I just found this--you should check yours

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well after reading Marv's issue with shackles and thought I'd better check mine. I am glad I checked because I found something else of concern. I have already contacted Gary at Heartland but thought you all might want to take a few minutes to check yours also. I believe my issue is the tire rubbing against the shock absorber. My first thought is that the axle might need to be shifted over to avoid this but I want to leave it to the experts. I will try to keep you up to date with my adventures.

Mark

Attachments

• 100_0089.JPG
    100_0089.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 322
  • 100_0090.JPG
    100_0090.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 100_0091.JPG
    100_0091.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_0092.JPG
    100_0092.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 281

wazz_zup

I checked mine earlier this year and I've got about 3/4" clearence. Not much. I've been looking at upgrading my Unicorn Express tires to the Goodyear G614's and as far as the online demensions go, I can still clear the shocks.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I checked mine earlier this year and I've got about 3/4" clearence. Not much. I've been looking at upgrading my Unicorn Express tires to the Goodyear G614's and as far as the online demensions go, I can still clear the shocks.

But will the 3/4 inch clearance be enough in transit. You guys are scaring the h*ll outta me.

SmokeyBare

Mark,

Just finished changing out the broken Shackles... Not a Wet kit as I was hoping for but new parts which should do till I am able to get the wet kit in hand... It's Road Worthy.

I too had a little RUB on the inside of the rear tire. On the spring side that had both shackles broken. ( Rear Curb Side ) Because the shackles both broke.. I believe it caused the Mor-Ryde Rubber Equalizer to shift over toward the tire... and the edge of the Mor-Ryde RE rubbed against the rear tire. I looked it over pretty well and didn't find as much "RUB" as you have... I decided to leave it alone.

Your photos did not show what was actually rubbing against the Tire.

The Shackle Replacement went Sort of OK... only one bandaged finger... dang it it's the index finger on my right hand... typing & mouse work is impaired !! GASP

Good luck with your problem Mark !

Marv

lhetsler

Shocks rubbing on tires

I went through this and posted elsewhere on this sight. I had the left shocks only a 1/4 inch from the tires. It turned out that my axles were 3/8 of an inch short. Lippert replaced both axles under warranty. It happened that the axles were bent as well. Lippert indicated from overloading, but as posted elsewhere, I travel with only clothes and food, empty tanks and just a few tools and satellite dish in basement. I was happy with the fix and everyone honored their warranty. After the fix, the tech test drove it and in sharp turns the 3/4 clearance was enough. No more rubbing. I now have 3/4 clearance on both sides.

Pulltab

Yep, I had them install shocks on my unit back in Feb and the shocks on the drivers side would rub in turns. When I had the centerpoint installed they left the shocks off the drivers side due to no way to reinstall. (they installed them completely compressed anyway) :(

I had the shocks on the Drivers side do the same thing on our Fleetwood which was a lippert frame. Actually the shock mount had cut into the sideway of the goodyears :mad: but that one is long gone now.

mrcomer

Update

Well after the Rally I went to Lippert to get my leaf springs replaced and asked the fellas to check out the tire rubbing issue. The technician told me that I had short axles. Well instead of replacing the axle he chose to add a shims to both tires on the off-door side of the coach. Well I suppose I should have asked to have the axles replaced but for some weird reason I didn't. Now that we are back home I had a chance to check out the tires again and now the tire on the doorside is rubbing. I am not sure what I am going to do now. I will be contacting Lippert soon to get their take on it.

Mark

mrcomer

Update

Called Lippert on Monday 7-13-09 and talked with Shad, told him my problem and he said he would have to pass this on to Don and Don would give me a call. Tuesday came and went, no call. Wednesday I decided to give them a follow-up call and see if I had been forgotten. I called and talked with Lisa, who by the way was the young lady crawling under all of our rigs during the Rally in Goshen. I quickly thanked her for all her and other Lippert employees efforts during the Rally and after the Rally. I then informed her of my initial call and she could not find any info in the computer but as it happened, Pam and Don were in the next office talking about my particular rig. What a wonderful coincidence. Well Lisa took my contact information and said as soon as they can, they will return my call and let me know what is going on. I really hope they will just swap out my axles for the correct length, that is if the dude that swapped out my leaf springs was correct in his assesment. I will try to follow up on this as things happen.

Thanks for listening.
Mark

mrcomer

My follow up

Sorry I haven't continued this here but if you are interested I have another thread with my continuing saga.

Mark

lwmcguir

Bent shackle and twisted Trail Air couples

I just purchased a 2009 Agusta. Looks like I have a similar problem. Only about 3/8 inch clearance on the driver side and 3/4 on the curb side. The driver side center shackle holder is bent about one inch from verticle and the front and back shackles are bent some as well.

I have the axle number and it appears that they may be two short as well to allow the shackles to be vertile as they should be. The curb side appears to be right all the way.

Nothing is rubbing yet but if the shackle holder continues to bend the springs will come up to the frame and other problems will occur. Will be talking to the dealer on Monday.