another full time question

Bobby A

We will begin full time 4-1-09, after reading another post in regards to P.O. Boxes, I guess I haden't thought about it but I was unaware you couldn't use a p.o box on your drivers license, makes sense now that I've thought about it. But hear is my question. We live in Michigan, we have leased out our home, since we still own it, can we continue to use the address for our drivers license ?? We do stay at a campgrounds in Michigan for the summer, so I guess I could use that address as my physical address for my drivers license if I had to.
Thank,
Bobby A

SmokeyBare

Bobby,

Many Full Timers select a "Home State" that offer the type of services they desire... such as low insurance rates... low Tax Rates... Favorable License services for their RV... There may be many more reasons for others in choosing their Home State.

In fact that you hold title to property in Michigan... sure you can use that for a Home State location... for your driver license as well as vehicle plates and insurance... and most important where Uncle Sam and the State of Michigan will send your tax documents.

I always believe it's BEST to use the same state for the drivers license as well as vehicle plates and of course your vehicle insurance... although you may find some don't follow that idea...

If your not interested in reducing your Taxes by changing your Home State... If you've already bought your RV and Truck... no other future BIG Tax items... If the RV and Truck Insurance is not a problem for you... I'd say stay with Michigan.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The problem with using the home you still own as you address on you driver's license is any correspondence concerning your license such as renewals will be sent to that address. If you trust the person leasing your house to get your mail and then forward it on to you then that might work. However, mail forwarding for full timers is the way to go in my opinion. Many full-timers use states that do not have a state income tax in order to save money. Texas is one of those states with not state income tax. For more information about using Texas check out the Escapees. Their link is http://escapees.com/about.asp

Bobby A

Thank you guys for your quick resposes as this is happening so quickly for us. I'm usually very good at doing my homework, but as this is a new adventure in our lives, I'm sure there will be many more things that come up.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One other thought I just had was at the Escapade in Gillette, Wy last year there was a guy with a booth promoting South Dakota as a home base. There were a lot of pluses to his pitch such as renewal of your Driver's license and license plates by mail and such. I know you can renew your license plates by mail and driver's license on the internet in Texas which is very convenient. It just goes to show you when you see a Full-time RVer's license plate, it doesn't necessarily mean they are from that state. We have a saying in Texas and that is are you a paper Texan or a real Texan. LOL Paper Texans have a Livingston,Texas address and are usually Escapees.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thank you guys for your quick resposes as this is happening so quickly for us. I'm usually very good at doing my homework, but as this is a new adventure in our lives, I'm sure there will be many more things that come up.
Bobby A, Do you have any kids whose address you could use? We use our Son's Illinois address and most everything goes to his house. We leave him money for forwarding mail. We talk often enough to screen our mail too so the junk mail get trashed. We also use one of his spare direct tv receivers so our satellite only costs us $5 but we don't get networks. It's been working good for a little over a year now.

Bobby A

Thanks Ray, Yes, I do have a relative I could probably use there address, I just figured that since the rental house is still owner by me (and providing we have a good relationship with the renters) if I could use the address that I own. I would have all other mail forwarded to a p.o.box, just leave the license alone. Also, I do have dish network satellite and plan to take the dish with me, our neibors at the campgrounds do the same thing you described, what a deal !!
Bobby

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bobby A..
What will you do when your local Court system sends you a Jury Duty notice.

Last time I received a Jury Duty notice I called the county clerks office in Livingston and told them where I was and that I was an Escapee. They told me to come by the next time I was in town. I did that.. No problem.

Just a thought.

aatauses

hey BobbyA,
We had a similar problem in FL---the Dept of motor vehicle changed our license to have the make/model and license of our RV?? something new they just started. As far as mail we subscribe to the good sam forwarding service and it is working fine
aatauses