second wire rack from top. hanging the probe under the rack. So far mine is working staying around 33 to 35 in the fridge. They temps here have been in the 90,s the last week and is still working fine . You might give it a shot. Please let us know .

Ron
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
The dometic warranty man told me that to make the fridge colder move the slider down and up to make it warmer. I took mine off as it was stuck to the fin and put it back lower and the fridge dropped 5 degrees in one day. It's now in the normal range but I still have that large fiberglass crack. I don't know if its superficial or deep.

Jimmyt5

Larry I know you can argue with success, but I have always been told If the fridge is too warm move the thermistor upwards on the fin (Up is Colder like “Up North”).
My fin has a little arrow on it close to the top. I think I'll try and go the other way for awhile...:)