F250 & Sundance Fiver

Rich5117

I currently own a 2008 F250 Super Duty with the 6.4 D crew cab 4x4 SRW. I was ready to purchase a Big Country 2950rk. After reading this forum and really looking into the weight issues I found that My truck weight is 8000 with a full tank and just me, it has a 10000 lb GVWR that leaves only 2000 lb for additional payload. The hitch weight of the 2950rk was a minimum of 2268. This put me over the GVWR of my truck, but not the GRAW. I really like the Heartland product My wife and I will be using our unit to travel out west, and any where else we may want to go, can anyone please tell me how the Sundance Model performs and if it will hold up to that type of use. I also know that the Eagle Ridge came out last year and would like to hear about that as well.

Thanks.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I don't pull my Sundance the distances you are talking about, but I do pull it with an F250 almost identical the one you have and I have no problems. Going down the Highway at 60-65 I can't even tell the trailer is back there. I am going to install Firestone Airbags soon because I do get a little "sag" on the rear with the trailer hooked up. It's annoying how we're a couple hundred over payload, but well under GRAW. You'd think Ford would do a better job of figuring stuff like that out.

grizzlygiant

Rich..I had a Bighorn 3400 which I pulled cross country with my Dodge Ram 2500. I did fine but felt I was at/over the limits of the truck. I sold the Bighorn and bought a 2800 Sundance. It tows beautifully and I hardly know it is there. It is smaller than the Bighorn but it is MUCH easier to manouver into a parking space and actually the interior is more convenient. I would not trade back to a Bighorn even if there were no cost difference. The quality level is the same as the Bighorn, interior storage is the same less the desk, and the basement is smaller but very adequate for us for two months at a time.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We ended up putting a set of SuperSprings on our F250 and it has made a world of difference. There is less sag when the 5er is hitched up, almost all the "chucking" we previously experienced when taking off and stopping is gone, the truck/trailer combination rides much more smoothly, and believe it or not, we increased our fuel mileage by a little over 1 mpg. We pulled the trailer down to Myrtle Beach Wednesday and my wife was amazed at the difference in the ride. We highly recommend the SuperSprings.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We have an 06 F250 extended cab with a 6.0 and pull an 08 3200ES. I added a 16k Reese with manual slider, and airlift 500 airbags. I get 12.5 MPG, and the ride is great. I have to look behind me to confirm that the rig is still there. We have some pretty big hills here in Tennessee and with a few minor fixes on the truck (EGR Valve) we couldn't be happier. Used to pull a 27' TT with a Dodge 1500 gasser and only got 7.2 MPG and the ride was not good, trailer sway and such. The Sundance has proven to be a great buy and Heartland has more than satisfied our desires. Good luck.

rodeosw

Could not be more happy with my Sundance 2900RK 2009. Have a 2004 Dodge 4/4 heavy duty diesel. Added Air lift 5000 air bags and a wireless on board air controller. Also added Pac Breaks. I don't even feel the fiver behind me. By far the best fiver I have ever had. Just went on a trip from California to Idaho. Lots of big grades and down hills. Had plenty of power.....Enjoy your new Sundance.

Bill

caissiel

I had a great riding truck with the GM befor the Ford. So Far I droped the truck 2" to make it ride lower in the back of the box and getting ready to Take 2 extra ply of spring that were added by the previuos owner. My truck is licenced for 12000Lbs and the trailer weights 12775 Lbs. I calculated I have 300 Lbs to spare with maxload in both the truck and the trailer. Just enough for me and the misses. I towed 13000 Lbs with my 235 HP GM diesel before with no problem. I forsee no problem with this Ford that has 30% more power and 50% better trailer capacity then the old GM. In addition the G Tires with 90Lbs of air will be much beter to tow then the 50Lbs of air I have in my old trailer.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hi Rich 5117, We full time in a Sundance 3300SK and tow with a 2007 F250 SRW diesel been from Mich to Idaho 1st year and Mich to L.V. Nevada 2nd year ,the sundance towed prefect,also just had minor probs with the Sundance. Been good to us TRAVELER07

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In addition the G Tires with 90Lbs of air will be much beter to tow then the 50Lbs of air I have in my old trailer.

