2005 Landmark Grand Canyon Would You Consider?

Hogladyrider

Looking for input on if you would consider a 2005 Landmark Grand Canyon as your first 5r to get your feet wet, especially if the price was right and you could own it outright with no loan...........or was the construction back then not on par with 2010.

I realize one has to consider the appliances, AC etc etc but I will post more after I go "touch and feel" the 5th wheel this evening after work, it is at a local dealer.

Right now we are looking for something to weekend camp and weekly ventures before we go all out and order a new 5th wheel.

Thanks.
Susan

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We currently own a 2005 Mt Rushmore which we bought new in November of 2004. We have had a few minor problems but nothing major.No problem at all with any of the appliances.In my opinion it would be a good idea to buy used especially since this is your first 5er and you can pay cash for it. I would want to have the unit plugged in and all the appliances running for a short time before I bought it to be sure all works well.Check the fridge and water heater on gas and electric.Also check the furnace and ac. Give it a good going over just as you would a car. I am sure others will weigh in on this question.We love our unit and if we ever buy another 5er it will be a Landmark.We looked at a new Landmark a few months ago and although it was nice we really liked ours better.If you have any questions I can help you with please send me a private message and I will see what I can do.

jpmorgan37

HLR;

As you can see from my signature, we have a 2006 Grand Canyon and are full time RV'ers. We love the fifth wheel and the way it is laid out, the amount of storage and the way it tows (make sure you have enough truck to comfortably and safely pull it). I would take a PDI check list and go over it with a critical eye. Buying used is a great idea for your first fiver and the Grand Canyon is a great choice. Here is a link to the PDI checklist that I posted some time ago: PDI Checklist

Good Luck

John

Bought a 2005 9-months ago (1st 5er) and agree with folks above - it's a solid rig and better in many ways/features than the new ones.

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
I would buy it--I like the Classic Landmarks more than the newer ones. The Grand Canyon is our 2nd Landmark. Before we had a Golden Gate 05 and we needed a different unit to go full timing. Good Luck and be sure to do a PDI on your unit.

Hogladyrider

Gave It A Once Over

Well I went to the dealer to look over the 2005 Landmark Grand Canyon and here is what I can share with you all.

This first comment is trivial I know but I can not resist. This is the FIRST USED RV I have gone into that did not smell used, it was very acceptable. Basically clean, I was very pleasantly surprised at the condition of the woodwork it seemed nicer than the newer models!

We will go back on Saturday when we have more time to crawl underneath and get on the roof, but I know the salesman is reputable and he had all the slides out and pointed out the two minor defects, one slide awning is torn on the roll, not affecting the awning just the place it is on on the roll. Next to the steps entering the RV on the right there is a dent, nothing major, looks like maybe a golf cart of something backed into the RV.

Since I am not mechanically inclined and my DH was not with me, the only cosmetic items I saw that concerned me were some what appeared to rust spots on some bolts and the chrome wheels had some rust on them.

Both TV's are in the unit, Toshiba's. The dining table has some scratches in the top but nothing more than cosmetic.

The salesman advised me that the RV is on consignment and they have had it about 3 months with several looks but no one had the truck that could pull it. WE DO! We have a Dodge dually with cummins.

My head games is in full mode now, because I am asking myself, if we purchase it, will we be able to get anything for it or even sell it 5 years down the road when we want to upgrade, if we can. What is the live expectancy of a well built RV?

Then the salesman showed me a 2010 Sundance, as this is the only line of Heartland they carry. Very nice as well, but $10k more than this unit.

The dealer is asking $28k for the Landmark, I will check NADA and see what I can find out.

Oh the undercarriage is clean, Goodyear "G" tires 16" rims. and the storage are is very clean and neat and all lines look in good shape and Motoryde system.

Lastly the unit has two 13,500 AC's and all the windows and seals are in great shape and have a nice tint on them.
Susan

PLEASE let me have your input, what else should we be looking for?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sounds very nice. You are lucky to find one that is clean like that at that price. Landmarks are very well built. If you didn't already know, that Landmark price new was about 3 times what they are asking for it now. I think any RV of that magnitude for that price is a real bargain and I am really really suprised it hasn't been sold already. Like others have said, for your first rig a used unit is a practical way to go to see how you like the RVing lifestyle. Again, at that price I don't see how you could go wrong.

Good luck,
Mark

trdeal

Sounds like a very nice unit.The Goodyear G rated tires are a plus,as well as the two air conditioners.I know what we gave for our unit and I think that what your dealer is asking is a good price.Check everything over very carefully.I say if the better half likes it and you feel that it fits your needs,go for it.

