Backup Cameras

J

Jeff

Hello Folks:

This is a new area.

Dealing with Backup Camera's and Tire Pressure Monitors.

Tim Lazaroe of RV Cams will be the moderator of this forum.

So, if you have any questions concerning Backup Camera's or Tire Pressure Monitors, this is the place to ask them.

You can check out Tim's Website too at:

www.RVCams.com

You all take care.

Jeff

A

AbNormal

I once discussed the idea of retrofitting a backup camera to my current fifth wheel trailer, with an RVing friend.

He said, "You really don't want one of those". "Why not?", I asked.

He replied, "Who are you going to blame, then, if you back into something?"

I hadn't thought about that angle. It's great to have two minds, sometimes.

But, seriously, it would be a terrific feature to offer, whether as "standard", or optional. It would help tremendously while driving down the road, as a rear view mirror. I've had smaller cars tailgate so closly, that they virtually disappear from view, and I can only see when as I get to a bend in the road.

A question I have is: "How would the camera send it's signal back to the tow vehicle - cabled, or wireless?". Both have their pros and cons, and I'd like to hear from those that have used either system, and what the experience, or preference is like.

Thanks

jimtoo

I have backup cameras, or had, them on my unit. I traded for a new Bighorn and have not installed it on the 3055RL yet. I ran cable to the pickup and used a 4 conductor trailer connector next to the 7 pin trailer connector. It worked very good in my opinion. You can see the idiots that pull up close behind you, also if you get someplace where you need to move back a little you can make sure the way is clear. I could see my wife and hear her with out her having to scream at me from behind the 5er when parking in back in spot or making sure of clear of road on pull through. I have another one on the headache rack on the pickup and the audio for both cameras are tied together. I have a Lilliput 8 touchscreen for monitor. It has two video and also VGA screen. I also have an older model HP computer under the back seat (that has been updated some) with mapping and GPS programs and about 1300 to 1400 songs on it that will play through my GM factory stereo system.

I have not installed the camera on the new Bighorn yet, been lazy I guess. But also have not taken the time to figure out where to run the cable in the rear cap. I had thought about using wireless, but would still need power for camera and I would still need to run cable in rear cap.

If anyone has run a cable from top of rear cap to bottom side, let me know which direction and how easy :D it was.

jbeletti

Jim,

I have seen the rear of a Landmark all framed up and insulated before the rear cap was put on. Wood framing and fiberglass. Looks tough. Consider posting in the Bighorn - ASk the Factory forum and ask Coley to take a picture of the rear of a Bighorn on the line right before the cap goes on. It may be a big help to you.

I have read on RV.net, a couple of people who have wired their 5er for a camera. One said that he fished the wire from the center marker light over to the right most marker light, then down to the tail light, then down under the coach.

Another thought is to mount the camera on the sloped part of the cap just above the rear window. Then take the wire into the cap and out into the center cabinet. Then across to the end cabinet. Pull off the corner molding, fish the wire out of the cabinet and into the corner then down to and through the floor to underneath the coach. Replace the corner molding with the same or whatever is needed to conceal the wire.

Many ways to go about it - just a quick thought.

Let us know what you ended up doing.

Jim

ToyHauler

Pioneer AVIC

Another option for those looking to have an all-in-one unit is the Pioneer AVIC. I have a Pioneer AVIC-N1, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/division/demo/0,,2076_310069681,00.html#unit=AVIC%20N3, which is a AM/FM/CD, as well as a DVD player and navigation system. There are a number of options available for it, including a backup camera. Once wired in you can view the image while driving, as well as set up the system to show the camera shot every time you put the vehicle in reverse.

I had the unit installed in my Ford F250 and will be removing it to install in my new GMC 3500. The Pioneer will be subordinate to the stock unit, so I can retain all of the stock controls (steering wheel, rear seat, etc) whill still utilizing the navigation (which is fantastic) and the back up camera (also fantastic).

I am also going to be installing a second backup camera on the back of my toyhauler, so I can see what I'm ramming the back of the 5er into!

Uncle Rog

Thanks John, done deal, ordered the ocho pack on direct orders from my shot gun rider and crew chief, she said enough is enough. My next step is to slap on some new rubber and get the brakes adjusted, they never have been very good. Anybody know if one brake controller is better than another? I have a kelsey hayes and has worked well in the past, but there are many others available....? UR

ct0218

The Tekonsha Prodigy seems to be the new standard. Everyone I know that has one loves it. My neighbor just bought one for about $99 from etrailer.com, quite a bit cheaper than what most are selling it for.

jpmorgan37

Rog;

I put a Brake Smart on my GMC and of the three controllers that I had used prior to that, none compared. Cheap, it's not. $425.00. It ties into the TV's hydraulic system and the braking signal sent to your coach is directly proportional to the amount of pressure applied by your foot on the brake. It also sent a signal to you if there was a problem with the brakes on your coach, plus some other things. It is one "smart" controller. Here is the link: http://www.drperformance.com/brakesmarthome.html

John

jimtoo

Hi Bob, Thanks for the info and pictures. They will be a great help when I install mine. See you at Medina Lake TT one of these days.
Jim

Pulltab

I just ordered one of those wireless license plate cams from Camping world. Comes with a little 2.5" color monitor. I first saw it at Wally world for $98 but they didn't have em in stock. Campging world has them for $99 and a $1 shipping.

Forrest Fetherolf

pulltab,

I installed and returned the VR3 backup camera on my 3600RL. It isn't designed for a distance of more than 19'............as per their trouble shooting guide. I agree with that. The picture is intermittent, rolling, and subject to interference at 2.4 GHz freq 802. The first time I used it to back into a site, I had a very clear picture of a parking lot from a nearby camera. I looked for other options for signal booster to no avail. I gave the camera back to WalMart. Sorry.................

Forrest

Last edited:

Pulltab

Forrest, thanks for the heads up. Looks like either I will be returning it or using it for an outside security cam for the rv.

Jimmyt5

I Just did a camera install on the rear of my BH.
The problem I have is the cable ends are screw together connections.
I am concerned that if I cut the cable to install a quick connect to go to the truck there will be a problem .
Has anyone dealt with this???

DennisZ

Jim
I dealt with the same problem when I installed my camera. Do to an error on my prt during install, I had to splice the wires together at the camera. It works fine, just make sure you keep the spliced are as short as possible (less than 3 or 4 inches) and insulate and waether proof the spliced area.

If there is any way possible to use the connectors I would try that route.

Dennis

Forrest Fetherolf

truknutt said:
I just found this "little" wireless backup camera/monitor set on etrailers.com. I wondered if anyone was familiar with it.

[URL="http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BMAIII~04928.htm"]http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BMAIII~04928.htm[/URL]

I tried a similar back up camera from Walmart. The wireless reception distance is only good for up the 25'. I installed on the rear of the 3600RL 40' between camera and monitor, the picture was erratic and subject to interference from other devices on the 2.4GHZ frequency. I returned it to Walmart.

Forrest

campntn

Pulltab said:
I just ordered one of those wireless license plate cams from Camping world. Comes with a little 2.5" color monitor. I first saw it at Wally world for $98 but they didn't have em in stock. Campging world has them for $99 and a $1 shipping.

HOw did this work out?