I don't understand the refer

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Brand new refrigerator. I got the 9 Cuft with Ice maker. Two questions

1) I can't seem to get the automatice ice maker to work. Refrigerator is cooling nicely, but no ice. The bar shut off is in the down position and I'm hooked up to city water. Is there some other place I need to turn on water to the ice maker for the first time? The refrigerator owners manual is absolutely no help.:confused:

2) The refrigerator is on auto, but the LP light is also lit even though I'm on shore power. I have switched the refer off and on a couple of times, but the LP light still comes on. To my inexperienced brain, if the LP light is on, I'm using gas instead of shore power. Any thoughts.

Thanks much.

ct0218

Check with a meter to be sure that you have both 12V and 120V supplied to the unit-that would be checking at the outside access door. It is obvious you have 12V, but it sounds like the unit is either unplugger or plugged into a bad outlet (or tripped outlet). Is there a shut-off valve somewhere on the water line enroute to the refrigertaor? I have one on mine.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Keith, Jim B's the expert on the Pinehurst. PM him to see if he can give you some ideas.

CrazyScotsman

On my BH under the sink is a small valve you have to open in order to get the water to ice maker, if that is open, check that the water line doesn't have a kink in it like mine did. I scratched my head forever trying to figure out why no ice was being made. If water is on, and no ice crawl under the sink and start messing with the water line, mine was kinked where it went in behind the oven.
Hope this help's. Cheers Ken

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
1. CHECK THE BELOW.
2. Go on the outside of your rv TO THE BACK OF THE REF., take a flat screwdriver and twist the 2 little black plastic "things" to take the cover off. There should be a regular receptacle in there, the ref. Is plugged into it. Also the "ice maker" should be plugged into it, ours was not plugged in by our dealer.
3. Back on the inside of the rv, pull the drawer out that is below the ref. Put your hands on both sides of the drawer and you will find 2 plastic small spring loaded arms, push one and pull the other, it will release the drawer slides so you can pull the drawer out, look behind the drawer for a clear plastic water line going up and down, mine was kinked. Also look for an on/off water valve on the line.
4. If you don't find the water valve, go back outside under the ref. And trace the water line back to the incoming water line (hose). Mine was located on the back side of the docking station. You will find the clear plastic water line hooked to one of the water lines, turn it on. Then go inside the ice maker and be sure the metal wire is pushed down, to turn the ice maker on. Wait 2 hours and you should have ice. Throw the first 2 or so loads of ice away. Then make a nice adult beverage and look out the back window and enjoy camping...........CHECK THE FUSES AND BREAKERS ALSO TO SEE IF ANY ARE TRIPPED.

CrazyScotsman

If it's like mine Kenny , there is only 1 plug in the back. I done what you said when I was trying to get my ice maker working, but was a KINKY line.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
if it's like mine kenny , there is only 1 plug in the back. I done what you said when i was trying to get my ice maker working, but was a kinky line.

i copied and pasted that reply to somebody else on a similar question on this forum. I also had a kinked line under the ref. Behind the cabinet. Seems like they are using the same guy to install the icemakers and he is leaving too much tubing in the wrong places. Mine has 2 plugs in the back (outside) of the ref. The ref. And ice maker are pluged into the same outside recep. On mine. Kenny

klindgren

Thanks Kenny and Ken. It's too dark outside right now, but I'll check it as soon as the sun comes up. The first thing I checked was the breakers and fuses and the GFI circuit. Especially after reading "boat to 5er's" problem with his refer.

When doing the PDI, we looked behind the refer, but I don't remember if there was one plug or two but I don't think it's electric because I can't feel any water in the ice maker tray. Also did not look for a separate valve nor a water kinked line. I'll follow both of your suggestions and see what I find. Thanks much

klindgren

You guys are GOOD!!!

Well at first light (or maybe a little later) I took Ken & Kenny's suggestions. Pulled the outside access plate to the refer. Sure enough, their was an electrical plug not connected. Plugged it in, went back inside...no LP light on the refer. We're on electric. Sure is amazing what one little plug can do.:)

While I was at the outside access I could see the clear plastic hose for the ice maker and it looked like there was no water in it. Went back inside and looked under the sink and lo and behold there's a valve on a clear plastic water line. Turned the valve and now there's water running through the line. Sure is amazing what one little valve can do.:)

Now I need to come home at lunch time and see if there are ice cubes in the bin.

Thanks Ken & Kenny This forum is the GREATESTNone

klindgren

Well, my ice maker is working and it isn't. Made 6 ice cubes since 7 AM today. Talked to my dealer and he said it should have been recycled at least 3 times to get the water flowing. Probably has air in the lines.

I'm afraid I got the guy who did our PDI in trouble. Tim (the owner of Chesapeake RV Solutions) was pretty upset that this was not done during the PDI and I should have been shown it was making ice. Heck, I was happy it was freezing in the compartment. Never had an ice maker before, so I wasn't sure what I was looking for. Tim said to recycle I needed to turn the wheel under the front cover of the ice maker. I tried turning it, but didn't want to force it. Tim is coming over to the house tomorrow morning to "fix" the problem. -- Now that's Service!!

VixPix

Keith,
One thing you may want to check in addition to all of the suggestions given. On my Augusta, I have the ice maker supply line shutoff valve accessible outside behind the access cover. Later, I also found a second valve hidden behind the completely screwed in wooden walls in the basement. There was a valve near the water pump. Guess when you winterize you can shut this valve off and no water goes to the slide-out unit where it is more susceptible to freezing. That's nice, but it should be more easily accessible. Check to see that that valve is not half open and restricting water flow. Just a thought, you may not have a valve there on the Pinehurst.

Regards,
Victor

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Great, glad you "almost" have ice.
I would check you have the metal wire in the down position since you have been working on the unit. Also, start at the bottom of the ref. Unit and trace the clear ice maker line back to the incoming water line. You may have a kink in the line. Also check behind the docking station, i still bet there is a shut off valve there that is not turned on all the way, or has a kink in there somewhere.

wdk450

Icemaker

Gang:
I went through this last weekend with my Bighorn 3670RL. I finally found the only water shutoff in the compartment behind the dump pull knobs. I disconnected the water line from the icemaker solenoid valve in the outside refrigerator access, turned on the shutoff valve and let it squirt water for a while to remove the air in line, and get fresh water in there for better tasting ice. I then turned off the shutoff, reconnected the line to the solenoid valve, and turned the shutoff back on. From what everybody relates, there must be at least 3 locations for this vave, and some units have multiple valves.
I hope it is all better for you now.