New "Hitch" Forum

jbeletti

I saw a new thread today about hitches and felt it was time for hitches to have their own forum. So here it is!

Here is what I envision being discussed here:

• 5th wheel hitches
  • 5th wheel tow dollies
  • 5th wheel pin boxes
  • Travel trailer A-frame hitches
  • Travel trailer weight distributing (WDH) and anti-sway hitches
  • Travel trailer hitches (on the truck)
So post away! Also, over time, the moderators will move relevant threads about hitches from other forums to this new location.

Jim

bill40

Good Morning All
I have been reading a lot of the post on many of the different types of pin box hitches. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Trail Air Tri Glide unit vs the reg trailair or the 5th airborne? It may be better for me to go with the air bags and the Moy-Ride to try and ease up both the and down and the chucking.
Thanks Bill

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Thanks Jim. I really need this forum. I guess it's one of those "would like to know, but am too afraid to ask" kind of topics for me.

I've always wondered about the trail-air or the airborne, but really didn't feel I had enough knowledge to ask the kind of questions I wanted to ask (didn't want to look like the total idiot I know I can be sometimes) when it came to how these things operate and is the expense worth the benefits.

Now maybe I can sit back, read and learn a thing or two.:D

klindgren

Tow Buddy

One thing I do know a little something about is my Tow Buddy. It allows me to put my Gold Wing in the bed of my truck (using my Pak-Rak motorcycle lift) and then hook up my 5er to the Tow Buddy so I can go camping and still have my toys with me. And in doing so, I don't have to give up the luxury of my Pinehurst for a Toy Hauler (not that there is anything wrong with a Cyclone or any other toy hauler, I just like the luxury of my Landmark and don't want to sacrifice it just to have my Wing with me):cool:.

irvin56

tow buddy???

sorry for the dummy Question
what is that.??

I think I say one on a link somewhere but not sure.
Is it like a small 5th wheel dolly the big trucks use, with its own wheels set and hooks up to the hitch reciever for pull trailers :confused:

klindgren

Tow Buddy

That's exactly what it is. When attached to the 3 point hitch (Class 5 Receiver Hitch being one point)the Tow Buddy becomes a "tag axel" which means it pulls straitht behind the truck. Going around corners unloaded the unit with bouce slightly and skuff the tires because they stay in line with the truck. With the 5er loaded onto the Tow Buddy, it acts more like a tag-a-long than a 5er.

I meant to take a picture two weeks ago when I was pulling everything up to Richmond to teach. Just plain forgot to do so.:( We are going camping Memorial day weekend and taking our bike with us, so I'll have an opportunity to get a couple of pictures then.:)

irvin56

Thanks for the info

They do save a truck load of space:D

They look like a neat unit.
I imagine they come with different weight ratings also?

SmokeyBare

Here's a couple photos.... of a Tow Buddy Tag Axle.

Attachments

• picofdolly1jpg_jpg_w560h401.jpg
    picofdolly1jpg_jpg_w560h401.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 108
  • TowBuddy_JPG_w300h225.jpg
    TowBuddy_JPG_w300h225.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 117
bill40
An air hitch does wonders for the ride in your truck. While going down the road it is amazing to see how much the hitch absorbs the movement of the 5th wheel.
With that being said be careful when choosing an air hitch for your rig, and which manufacturer you choose. We had the Trail Air installed on our 3400RL when we purchased it new. Within months it started rusting and the paint started peeling off. We had many contacts with both the dealer (Trail Air never responded to the dealer) and Steve Kennel at Heartland. Below is a copy of the response Steve received from Lippert who owns Trail Air. If this is what they call their “USUAL RESPONSE” to a paint issue just imagine what the response will be to a structural issue.
Steve
Below is our usual response about the paint application issue. Please note that the class C finish is not a protective finish. It is cosmetic.

Lippert Components, Inc. uses a Manual Powdercoat process, which is applied and sold as a Class C Finish. In the powdercoating industry there are various levels of application; some customers misunderstand this process and are under the impression our powdercoat should be the same application as used in the automotive industry that would typically be a Class A or Class B finish. As stated above our Powdercoat system provides a Class C finish. In addition, Lippert Components, Inc. does not offer warranty coverage on paint.

Michael Locke
Lippert Comp. Service & Warranty

We also have the Mor Ride and it is fantastic.
Thanks
Saukville Bob

bill40

Thanks Steve, it was my understanding the Mor Ride and air bags would cut down on both problems the most. The air bags may just help the empty ride of our 3500 a little. Not bad on the highway but back roads you know its a 1 ton.

irvin56

More about safety then hitchs but has good info

One of our members posted this on Northtrailers site
fdechaine== found this hitch scale to weight tongue or 5th wheel hookup.
but I found the other trailer links more interesting about braking, level, chains, hookups. etc etc.

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

enthuz

TT Hitch Confusion

I'm narrowed down to the Hensly Arrow or the Propride 3P. However I can't decide on which one is better. I know they are designed by the same man and the 3P is newer. Is it just one of those cases where I can't go wrong with either one? Price is not a factor, but yet a bonus if I end up going with the 3P, since safety and performace is number 1 (and 2).

I know we have more 5ers here than TTs here, but since most of you previously owned a TT before, I hope you can offer your wisdom.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Gerald,

Take a look at this link //heartlandowners.org/showpost.php?p=47517&postcount=13

In this link I list a link to Pullrite trailer hitch that has no sway.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I second the Pullrite TT hitch. Used several of them for years...even had Pullrite make me a new 20,000lb hitch which allowed me to leave my spare tire in place on the Dodge 1 ton. We used that hitch on a 33ft TT, which we started fulltiming in. Towed like a dream!!

I don't think you can find a better TT hitch anywhere...including the Hensley, as I found them to be too complicated with too many parts. JMHO.:)

If money is no object, then you might want to look at Pullrite too.

rick_debbie_gallant

One problem I see is the wheels will skid or scrape when turning. Are these things really legal?
How would they help with a fifth wheel set up

wyleyrabbit

I cannot believe the "Tow Buddy" is safe or even legal. I'm pretty sure you're just asking to be interrogated by the state troopers or RCMP (if in Canada). Their website says they comply with the NHTSA standards, but I'm skeptical.

wyleyrabbit

Tow Buddy - seems like asking for trouble. I just found this picture on their site. Towing a 5th wheel with a van??? You've got to be kidding. Maybe my VW Jetta TDI can tow my Bighorn with one of these? Sheesh.

TowBuddy.JPG.w300h225.jpg

klindgren

Tow Buddy - seems like asking for trouble. I just found this picture on their site. Towing a 5th wheel with a van??? You've got to be kidding. Maybe my VW Jetta TDI can tow my Bighorn with one of these? Sheesh.
All I can say wyleyrabbit is that I love mine. It's legal because it is attached to the truck in a 3-point, solid (it does not pivot) hitch making it an extension of the truck and not a towed vehicle.

Here in Virginia it is illegal to tow tandum unless you are a professional. That's why I got the tow buddy. I had been looking at a 5th wheel and then a small trailer to put the Wing on to tow behind the 5th wheel....that is until I found out that set up is illegal. I've had my tow buddy a little over two years and have used it quite a bit....haven't been stopped by the cops yet (knock on wood).:)

The only caveat I know of is that your TV has to have a class 5 hitch and has to have the horses to pull the entire set-up. Not sure a van would qualify but my F-450 sure does.

Keith