Be advised "G" rated tires are rated for 110 lbs of air. There has been much discussion on the forum regarding tire air pressure. Before you decide to only run 90 pounds of air (which in theory you are under inflated) be sure to weigh the axles so you know how much weigh the tires will be carrying. I would rather be at 110 lbs and know I am not under inflated. Under inflation causes heat. Heat is very bad on tires.

Rmcgrath53

I have a 2997 bhs 2009 sundance. I have a dually now but when I bought the rig I only had a regular cab one ton f350. When I weighed the rig my pin weight was 2,500 lbs when I was fully loaded with all my gear. I was at my limits for the one ton. It pulls very nice.
Ron

Last edited:

caissiel

I had a 98 GM 2500 and the load carrying was 3500Lbs, This truck though much heavier can only carry 2800Lbs. But in New Brunswick I am licenced for 12000 Lbs, 2000 Lbs more then my friends 2004 2x4 F350 Dually. Also the rear brake pads on my truck are 3/4in longer and 1/2in wider. I have been on a 2000 miles trip to Florida and been very satisfied with the ride of my BC 3500RL. I kept the tire inflated to 110Lbs, and everything in the trailer has been staying snug, My wife has been traveling with the car behind me and saw hardly any movement of the rear end of the trailer, I have one extra long spring ply on the truck and it takes the rough roads very well, no jurking and drive very smooth. The scanton PA route I81 was a problem because the trailer brakes got greased and were hard to adjust so I had to clean them with brake cleaner. Milage is great at 11 to 12 MPG at 60 MPH, at 65 it drops to 10.45MPG. which was my worst tank millage on the trip. My 6.0 Ford handles the trailer quit well and I am very satisfied with the ease of tow of this unit. The old unit though at 4000GVW lighter and almost 2 feet lower roof was as hard to pull on the flats and uphill, fuel millage was even worst, and could not run efficiently above 60MPH. The front egg shape of this unit surely makes it a joy to pull. On these highways you need to look in the mirror to feel this unit.

ricatic

Rich,

Deb and I have a 09 Bighorn 3055RL and pull it with a 2004 F250 CC SB 4WD 6.0. When we left the dealership, I weighed the rig at a CATS scale in traveling configuration. . The truck with Deb and I, our dachsund, hitch and generator in the box and full fuel weighs 8400 pounds with 3400 on the rear axle. The entire rig weighs 20300 pounds with 5700 pounds on the trucks rear axle. Pin weight is 2300 pounds. I have weighed it both on departure and on return from trips. The scales show I am under GAWR on all axles but 300 pounds over on GCVWR. I then went on a research mission to determine the actual difference between between the F350 and F250. I discovered there is very little difference between them. The engine, trans, drive shafts, frame, brakes and wheels are common between them. The main rear spring packs and entire front suspension are the same. The F350 has an additional "over load spring" and a rear stabilizer bar. The tires on the F350 are rated for more load. The F250 has an optional "camper package" available and my truck has that option. With that option you get the overload springs and the stabilizer bar. I have 3400 pound rating tires on the truck. Axle ratios are part of the weight equation but because they can be easily field modified they are not relevant in this discussion. This makes my truck functionally identical to a F350 except for the door sticker and the F350 badges. This is why you see so many F250's pulling trailers like mine and why they are happy with them. I am very pleased with the way my truck handles my 5ver. Before the weight critics jump on this post, please be aware that I know my truck is a F250 and can not be documented as a F350. That fact does not change the other facts that explain why most of the F250 guys do not worry about pulling their trailer. Rich, this information applies to F250's built prior to the 2005 model year so your truck is different but I would guess the Ford weight rating game is still similar. I suspect the DMV departments wheel taxing policies have a lot to do with this screwy system. Also, when you upgrade to a F350 Dually your load capacity goes up considerably. YMMV and the opinions in this post are worth exactly what was paid for them

