Last Minute Spring Rally Announcements

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We have just a little over a week to go. I am making one minor change to the agenda. I am leaving the Friday evening meal as just a pure pot-luck dinner. No assignments for a particular type of dish. I honestly have not had time to work on that aspect of the rally, so it's best to just go with the anticipation of getting a really good mix of food without assigning anything. Don't forget to bring your favorite wine for the wine tasting on Saturday. It's OK if you don't drink or don't have one to bring - join the rest of us anyway. Be sure to bring your wine tasting glass - I'm not sure passing the bottle around would be a good idea!

I'll supply the plates, utensils, cups/glasses, and napkins for both dinners (please don't expect the fine china), but bring your own for lunch Sat and Sun morning.

For dinner on Friday and Saturday night, please bring your own drinks. I need one volunteer to bring an ice chest with ice Fri night, and one for Sat night (I'll split the cost of the ice bags with you - shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks). Drop me a line if you're willing to do this.

We met Gary and Paula Worsman at the Fredericksburg KOA this past weekend. It was great meeting them. Their Big Country is currently in the dealer for repairs, but they plan on being at the rally by hook or by crook.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something important, so you may hear from me again soon. If not - see you all at the rally. Drop me a line if you have any questions.

(This was also sent as an email to everyone, just wanted to make sure everyone got it).

boatto5er

Charitable Activity - Lynchburg Area Food Bank Collection

The following message is from Peggy Mason, one of members from Williamsburg. She would like for us, as a club, to make a donation to the Lynchburg Area Food Bank as a part of our club rally activities. I think this is a terrific idea and wholeheartedly endorse it. Just a small donation can go a long way for needy families in the central Virginia area. This is strictly a voluntary activity, but I hope as many as possible will contribute.:)

Hi Everybody-
This is Peggy speaking here-

Fellow campers and friends,
As a member of a social organization, I feel compelled to put the power of fellowship and goodwill to good use, so that all of us who have been provided the means to enjoy a bountiful lifestyle, may have an opportunity to share that blessing with others whose situations may not be quite as blessed. I try to benefit the same community in which the club's social activity takes place.

In the past as a member of another "leisure activities" club I have organized donations for a local animal shelter and for Toys-for-Tots at our annual rally. In the local automobile club that Mike and I helped start here in Williamsburg, at every monthly meeting a collection was taken for either the food bank, or school supplies, or coats-for-kids, etc., depending on the season/month. The club was small and corresponding donations were usually small, but very appreciated. I can thank a good friend in that club for showing me that by giving to others, my own well-being was greatly enriched.

In the name of the Virginia Chapter of the Heartland Owners Club, I would like to plead :D, eh-hem, rather ask, for everyone to please, please bring a grocery bag full of non-perishable canned or boxed items to the Spring Rally in order to donate to the Lynchburg Area Food Bank. Try to buy items that a family of four can use for a couple of complete meals using canned chicken or tuna, etc. This is the website for the area food banks: http://www.brafb.org/

Kroger's and Farm Fresh have pre-shopped bags that you can buy for donation also.

I have arranged to have the bags picked up during the rally by a staff member of the local Lynchburg food bank.

Thank you for your consideration and hopefully, your generosity!

Peggy Mason
HOC #1127
//heartlandowners.org/image.php?u=3960&type=sigpic&dateline=1233890799

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Will this do for the tasting?

Be sure to bring your wine tasting glass - I'm not sure passing the bottle around would be a good idea!

[FONT=tahoma,arial,verdana,geneva,helvetica,sans-serif]Night Train Express
17.5% alc. by vol.

Here's a nice little wine that I used to drink, back in the good old days, in Korea. It's a heady, robust, nutty little vintage that goes well with finger foods, as well as standing up well against more substantial fare. It has been shown to be well paired with pickled eggs and kimchee or balut. The wine travels extremely well and can be drank chilled or at room temperature.

nighttrain.jpg
But, don't let the 0.5% less alcohol by volume fool you, the Night Train is all business when it pulls into the station. All aboard to nowhere - woo wooo! The night train runs only one route: sober to stupid with no roundtrip tickets available, and a strong likelihood of a train wreck along the way. A few glasses of this Korean standard insures a night of dreamless sleep and a lingering aftertaste. This trainyard favorite is vinted and bottled by The Tague Winery, in Hohang. Don't bother looking on their web page, because they dare not mention it there. As a clever disguise, the label says that it is made by "Night Train Limited." Some suspect that Night Train is really just Thunderbird with some Kool-Aid-like substance added to try to mask the Clorox flavor. Some of our researchers indicated that it gave them a NyQuil-like drowsiness, and perhaps this is why they put "night" in the name. Guaranteed to tickle your innards. Drank and loved by millions of American Military down through the years. It is a party standard! And is available as a jug wine in individual bottles, gallon jugs and 5 gallon plastic containers.

(PS. This is a real wine, and is actually bottled by Earnest and Julio Gallo in Modesto California)
[/FONT]

boatto5er

Good stuff Lefty! Night Train, Bali Hai, Thunderbird (no relationship - I assure you) and Mad-Dog 20-20 got me through college. It was all I could afford!

boatto5er

Last of the Last Minute Updates (Hopefully)

Hi Everyone,

Just a few last minute closure items. Please plan on bringing your drinks and cups for the meals. We'll provide plates, napkins, knives, forks, spoons, and ice.

I've got name tags for Friday evening - that'll help us get to know each other.

I'll be looking for volunteers for a couple of items:
  • Someone be the "wagonmaster" for the next rally (e.g coordinate a location and time, lead the organizing, etc). I'd like for us to do a couple of more of these this year (summer - fall?).
  • Someone to be assistant "wagonmaster".
I'll be at the campground early Thursday afternoon. If I discover any last minute things you might need to know, I'll try to get an email out late Thursday afternoon or early Thursday evening (hopefully will have either aircard or wi-fi connectivity for my PC).

Don't forget your wine for Saturday afternoon and your food donation sack.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope everyone has a safe and uneventful trip.

boatto5er

I look out my windows and see lots of Heartlands

Thursday night and 6 of us are here already. It's been a rather dreary day, but we've met a lot of very nice people. The campground looks great. The sites are a little tight, but the big rigs are getting in with a little grease, and pushing, and shoving (just kidding;)). Can't wait for everyone to show up. This should be a lot of fun. Forecast is looking better. Temps are going up to the mid and upper 60's and skies will be clearing on Friday (fingers crossed). This proves the old saying, "A "bad" day camping is better than a day at work anytime".

davebennington

It looks like a real Heartland rally now, I think there is just about every model that Heartland makes represented here. Gus is right the spaces are tight but it looks like everyone is settled in for now. The wind is blowing very briskly and it is helping to clear the sky for the sun to shine. We are going to have our first official meeting in a few minutes to get acquainted with one another.

Dave