12 hour drive with my fur child

happycampernc

I don't like the idea of my kitty riding for 12 hours in the trailer but I know that we can't have her in the truck because she would have to have water and be able to use the litter pan. Besides that she would drive us crazy with her meowing. Any ideas on how to deal with her. Before anyone asks no we can not have someone watch her as she is diabetic and needs her shots twice a day.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We are facing the same dilemma. We have a newly acquired kitty and even a short trip to the vet was annoying. I've thought about leaving him in the trailer but I thought he may freak out and not be normal when we stop to set up. So I welcome any suggestions as well. Other than get rid of the cat.:rolleyes:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
happycampernc, our kitty is 17 years old and we take him everywhere. He does ride in the truck with us. I put down the rear seats in our cc GMC, line the floor with old carpet, add a litter box and water bowl. When he gets in the truck the first thing he does is barf. We know it is going to happen so we are prepared. He complains for about an hour then settles in and rides on the consol between us. We have thought about him riding in the coach, but we would not know what is going on back there. Best to put up with his complaining for an hour.
Peace
Dave

Paul & Nan

Have you thought about a travel kennel, you can get a water/food dish that hooks to the wire on the door. When you stop for fuel/rest, let kitty or puppy out to do it's business. That way the fur child can ride in truck or trailer in safety and if you add their favorite blankie and toy they can enjoy the ride. Nan

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Taalk to your vet about a mild tranquilizer. Or, get a bunch of catnip..

Used to keep my girl more than occupied.

Man, I do miss that cat...sigh.

Ray LeTourneau

Taalk to your vet about a mild tranquilizer. Or, get a bunch of catnip..

Used to keep my girl more than occupied.

Man, I do miss that cat...sigh.
I like the idea of the tranquilizer. I didn't think of that. I'll check with our vet for a mild one.

cjbearden

Visitor
Our Lady doesn't like to ride in the truck but there are times we insist. We put her favorite bed, disposable litter pan and small water bowl in the truck. She meows almost constantly and roams. Constantly petting her head, around her ears, is the only thing that calms her for a while. You think her voice would give out. Eventually (about 3 hrs later), she will attempt to lie down and nap but she fights it. Ever so often we hear a tiny little mew and we silently laugh. Tell her to be quiet and she meows back at us.

If the weather is not too cold or too hot, we do allow her to ride in the RV. She likes to lie on the carpet upstairs in the hall beside the bed. She gets to go to sleep (she is an all day sleeper and we think this is what makes her so cranky in the truck plus she doesn't like the truck sound) and seems not to be bothered at all. A couple of times we have found barf but that is usually when we have been traveling very rough roads. We stop about every hour for our own comfort and to check on her when she is in the RV. Most of the time, she meets us at the door with a very sleepy look on her face or she just stays lying in the floor where she sleeps. If we stop long enough, she goes to her food bowl or to the litter box or to get a drink.

I know riding in the RV is not the smoothest ride and sometimes not the safest if a door comes open or something decides to slide out of position. We have traveled with her for three years and now feel comfortable with whatever makes a better ride for her.

We do have a good size cage, which she hates, so rarely use it. In fact, it will be up for sale at the Goshen Rally - $40. It is large enough for two cats, a small litter pan, and small combo food/water dish. Great for keeping cats in when having RV work done inside. Lady loves service techs and enjoys their attention. So far we have had no problems with her getting out while RV is in for service. We just post a note on the door to remind techs she is inside.

Good luck with traveling with your fur kid!! It is an adventure:eek:

ct0218

One of our cats is 14, and is very much like Dave's--almost identical. Not a problem though.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I like the idea of the tranquilizer. I didn't think of that. I'll check with our vet for a mild one.

"Lemme tell you what you can do with that tranquilizer pill, Jack." We're going to experiment with taking Terrible Max (pictured here) and Ms. Allie on our summer trips to the lakes. Otherwise, we'll use the young lady that's taken care of them for the past two seasons when we're away. They get to stay home instead of the kennel and she makes extra college money...and it's a lot less than the kennel fees. The other benefit is that someone is checking the house daily, too.

kkamshop

Our cats both ride in the truck with the back seat folded down. We have a carrier that we bungie to the seat, a small litter box (which is rarely used) and a bowl of food and water. Neither cat will eat while riding, but will get a drink when we stop for fuel or food.
Usually at the meal stops, we will transfer them to the trailer for their comfort.
We haven't taken them in the new unit yet however and I worry about getting them to come to us with the slides in. Maybe we could close the bedroom door and keep them in there.

