Hitch height

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Can someone post some pictures of the hitch and trailer hooked up? I'd like to get an idea about how much distance most people have.

I'm stumped on this one. I've seen distances of 1 inch to 6 + inches.

Any pictures would be appreciated.

ct0218

About 5-6 inches is normal, varies a little because of truck and hitch differences. I'd bet that a around 4 inches or less there will be crunched bed rails.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Here ya go buddy. I usually have 6" - 8" clearance with everything even with my 2wd tail in the air Dodge.

Hooked to a 35' Heartland Big Country
IMG00215.jpg

A 38' Newmar Kountry Aire
IMG00191.jpg

IMG00194.jpg

A 40' Keystone Fuzion
IMG00186.jpg

My 29' Fleetwood Wilderness
IMG00252.jpg

IMG00251.jpg

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
That is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

:confused: Why........ You know that shiney new truck & trailer will have bullseyes painted on them until they get their first scratch and/or ding.

Might as well just get it over with.None

5erWonk

I recently checked with B&W because I bought a new 4x4 and transferred my 5th Wheel Companion, they recommend 6" minimum clearance.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I had 4" clearance and it wasn't enough, my hitch cover hit the top of the bed during a sharp turn. I had to buy 8 new longer U-bolts and made 1 1/4" blocks to raise the 5th wheel up.

Attachments

• PICT0034.JPG
    PICT0034.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 29

buckeyebob

hitch height

i had 5.5 inches of clearance and i put a real slight dimple in my bed rail.the state park turn around circlewas downhill and 5er bottom hit.i raised hitch up to highest position and now have 7.5.hitched up but havent towed yet.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
i had 5.5 inches of clearance and i put a real slight dimple in my bed rail.the state park turn around circlewas downhill and 5er bottom hit.i raised hitch up to highest position and now have 7.5.hitched up but havent towed yet.

How much is your 5th wheel running uphill now? I can see how the weight on the axles will be unbalanced so i'm trying to keep everything level. I have a feeling i'll be upgrading to 16" wheel/tires soon as they are 2.45" taller than the factorys.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have 8.5 inches clearance between my bed and the bottom of the trailer over the bed. I had the 6k axles replaced with 7k axles which raised my trailer up at least 3". I raised my hitch and lowered the pinbox and my trailer is riding level. I have 16" rims with XP Rib tires.

I checked the level of the trailer when I was on the cat scales when I last had it weighed.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I have 8.5 inches clearance between my bed and the bottom of the trailer over the bed. I had the 6k axles replaced with 7k axles which raised my trailer up at least 3". I raised my hitch and lowered the pinbox and my trailer is riding level. I have 16" rims with XP Rib tires.

I checked the level of the trailer when I was on the cat scales when I last had it weighed.

Some of that is going to be part of my next upgrade. Thanks, dood.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lefty, has your TV ever been hooked to the Horn yet? Just so you know, the bed rails on the new Chevy's are 1 1/2" higher that the old body style. Bob:cool:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, has your TV ever been hooked to the Horn yet? Just so you know, the bed rails on the new Chevy's are 1 1/2" higher that the old body style. Bob:cool:

No, never been hooked up. I bought the truck nearly a year after I bought the trailer.