Midwest Year Round Campground

jpjulian

We just returned from a weekend at Caboose Lake Campground in Remington, Indiana. We have been to Caboose Lake twice before and it has proven to be a good location for us for an early spring shakedown trip. They are open all year with full hookups. We weren't too happy that a site we reserved was hijacked by some folks in a half-million doller coach shortly prior to our arrival. We chose to not make a scene and chose a nearby back-in rather than the pull-through we reserved. This campground is midway between Chicago and Indianapolis off I-65 at
MP 201. We went there to unwinterize and assure all systems are working for upcoming trips. There is a lake for fishing and swimming during appropriate weather. WIFI is also available. Big rigs are easily accomidated but there are many seasonal sites which may or may not be occupied this early in the season. We were in a site with 30 amp electrical. We had several instances of electrical outages due to the 30 amp circuit breaker tripping over the course of the 2 days were there. There was rain Saturday night followed by snow Sunday morning and the moisture may have been an issue. We evaluated our electrical usage and determined we should not have exceded 30 amps to trip the breaker. Having been to this campground twice previously at a similar time of year with no prior electrical issues, I have no idea what caused this anomoly but management was advised of the problem upon our departure. The "A" sites are furthest away from the interstate. The "C" sites are closest to the interstate with accompaning noise but the majority of them are pull-through sites. Those that are not are on the lake and would be desirable for seasonable use. This is a Good Sam Park. This is a clean and well tended park, but if there is a drawback, there is only one bathhouse and those in the "C" sites will have a lengthy walk or will have to drive to the bathhouse. Remington is a quaint little town with but not a whole lot to do while there. There is a well stocked Ace Hardware, an IGA supermarket, a package liquor store, and a couple rather nice neighborhood restaraunts in the "business district". We like local food and were not disapointed. There are also 2 major truck stops at the exit with ULSD. This is not a bad place to spend a night, weekend or maybe a season. Anyone else been there with other opinions?

jj

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We stayed there in September of 2007 for 1 night. It is a decent campground but we thought it was kind of noisy. There were lots of families with young children there and we were in a pull-through closest to the freeway. I was impressed with the owner because dw told me to turn in a driveway next to the park and I had to back out of it. The owner saw this wrong turn and came over and helped us back out onto the main highway and get to the park. A park employee drove around selling firewood at dusk. We would probably stay there again for an overnighter. It is convenient to the freeway.