Where to mount Surge Guard

branson4020

Icantre Member
I just picked up a hardwire Surge Guard off Ebay. Now I'm wondering where to mount it in my brand new Bighorn 3385. I can't see any place to put it except on the basement wall. Any suggestons or pics of your install appreciated.

ct0218

I mounted my autoformer behind the sliding door in the basement (where the converter is, under the toilet/shower). I cut the AC power cord and put in a 50A male/female receptacles, but if yours is hardwired you would skip that expense and task. It is safe and out of view there. If you sell the coach you can put the receptacles in place of the surge guard and connect them, and use the surge guard in the next coach.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
which surge guard and from who on ebay did u buy it from? Thanks. I am not sure that I need it, but now we are out of warranty, why take a chance. All these additions cost money, but I am sure they are worth it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have a Surge Guard, but the same principle with my Progressive EMS. I bought a five foot piece of cord that is the same guage as the wire going from the Marico shore plug to the breaker box. I then disconnected the wires from the breaker panel and replaced them with one end of the new one. I then had two ends which I connected to the EMS. I didn't cut the wires so if I ever get rid of the coach I can remove the EMS and reconnect the wires as they were from the factory. Like others, I mounted it behind the basement wall. Oh, and Larry, you need it. Mine saved me once, so the lack of additions could have cost more. Tweety's has decent prices on both the SURGE GUARD and EMS.
Peace
Dave

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I don't have a Surge Guard, but the same principle with my Progressive EMS. I bought a five foot piece of cord that is the same guage as the wire going from the Marico shore plug to the breaker box. I then disconnected the wires from the breaker panel and replaced them with one end of the new one. I then had two ends which I connected to the EMS. I didn't cut the wires so if I ever get rid of the coach I can remove the EMS and reconnect the wires as they were from the factory. Like others, I mounted it behind the basement wall. Oh, and Larry, you need it. Mine saved me once, so the lack of additions could have cost more. Tweety's has decent prices on both the SURGE GUARD and EMS.
Peace
Dave

We too have the Progessive EMS...It has saved our coach on at least three different occasions. Everything from low voltage, high voltage and would you believe high frequency (more than 60 cycles)!!!

Would never be without one again. The company is fantastic...they will replace the unit or parts for life, FOR FREE!!! Best money we ever spent!

We mounted ours on the storage compartment wall so we can easily see the monitor when we open the door. It's tied directly into the main line coming into the rig, so it is the first thing "bad" electric will hit...not the coach.:)

Larryheadhunter

I have an interesting dilemma. I was offered a hard wired surgeguard by Goldenwingers, but he warned me that if u have a electrical surge and the surge guard saves the appliances, there is no reset button, and you have to replace the surgeguard. Because its hard wired, there is a large cost to replace, as well as actually having to buy a new surge guard unit. Any comments? That is why he bought a portable unit that is hooked to the breaker box, hoping its not swiped by a fellow camper unless locked on. Also easy replacement. I was under the impression that there was a reset button. Am confused as the unit itself is very expensive.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Larry, you do have an interesting dilemma. Everybody has an opinion as to how things should be done, or what product to use. What's right for me may not fit your needs. Yes they are expensive, but my opinion is that if I had a severe surge, I would rather replace the surge protector than maybe, say, oh I don't know, a couple of AC units, microwave, a couple of TV's, refer, converter, that electric mattress pad or any other appliance in use. So no matter which way you decide to go,the bottom line is what my mother used to say, "always use protection".
Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I agree that everyone has a preference as to which one to us. We prefer the Progressive EMS portable unit as it is quick and easy to set up, and we can see the readout easily if there is a problem. I lock it to the pedestal using a rope type bicycle lock. I did have it get completely 'fried' with a surge one time. I just don't want to run the risk of it catching fire in my rig if a surge is severe. So far it has saved us a number of times. The one time I didn't use it we had a surge that took out the converter, tv, microwave/convection oven, clock radio and central vacuum. Consider the costs as the microwave/convection oven alone cost $850.00 and the converter is about $375.00. "Protection" is important.

