door replacements

Rmcgrath53

I am thinking of replacing the 3 flush doors in our Sundance with 6 panel doors. Home depot has them that are painted, primed for 19.00 a piece. I would cut them down to fit. I dont know if you can stain those kind or not.The real wood ones are around a hundred bucks a piece. I would replace the toilet room, sliding door and the back bedroom door.For 19 bucks I may do the toilet one first and see how it looks finished. Or wait and do the wood ones? Anybody done this and how did you finish them?

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Doors

The doors can indeed be stained, I replaced the flimsy door on Our Agusta that leads to the bedroom with a primed six panal door like the one leading to the bath, I went to sherman-williams paint store with a sample piece ie... cabinet door and the clerk sold me a two stage paint,one to give it the color needed and the other to add tone, the color came out looking good... Take your new door and sample piece to paint store and they can set you up after looking over the material that you will be working with.
Hope this helps :),
Mike

ct0218

Almost all hollow-core doors (which is everything except a solid wood door), especially in that price range, are hollow with nothing more than a 2x2 around the four edges of the door, and cardboard spacers mid-panel. You cannot cut one down except for maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the edges where no hinges or hangers attach. Trimming the attachment side will result in too little wood tho support the door weight. You can cut more off the bottom, however, it will be open into the core.

SmokeyBare

If you do need to cut the bottom... a replacement filler can be glued back in place of the one you just cut away. Cutting the sides is risky... the hinges need enough wood strength to support the always moving door... cut too much off the handle side... you might not have enough material to support the handle and locking bolt.

Have FUN !

Marv

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As others have said, do not cut the sides except for maybe a 1/4" or so if really needed. All residential doors come in standard widths starting any where from 20" up to 36" and 78" high. They probably can be special ordered in other sizes. But yes, if you can get the right width, it should be an easy change out.

Rmcgrath53

Thanks for all the replys I am glad to hear that those doors are stainable. As far as cutting and peeling off the veneer then plug and then reglueing,I have done that many times before. The door measure 24x72 ,24x72,26x72
the last is a slider. I will be able to get 2 24x80 doors and cut a little off the top and then more off the bottem, then scrape the thin veneer off the plug , then glue it back into the door. The tricky one will be to get a 28 inch door and cutting it lengthwize 1 inch off each side because I didnt see any 26 inch doors at home depot.

Last edited:

ct0218

Cutting a 2/4 down to 26" will be tough, not much leeway. You can look at either end and see just how big the side rails are though, and they do vary from one mill to the next. Did you check to see if you had clearance for a 2/4? In my Landmark there is plenty of room, but each model is a little different.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're replacing the sliding/pocket type doors from the factory with something from the home center, check the weights. Not too sure the hardware on the OEM doors will take much more than what's already there.