Tire Upgrade??

skyguy

I have a Bighorn 3670 on order. After following some of the stories about the tires supplied with the Bighorn models, I am seriously considering upgrading my order to include the Goodyear tires that come on the Landmark models.

I am being quoted $550 by my dealer for the upgrade. Is this high? Low? Good?

Al S.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have a Bighorn 3670 on order. After following some of the stories about the tires supplied with the Bighorn models, I am seriously considering upgrading my order to include the Goodyear tires that come on the Landmark models.

I am being quoted $550 by my dealer for the upgrade. Is this high? Low? Good?

Al S.

DO It!!! It will cost you a lot more to do it after delivery.
$550/5 tires=$110 per tire. Awesome.

Mark

Last edited:

grizzlygiant

That is a GREAT option at a very good price. Get it by all means. I had to pay two hundred dollars more than your price for Goodyear G614 with the new OEM trade-ins.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
To buy them after the fact it will run you a minimum of $250.00 per tire. $250.00 times 5 = $750.00. Seems like a no brainer to me.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Uhh, Jim, you might want to have your calculator recalibrated. I multiplied $250 X 5, 63 times and allways come up with $1250.
Peace
Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I agree too...definitely jump on that deal...cost me over $1,300 two months into ownership.

We too wished we'd have had that option in 07' when we bought.:eek:

jddugan

When I ordered my 3600RL last fall I paid $495 for the Goodyear 614 upgrade. The dealer said that was his cost and he would pass it on to me. $550 this year doesn't sound bad.

skyguy

Sounds good! I was glad to hear this would be available after I contacted my dealer. Even happier with the price. The selling dealer is 450 miles from us, and I could just imagine, with my luck, the trip home...

Done!

Thanks ll

Al S.

Get those Goodyears!!

We ordered a 2009 3055 Feb. 2008. We had the Goodyear G614s put on at the factory and also had the 7000 lb. axels put on instead of the standard 6000 lb. ones. We traveled Canada and Alaska last summer, over 15,000 miles and the only tire trouble we had was a screw in one of the trailer tires twice. It didn't even go flat and we were able to get to a tire dealer and have it fixed. We are very glad to have the Goodyears.
odie and janice davidson

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I just went to a Goodyear Dealer last week and was quoted out the door for G614's $300 per tire, including steel stems, disposal of old tires, and mounting and balancing with tape weights. Every single tire dealer I went to told me to stick with the dreaded E-rated Michelin XPS tires, as they all said the G614's are 14 ply, and will shake the trailer up pretty badly while traveling. All said G rated were over kill. On the other hand all the senior RVers here in the forum swear by the G614's, even on 6,000 lb axles. I, myself am in a quandry about these choices. How stiff of a ride will it be, does it affect the ride in the truck, as I have a bad back?
I have asked this same questions on other treads and haven't really gotten solid answers. Steel stems are a must if u want to use the pressure pro system, sold by Pat McFall. You get a set of 8 so can include truck tires as well.
Ears are wide open, opinions needed.

jmgratz

I would not run E rated tires on our Landmark as they would be overloaded. Maybe the tire dealer would have to special order the 614's and would rather sell you something off the shelf. You need to look at weight issues also. If the E rated tires allow you to not overload the tires then the Es would be fine. I do not find the G rated tires to be an issue as far as shaking the trailer. The Goodyear 614 tire is for a trailer and is a great tire. But do not try and put a G rated tire on an E rated rim. The rim must be comparable with the tire. Putting a G tire on an E rim could lead to a catastrophic failure.

Bobby A

Go for the upgrade from your dealer, my big horn is being built as we speek, I have the factory putting on the upgraded Goodyears for $695.00, I was told that was a good deal. I wanted the factory to do it because a lot of these tire shops don't know how to jack up the trailer properly. You could have a lot of problems if that happens. Just something to think about.
Bob

kakampers

Larryheadhunter....I'm shocked that the dealer would refer to Michelin XPS Ribs as "dreaded"??? In the E load range that has proven to be the most reliable tire on the road.

In fact, if I could run E loads that's exactly what I'd have, hands down. Ran them on our TT and they eliminated ALL tire problems!! If I was in your shoes I would stick with the Ribs...best E load tire available...check the other forums, you'll see that's what everyone recommends for your load.

Larryheadhunter

For clarification purposes, my aluminum rims are 16", and rated for 3750 lbs, 6,000 lb axles, and on the inside of the rims it says "G". Therefore I have the choice of G rated or E rated tires. My rig weighs 11,800 lbs empty, and CGWR is 14,800 lbs. My rig is 34' on the inside and almost 40' from pin cushion to ladder. And excuse my verbage about the Michelin XPS tires I am just confused which tire would be better for my rig and the smoothness, and safety of the ride.

kakampers

I know it can be very confusing trying to figure which tire is best. I will say I've had experience with both tires, and as I stated earlier, if I could use an E load tire I'd have the Michelin, even over the Goodyear G614 anyday.

We have an unloaded weight of almost 13,000 and top out just over 16,000, leaving us with no choice but a G load tire...so Goodyears it is.

We have used Michelins on all of our trucks and on previous trailers...have never had a problem or failure...EVER! Don't honestly think I've ever seen a better made, stronger tire...especially the XPS Rib! If I had your unit that's what I would have on it...JMHO. Hope this helps:)

jmgratz

I would recommend going with the same rated tire as the rating of the wheel. ie if you have a G rated rim then a G rated tire is what I would put on it. To be sure you do not overload the tire you should get the rig weighed by an outfit such as Weigh-It that weigh the rig by weighing individual axles. Then you will know how much weight is on each tire. The manufacturer puts on the weight rating of the axle and wheel that are compatable. So if it came with a G wheel then a G tire is what it should have. MY opnion.

Larryheadhunter

Mine came with E rated wheels that were the Mission Tire bombs. Traveled over 12,000 miles with nary a problem so far. Just wanted to do something before I pay the price. I am leaning toward the Michelin's only cause we travel light and fixing stuff ain't my gig.