Larryheadhunter

So making sure its locked at the pedestal seems the way to go rather than hard wire it and if it blows, it costs a ton to remove and replace. Now the dilemma is choosing which model fits my rig best. To bad there isn't a reset button on the darn thing. It fries to save the other appliances is what it sounds like. So the EMS progressive or the Surgeguard are the best bets? Anyone have the link to both to assess? Wonder if Camping World has both? And what if u buy a 50 amp and you hook up to a 30 amp? Oh boy, sounds like I will be spending more money.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have been thinking about hardwiring my autoformer behind the storagr door where the converter is but I also fear a fire in our unit if the autoformer were to malfunction.It would be a little simpler and less to handle if it were hard wired.I guess for now I will just move it in and out and lock it to the power pole.

jbeletti

Larry,

Get the 50 amp version. Your RV's 50 amp plug will always plug into the protector. Then when you are at a CG with only 30 amp receptacles, use your 50 to 30 amp adapter or get one at Camping World.

Use Google to find links to these products. Yes, CW does carry some of them. Let your fingers do the clicking - Git'r done!

jbeletti

Terry,

I'd love the convenience of having my auto-former built in too. But it's also nice to be able to plug it in at the power pedestal and watch the lights on the autoformer to see if the power is good (proper voltage, frequency and polarity) "before" I plug the RV cord into it.

That said, I am really tired of lugging that autoformer out :) But do it I must!

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, you've gotten my interest since we just had the EMS-HW50C installed in our rig. So I sent an e-mail to Progressive to ask what kind of reliability or failure mode testing has been done, related to the units catching fire due to voltage surge. If/when they reply, I'll post their answer.

Maybe I can find a surplus Halon suppression system to install in the underbelly, too. Screw the ozone hole, I gotta protect my investment. :rolleyes:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would say mounting in or out is a personal preference. Here is the link to the Progressive http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt50c.htm

Again that is not the only one out there but I know from personal experience it works and the company stands behind it. Last year mine got fried at a campground in Minnesota. A week later I was at Gillette, Wyoming attending the Escapade (the Escapee's national rally) when I ran across the owner of Progressive Industries at his booth. I brought him my device. He looked at it, tested it and found it to be defective and then gave me a brand new one without any questions. No hassle. I had the device for 5 years and he replaced it. What a great company. The EMS has a built in circuit breaker which resets automatically. In my case the voltage had spiked so severe that it fried the device. Had I not had it on everything electrical in the RV would have been damaged or destroyed. It could have even started an electrical fire. The drawback to the EMS is it is expensive at about $430.00 but when you consider the alternative it is worth it. You cannot buy the EMS at Camping World. It is only sold a RV shows, some dealers, and online.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
This is the main reason we have the Progressive EMS...they will replace the unit/parts WITHOUT COST whenever it takes a hit. The owner actually told a friend of ours "I've never charged anyone for replacement, and I'm not going to start with you"...can't ask for more than that...and his was fried due to a water leak, not because of a power issue...and they still replaced it!!!

We will always use Progressive EMS and tell everyone how good it is, and how wonderful the company is to it's customers.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Don't mistake my intent in contacting Progressive. I am not worried about the unit cooking off and burning up my rig. I read enough here and on their website to go with them. Just interested by the question/concern and wondering what their answer might be. Who knows, a solid answer, incorporated into their website/advertising, might be good for sales. Something like: "No RV owner has ever had his butt smoked because of our product." Or something like that.:rolleyes: I'll leave it for the Madison Ave. boys.:cool:

nhunter

Do surge protectors actually start on fire? I was thinking of getting one but am now afraid of the fire hazard. I liked the Progressive EMS because of the remote display.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
nhunter, good question. I wonder if that has ever happened. First chance I get I will call PI and ask that question. I have the EMS with remote and like it a lot. I do no worry about a fire. I think a serious lightning strike would do damage instantly and not cause a fire.
Peace
Dave

Larryheadhunter

It shows on the EMS website a 3 Year Warranty. 5"W x 9½"L x 3¼"H. If the owner is kool enough to replace it no matter how long, I am impressed. I guess they are all fair traded at $429 for the EMS-PT50C, . which I believe is the 50 amp portable. I guess you don't get a remote with a portable. Does anyone recommend where to buy?