Ricatic

lwmcguir

Rich,

Great post. What most folks don't realize is that Semi Trucks typically pull around 2.5 to 3.5 times the TV (Tractor) weight. They have to or how would they make any money pulling heavy loads? It is all about the handling and braking system. If the trailer cant stop itself and your TV wanders around you are in trouble. We find that towing our Augusta with the 250 versus the 550 is very similar. The only difference is that on dry pavement the 550 would stop the coach without the trailer brakes easily. On wet or slick pavement do you really want to stop a Coach with the TV? Not me. I have seem many trailers pass the TV's over the years. I agree 100% with your post. If you can afford or have the 450 or larger then that is great, but don't use it to stop the Coach. Most trailer accidents are due to the brakes not connected or not working properly. Most of them are Pickups pulling Skid Loaders and so on.

ricatic

lwmcguir,

I have been pulling trailers for 40 years. I was pleased with my F250 and impressed by how well it handled the BH3055RL. However, all the postings on various forums that stated that you could not pull a 11000 pound trailer with a F250 made me curious. I knew the F250 and F350 were very close relatives but wanted to know the differences. A very good friend is a FMC dealership parts manager. He helped me in my research. I also scoured the web for information. It became quite clear why I liked my truck so well. It tows like a F350 would because it is equipped exactly like a F350. You are absolutely correct on the braking issues. I always check my braking systems prior to leaving and keep them in good repair. Thanks for the compliment.

Ricatic

DMAX154

I know this is gonna bite me but who here has been " busted " for being over weight while towing their 5er? I know theres more to it than that, like if you get in a accident and you are towing more than the truck is rated to tow you are screwed.

We just bought a new 2010 Sundance 3200RE in June and so far have towed it over 2500 miles with few problems. My basement has gotten wet, the shower souround has leaked as well as the the hot water tank. None of which I feel is a result of towing it down the raod. We love our Sundance it is a great unit and I feel that is underestimated as far as the Heartland products go. I hear so much about Big Horns and Big Country and very little about Sundace. We had a 2850RK Montana before this one and I like this unit so much more. The quality and functionality is so much better. Yeah it is a bigger unit and has one more slide than the Montana did but it is a great unit.

I have an 05 2500 Chevy with the Durmax Allison combo and it tows it great. Up and down the hills of WV while going to NASCAR races. It tows much better than the Montana, because of the 16 inch tires and I feel mostly because of the equiflex suspension. We also have a set of Firestone ride rite air bags that make a big difference.

lwmcguir

The actual numbers for a 2005 Super Duty F250 6.0 are below

6.0L 3.73 23,000 (10,433) 23,000 (10,433)

Our Augusta crosses the scale at 13,000 and our TV weighs 7,000 loaded. We still have 3000 pounds of additional capacity to be legal. Our biggest concern is the real tires at 3,600 pound capacity each we don't want to push that. That is where dually shine. As the other folks have stated, we have no handling issues what so ever with the F250 super duty.

DMAX154

Our Augusta crosses the scale at 13,000 and our TV weighs 7,000 loaded. We still have 3000 pounds of additional capacity to be legal. Our biggest concern is the real tires at 3,600 pound capacity each we don't want to push that. That is where dually shine. As the other folks have stated, we have no handling issues what so ever with the F250 super duty.

That must be one big TV to weigh 7000. Was that an option when you bought your 5er?

branson4020

Icantre Member

Just double checking here. Is that 13,000 lbs the total weight of your rig, or just the weight on the axles?

lwmcguir

Total weight for the camper axles on the scale loaded is 11260 Loaded weights full are PU with camper hooked up so includes pin weight 11160, TV and Camper is 22480 so we are just shy of the max. Camper axles are at 11260. We have about 2760 on the Pin loaded. This isn't counting the generator but everything else. We have most of the options on the Augusta. TV weighs in at 8400 # equipped with tool box, tools, and air bags. Grill Guard, mud flaps heavy wheels and so on on the TV. We will always check the weight to be sure we don't go over the max. Just want to stay on the legal side just in case although I don't know of a camper/TV ever being weighed as the other posters have noted.