6.4L - Sounds like a Helicopter

VixPix

I've been reading posts from many of you Heartland owners, I liked what I saw so much that I ponied up the dough to become an official member. I drive an '08 F450 with 6.4L diesel and love it - my third Ford truck by choice. However, I've notice that under two circumstances while in Tow/Haul mode with my '08 Landmark hitched up that the engine begins making a sound like a helicopter. First, when accelerating aggressively it gets to a point where it makes this sound, not as strong as in the second scenario. Second, when coming down a steep grade and the engine is braking it makes a more pronounce chopper sound - like a big Chinook. My theory is that in the second condition there's not much happening in the cylinders - mostly pushing air for braking. Which leads me to wonder if in the first scenario if there's not enough fuel getting to all 8 cylinders and I've got a noisy air pusher? Anybody else experience this with their Powerstroke? (Hey, when the 16 year old daughter perks up and says, "Dad, what's that sound?" You know it seems out of place.) Appreciate your help!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You didn't say if this is your first Diesel.. If it is then you may have the same concerns I had when I first started towing my trailer.

I was on the highway to a campground and out of no where came this noise. I thought it was the transmission. Whoooooooooo I was high pitched and real loud.. It lasted for about a minute.. then it quit.. a little while down the road it did it again.. I pulled over and checked the transmission fluid. It was full.. The engine oil was full. Got in the truck and it did it again.. I called my Ford Service Manager in Dallas and talked to the lead technician. He laughed and said that it was ok.. It was the fan on the engine. The computer will turn on the cooling fan to help cool the engine. I told him it was not hot. He said that is what the computer is setup to do so don't worry about it and drive the He!! out of it.

I hear the noise when the truck starts to pull hard or I put my foot in the, Carb.... doesn't have one but you get the idea.. Check with a technician at the dealership were you bought it.. This happens even if I am in Tow/Haul

When driving in Tow/Haul and I come to a place where I slow down, going down hill or on flat ground. The RPM's go up and if you hit the breaks pretty hard it will put your nose on the dash, RPM's go up high. Again if your not sure talk to the tech at your dealership. Also if your is like mine... I asked the tech where did the engine red line. He said not to hold it over 3500 RPM's over about 20 minutes anything below that is ok..

One place you might go to get answers or find new questions is the Diesel Stop Forum..
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

BC

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sounds like the fan clutch is engaging to me. Unless Fords have electric cooling fans. Drive a Chebby and mine does it once in a while when hot and pulling. It has also come on on down grades when warm outside. My 2cts Bob:D

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When my turbo kicks in it sounds like a plane taking off. That might be some of the noise too.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
When we are going up a graded hill, our fan just blasts like a fan at high speed. It's like its trying to cool down the engine turbos, because when I remove my foot from the accelerator, it usually dies down pretty quickly. Temp never goes into the red either.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I've been reading posts from many of you Heartland owners, I liked what I saw so much that I ponied up the dough to become an official member. I drive an '08 F450 with 6.4L diesel and love it - my third Ford truck by choice. However, I've notice that under two circumstances while in Tow/Haul mode with my '08 Landmark hitched up that the engine begins making a sound like a helicopter. First, when accelerating aggressively it gets to a point where it makes this sound, not as strong as in the second scenario. Second, when coming down a steep grade and the engine is braking it makes a more pronounce chopper sound - like a big Chinook. My theory is that in the second condition there's not much happening in the cylinders - mostly pushing air for braking. Which leads me to wonder if in the first scenario if there's not enough fuel getting to all 8 cylinders and I've got a noisy air pusher? Anybody else experience this with their Powerstroke? (Hey, when the 16 year old daughter perks up and says, "Dad, what's that sound?" You know it seems out of place.) Appreciate your help!
I got the same reaction from my wife the first time she heard it.My 2007 does the same thing in the tow/haul mode.As others have said if it would make you feel better about it contact your service department. I am sure they can explain it all to you.

nhunter

I have a 6.0l in an 06 and I call mine the "plane". Then the fan clutch kicks in at full revs, look out! I haven't driven a 6.4l but I image it will be the same.

VixPix

You all are great! This is my second diesel, had an '05 6.0L. I like the plane description of the cooling fans kicking in and I've experienced that in spades - sound like a jet engine ripping the plane off the runway. The sound I'm hearing is distinctly like helicopter blades whoosh--whoosh--etc. I don't think it is a problem, but wondered if when I'm accelerating if I'm losing power due to lack of fuel from the pump. Just had new fuel filters installed last week while in St. Augustine, FL while on vacation. The sound occurred both before and after the fuel filter change.

