This ones for leftyf- PATIO DECK

irvin56

Found this and never thought it possible on tt.
it goes to show, If you have an idea, it can be done.

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u122/javaseuf/Springdale%20Mods/

Nope. Planned it in my head but here are some pics with it partially out as well as fully out.
I used 1"x2" 16 gauge box steel for the frame and covered it with Trex. The slides are made from Unistrut channel mounted in channel steel for strength and suspended by some roller bearings with 3/8" mounting studs.
It measures about 5' x 7' fully extended and has positions it can be locked into for just an entry step to fully extended.
I made it to use with ramps for the DD's wheelchair.
Added about another 300 pounds BUT since it stows right under the fresh water tank that's mounted below the floor level, if I fill the water tank to the top, the bottom bulges and interfers with the deck so I just leave the water tank empty until we get to the campground. This equals about the weight of the deck so it's a push on extra weight being carried.

NOW IF JIM B. pass's this on to factory and they add these as a option.
I believeIi get a cut for patenting it :D:p
Can I at least try:eek:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I think this is one of the most fastastic field expedient things I've seen since Vietnam. The concept is great..can't tell about the complete installation...but, the pictures show it to be well thought and implemented flawlessly.

That said, the VA would never allow something like that. Why, you might ask...well for starters the price would not be in excess of $20,000. It is multi-usage. It's not electric, or hydraulic and does not need a nuclear reactor to power it. It does not appear to require a lot of modifications to the trailer. It probably won't break and has a half life of 40 years. Anything that does more than one thing is automatically prohibited from VA usage. I love the idea and that REALLY kills it...you are required by law to hate anything they allow you to install. I love it. It's not fancy. It get's the job done. I'm in awe.

That said, I never thought of something like this. I'll bet some of the other stuff I've seen could be easily modified and used too. Biggest problem I've got is that the size is restricted to 30 inch width or less. Next time I'm outside, I want to see for myself how much room I've got and not rely on what the VA tells me I have. Nothing says that I have to use the VA. They will not pay for anything they don't recommend, install or approve.

Your daughter is very lucky to have a father that thinks on his feet and has the ability to get it all together.

Thanks for the pictures...I may be ripping some of your thoughts off here. My biggest problem is being alone in my travels which restricts my add-ons to things that are either light or use some type of power.

But, I'll bet you a good welder could do things the VA won't even consider.

SmokeyBare

Great project !!

We had a slide out platform on the ladder truck... it had brackets that held the drawer slides much like the ones in the cabinets of a BigHorn... only of course far stronger to support the weight of standing on it and operating the pump controls. The decking was aluminum plate with some pattern of holes punched through and textured to prevent slipping with wet boots on.

Your right Lefty... a fab shop could build one that would work... every time ! I'm sure they could make it work with a power motor to open and close the deck.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Great project !!

We had a slide out platform on the ladder truck... it had brackets that held the drawer slides much like the ones in the cabinets of a BigHorn... only of course far stronger to support the weight of standing on it and operating the pump controls. The decking was aluminum plate with some pattern of holes punched through and textured to prevent slipping with wet boots on.

Your right Lefty... a fab shop could build one that would work... every time ! I'm sure they could make it work with a power motor to open and close the deck.

I'm definitely going to look into it. It's simple..and fits a bunch of my requirements much more than some of the monstrosities they have shown me so far. The biggest holdup will be the cost. It's not going to be expensive enough. I'm very serious about that.

You could even add some fold down railings. And, would have to figure out something on the ramps. I don't have help getting up any ramp. Might have to see about making them longer.

Nobody is an innovative as guy on a budget!

jbeletti

irvin56,

That's an awesome mod. I'd love to see someone do that with a HL product. With that I-beam frame however, the deck would have to be under the I-beam with at least 1 step on top of the deck to get into the RV.

Don't think we'll see HL make anything like this but again, I'd love to see it done by a product owner and documented here on the forum.

Takers? :)

Jim