Also, they are mostly quiet, I am not sure I could stand hours of mewing!!! :)

Ray LeTourneau

"Lemme tell you what you can do with that tranquilizer pill, Jack." We're going to experiment with taking Terrible Max (pictured here) and Ms. Allie on our summer trips to the lakes. Otherwise, we'll use the young lady that's taken care of them for the past two seasons when we're away. They get to stay home instead of the kennel and she makes extra college money...and it's a lot less than the kennel fees. The other benefit is that someone is checking the house daily, too.
John, That Max is one big kitty! :eek: Ours is a little tabby much like on a couple of TV commercials. We're still not sure which way to go but will try the carrier in the truck with us and the dog. He may settle down after a while I hope.

Attachments

• 100_0516.JPG
    100_0516.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 32

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Our fur kids ride in the truck and we have fun with the attention they get from toll takers and motorists. They wear halter collars and when we are getting in and out of the truck we leash them so they can't make a mad dash. My biggest fear was losing one of them on the road. They ride primarily in the back seat but when their favorite bed is on the center console, they will both squeeze into the bed. The litter box is there and trust me they use it! It will cause you to ride with the windows down for awhile. Food & water are on the floor but they rarely eat on the road. Sox likes to ride looking out the back window(remember to lock the power windows in case they step on the button) and schooz will settle down after about 15 minutes. We have taken them for 14 hours with no problems. Although, they did chew through 4 halter collars before they realized I wasn't going to give up. They wear them all the time now.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, That Max is one big kitty! :eek: Ours is a little tabby much like on a couple of TV commercials. We're still not sure which way to go but will try the carrier in the truck with us and the dog. He may settle down after a while I hope.

Ray, your little guy is a cutie. Looks a lot like our first cat (1974 - 1989) did when he was a kitten. Zoom to present, Max is all of 15 pounds and tall at the shoulder. All muscle. Ms. Allie is much smaller but a bit over 11 pounds. Max annoys her, but when she's had enough, she kicks his patootie.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've been fulltime for four years. We started out with two cats and one dog. The dog is 70lbs and rides in the truck with us. The cats always have ridden in the trailer without issue.

One is gone now (old age), the other seems to know when we're getting ready to go. She goes up and lays on the pillows on the bed...and that's where she stays the entire trip...and we've done quite a few 12 hour days due to our business. We put the litter pan on the floor in front of the bathroom sink, and make sure she has water every time we stop.

Cats adjust well and usually will just find a safe comfortable place to sleep. I know some don't like the idea, but it works for us.:)

worzit

We took our two cats on their first trip (and ours) this month. We gave them a mild sedative the first day and they rode in the truck with us. They were a little restless. The second day they just slept all day and were restless at night. We enjoyed their company so much camping that they will surely be a part of our other trips.

happycampernc

Thanks for the help. We have the truck full of people riding so she will have to stay in the trailer. DH has to figure out a way to block the entrance under the slide out that she got into the last time she rode in there.

trvlrerik

We have airline approved pet carriers for our 2 dogs and 7 cats, I have them strapped down in the toy box with nothing in the carrier other than their fuzzy beds. We stop every couple of hours and check on them. We have a 12V electric heater for the winter. We have not figured out summer time yet, chances are they will not be safe in the summer unless I can figure out really good ventilation to keep the toy box cool.
Animals are shipped in airplanes the same way we travel with them.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have airline approved pet carriers for our 2 dogs and 7 cats, I have them strapped down in the toy box with nothing in the carrier other than their fuzzy beds. We stop every couple of hours and check on them. We have a 12V electric heater for the winter. We have not figured out summer time yet, chances are they will not be safe in the summer unless I can figure out really good ventilation to keep the toy box cool.
Animals are shipped in airplanes the same way we travel with them.

We've never had a problem with the trailer getting too hot, even on the hottest, longest travel days. We have a digital thermometer on the wall between the kitchen and bedroom at the steps and it's never reached 80 degrees, even when it's hitting 100 outside. Cats love warmth anyway...I wouldn't stress over the temperature.:)

Edd and Janet

Berry and I travel with 2 cats. They travel in the 6th wheel. We are going to start making them stay in the bedroom as this will make for a smoother ride for them. Berry is going to figure out something to trap them in the bedroom. Only once did we try allowing the cats to travel with us in the truck. NOT!!!!!