I'll check with my local technician at the Ford dealer. Thanks for the suggestions. And, by the way nhunter, the cooling fans on the 6.4L shocked me the first few times they kicked in - they're considerably louder than my 6.0L was.

rob hutch

VixPix i too have a 450 2008 twin turbo ford went on vaca last year out west for five weeks my dually did the same thing went to four different dealers the last on in New Mexico reset computer put on new fuel filters problem is regeneration process generally every 400 -600 miles engine dumps raw fuel into exhaust system heating up to6000 degrees and exits exhaust as ash instead of soot causing loss of power and some very interesting comments which i will not repeat on this forum glad i am still under warrenty by the way just replaced rear end 2 wks ago other than the these are the only problems so far GOOD LUCK

creeper

Does your noise sound like a typewriter or a lifter tick on a gas engine? If so it's normal, lots of complaints to ford over it.

Just got my purchase of a 2008 ford f350 king Ranch reascended due to the vehicle doing a runaway while I was trying to stop (it was doing regeneration at the time). It suddenly started acceleration and all I could do was hold down the brake as hard as I could as it took off. It got to 5000 rpm before it stopped. I had an employee of the ford dealership with me at the time, We parked it and had a Tow truck take it back, I guess I am going to keep my 2000 f250 a while longer

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gee wizz guys, I cant believe all this stuff. Well if GM goes under I guess I will keep the ol' Chebby until the wheels fall off. It doesnt do any of those things described here. Even the new ones with the regen dont do it. Bob:D

Tom of Ypsi

So far I have no problems with our 6.4 with just under 10K on it. Remember what you read on the forums is only a small percentage of the owners of any product and it seems only the ones with trouble post. I would not hesitate to search for a US made truck and buy if I were in the market.

Peteandsharon

I still have the rumbling noise after I turn the 6.4 off. I was lead to believe that it was the turbos spooling down but I'm pretty convinced that it also is a fan noise. Seems the fan free wheels for a few seconds after shutting down and this often sounds very obvious. Just like your daughter, Victor, my wife NEVER pays attention to engine/truck noises. Even she looked at me and said "What was that????"

Like you guys, I love this 6.4 so far (after I got over the initial catastrophe on the way home from the dealer). However, that seems to be a huge difference between this and the previous 7.3L powerstroke. As I think back, I can't think I ever heard that fan clutch engage in 11 years of ownership. I towed a 7000 pound travel trailer all over including some hot Texas and Tennessee days. The temp guage would get to operating temperature and stay. And either the fan clutch on that was whisper quiet or it very seldom engaged. I used to say that nothing short of a nuclear blast could overheat that engine.

nhunter

I didn't think the 7.3l had a fan clutch until 1999. I know they used to be colder than heck in the winter and when I got my 99 it was actually warm.

nhunter

The 6.4l also has a exhaust gas recirculation system that the 7.3l didn't. That heats things up quite a bit, not to mention the 6.4l has a "catalytic converter" type thing that the 6.0l doesn't and likely adds more heat. For the 6.7l "Scorpion" engine Ford is bringing out I heard they had to raise and stretch the hood and angle a larger radiator to cool it.

On edit: Ford enlarged the the radiator by 33% from the 6.0 to the 6.4 and is being reported to enlarge it by another 10-20% for the 6.7l.
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/ne...rhood-pics-of-ford-scorpion-diesel-spied.html

VixPix

UPDATE: Helicopter Sound

After a listening ride with a mechanic, he describes my helicopter sound as: 'Turbo Bark.' He says it is the turbo turning so fast that it is causing cavitation in the turbo due to lack of air (I had this happen with a power boat propeller before but hadn't thought about it with a turbo.) Changed out the air filter as a first potential remedy. That didn't work. I'll need to take it into a Ford dealer for a warranty look further when I have some time to leave the rig there. Apparently my rig is an early model year production. The mechanic said this was rare and should be addressed by Ford.

Bugs in the 6.4

I just got my 09 250 about a month ago and i had a runaway problem after the wrench lite came on in the dash . Bout scared the boogoo out of the wife when it did it. I took it back to the dealership and they found that the problem was a bad gas pedal. They checked for software revisions but i was up to date. After that everything has been great. I will allways use a ford to pull my stuff.... Can't wait to see the new scorpion engine ...I

DntDctr

My 06 6.0 made a funny noise, then a little chugging then a poof!...Blew the turbo 180 miles from home with the trailer,wife,2yr old and 3 mth old...That was fun!..At least I get to drive us all 180 miles again this weekend to pick up the ford at the dealer then another 90 miles to pick up the trailer and return home....Ironically I said 15 min's before the turbo blew...I love my truck....Ask me now.