Best route to MistyCamp Ground from Chesapeake??

camperjohn08

Just wondering... If anyone can recommend the best way to dirve pulling a travel trailer to MistyCamp Grounds??
I will be leaving 2 April, and have a route planned route 58 to 460 thru Petersburg, to north 95 to state Hwy 288N to 64 thru Charlottesvelle..(this is a condensed listing).. I got this thru Goggle Maps, they suggest 64 to 664 to 64 thru Richmond past Charlottesville...
What are your thought's on this matter.
By the way, do we have to stop before the tunnels to get inspected, due to propane tanks on the trailer. Never really pulled a trailer thru any tunnels.
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks
John & Nancy Latham
Chesapeake, VA

P.S. See you all there.....:)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hi John,

Not sure about the route. I would think that taking I-64, to I-295 around Richmond on the north side, then back on I-64 all the way past Charlottesville to US250 would be the easiest, although not necessarily the shortest route. You do have to get the tanks checked prior to going through the tunnels. I've only been through the I-64 tunnel between Newport News and Norfolk and it can be challenging merging back onto the highway - not a very long merge area if I remember correctly. I'm sure a couple of the folks from your area will chime in with some more information. See ya next week!

Gus

davebennington

Camperjohn,

I think the best way is 58 to 95, then 95 to 288 to 64 that takes you south of Richmond. Once you are on 64 keep an eye out for the Misty Mountain Campground sign. We will be going that route but coming from the west. This may not be the shortest however it will keep you off any secondary roads.

Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Dave's route would keep you out of the tunnels and that would be a big bonus. How about US460? I never been on it. Is it a decent road? Looks awfully straight.

camperjohn08

I am looking on taking 64 to 58 to 460 to Perersburg and then 95 to 288N as suggested. by the Google maps its about 20 minutes longer and about 7 miles longer than going thru the tunnels. I have driven to Roanoke, VA many times taking 460, but only in a car...

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
CamperJohn,

I have driven the 58 - 460 route numerous times pulling my various campers and several times pulling one of my 46 ft. gooseneck work trailers. I really like that route if for no other reason than I don't have to go throught the tunnel check process (which I personally think is stupid). 460 is a nice "change of pace" from the interstate. I've never had a problem pulling a trailer and although there are several small towns where you have to slow down, it 4 lanes the whole way.

288 to 64 is a nice new road and a real pleasure to drive. That only leaves 95 around Petersburg to deal with. I hate driving 95 at any time, but at least with the route you have planned it is not too long of a distance before 288.

I think you'll enjoy the route you have planned. Sure wish I could join you in Charolettesville, but I gotta work that weekend:(