Tom of Ypsi

We have an 05 Landmark, Mt Rushmore, this is our home and love it. The unit you are looking at sounds like a winner to me and the price seems very good. Like others have said do a very thorough PDI and if anything is not right see if you can get it fixed. Longevity on these coaches or any other coaches for that matter depends on how well you take care of it. This coach should last you a long time.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our first coach was a used Alfa Gold (now out of business). We didn't even operate the slides before we bought it because it was such a great deal. We also had an extended warranty on it. I would find out how much an extended warranty would cost (just in case) and if everything works go for it. Sounds like a great buy. The only problem of starting with a top in unit is it is hard to go back down later LOL. The classic Landmarks do have some things the new ones don't and are lacking some the new ones have. One thing is sure, you would be getting one from a great company.

davebennington

These are nice units. I would check any updates that the factory has recommended, like the fresh water tank sagging there should be a steel brace to support the tank some where under the coach. This was a problem in some of the early units. Other than that I would go for it.

Good Luck

Dave

Hogladyrider

Where Is It

EXACTLY where is this unit??? :D Just kidding!! Sounds like a winner to me. Go get it.

It is a LONG drive from Oregon.

I do not mind sharing how I found it and anyone who wants to view the ad www.rvtraderonline.com and I searched for used 5th wheels. It is the ONLY 2005 Landmark I found.

My HESITATION is five years down the road will I be able to get anything ($$) for the unit, and find someone with a TV that can pull it.

flamingknitter

Technically, a 2005 Landmark is already 5 years old and its resale has gone from the $70's to the $20's. So - in another 5 years, you might not get a lot of money for it as a trade in. BUT - you are paying cash for it so you could save up what you might have made in payments to apply to a future 5er. To me, resale wouldn't be the deciding factor. It is a good rig, at a good price and it fits the bill right now. It doesn't get much better than than especially in this economy.

jbeletti

hlr,

I agree with Marybeth and others. On a 5 model year old unit, value a few years from now will be low vs what you may pay for it today. That said, this sounds like a nice deal on a nice unit.

If you can tow it, I would buy it if you feel all the systems work well and that structurally, it's in good shape. Inspect it very carefully from the roof to the underbelly.

Jim

I would agree with most of the other Landmark owners, we have looked at the newer Landmarks and like our 05 Golden Gate much better. We love the bedroom in unit. Got the itch taken it to the central coast next week.

drk

We own a 2005 Mount Rushmore Landmark. I would not trade it in for a new one. There are more amenities on the 2005 than new one. I would not take that price for mine

Hogladyrider

More Questions for You Experienced RVr's

We are going to the dealer tomorrow (Sat) to look at the Landmark again along with new Sundance's, as that is the only Heartland line this dealer carries. I just want my DH to see a Sundance we are leaning more towards the Big Country 3355 now if we decide to go with a new 2010.

Anyway, besides the great suggestions previously posted I have a couple of questions.

I intend to ask the dealer if the current owners have the original paperwork on the RV as I would like to see the "standards" and "options". The emblem on the rear of the unit says it came from Lazy Days here in Florida and it also has a LazyDays Club sticker as well.

Is there any way via serial number or otherwise that I can find out the history of this 5th wheel from Heartland to see if it has been kept up with any factory updates/add ons or recalls?

I made a note of the one post to check for a steel brace for the water tank, thanks.

Now I am REALLY confused, when you look at the pics of a Mt. Rushmore the RV we are looking at the layout looks just like a Mt. Rushmore NOT a Grand Canyon! Check it out.

I am surprised the unit does not have an oven, only a 3-burner Amana stove with a microwave.

Lastly how does one research to find out exactly what model this is because I have seen other Grand Canyon's this same year 2005 on the web and they have a wrap counter top and this unit does not so I am very curious. I will do a google search.

For anyone wanting to view the photos of the Landmark, here is the dealer where it is located, oh and it is on consignment with this dealer, it was not a trade.

www.campersinn.com it is at the Leesburg, FL location. The dealer told me they have had it for 3 months and lots of lookers but no one had a proper tow vehicle, which we do, we have a Dodge dually 3500 Cummins.

Thanks again, this is a big decision new or used, right now we are leaning towards new but we realize that means a six week wait as we would have to order the unit.
Susan

Last edited:

Retyred

2005 Grand Canyon

I looked at the pictures and it is a Mt. Rushmore model.
It looks to be a basic model with very few options.
Also it appears to be missing one of the leather chairs.
Looks like it was looked after and nice and clean.

Retyred

trdeal

Well,I just looked at the pictures and it looks just like our Mt. Rushmore. The only difference I see is the sofa and the dining room table chairs are a different color. We have the double door fridg. with icemaker.Looks like this unit has the single door fridg. As far as the stove goes,our Mt. Rushmore has the 3 burner stove and a convection microwave. My wife loves it.Bakes biscuits just like a regular oven.If you choose this unit I think you will be happy.