Springs

boatdoc

A Oh!!! I think my springs have sprung or do they come with flat spots, I think not. Never seen a boat trailer with them like this.

Attachments

• springs 007.jpg
    springs 007.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 243
  • springs 008.jpg
    springs 008.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 247
  • springs 005.jpg
    springs 005.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 251
  • springs 003.jpg
    springs 003.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 237

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Oh Gary! That looks terrible. Hope you can get those taken cre of son so the don't interfere with important stuff like camping and rallies!
Good Luck,
Kristy

Niles

Ours looked the same way after the first season. Lippert sent me new springs and U-bolts, changed them myself. It's not a real big job, however was disappointed when all done. I don't think the new ones set that much better than old ones. If they bow down again I'll go to a local shop here and have them made, so I know where the metal came from.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mine is very similar to that. Interestingly enough it's the same wheel. Left rear. The other 3 look fine. Mine still has an arch so I'll be keeping an eye on it and hope to get it resolved if necessary at Goshen. I'll be adding the wet bolt kit at that time as well.

boatdoc

Lippert does the Normal!!

I think I'm getting the run around from Lippert The first phone call is, I pay for the new springs and send the old ones back for testing to make sure we didn't overload the trailer. $50.00 each when I can buy Dexters for $35.00 each or take it back to the dealer and he can send them the springs and they do the work, sooooo let me see, up and back the 35 miles to the dealer twice, once to inspect, once to do the work and all the hassels with hitching and loading I'm thinking $140.00 is a lot better and easier for me. Fricken Lippert!!!!!
When they find that we didn't overload they will pay us back, yea right.
Also said they have not had any problem with these, Geez!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yesterday I went under with a 2 or 3 lb. hammer and whacked the spring leaves back in line and noticed the U bolts seemed cocked on a bit of an angle. I tapped them with the hammer and they moved back in line. I got out a 3/4" wrench and the U bolts were a bit loose. I got about a full turn on the nuts using only the wrench and no cheater. I checked all of the other U bolts and they were tight. Maybe I solved the problem. I'll check next week after we travel a while and see if they move again. My springs all seem to have the same arch and I'm keeping an eye on the shackles until I'm able to get either the wet kit or Mor-Ryde independent suspension when we get to Goshen.

boatdoc

Well, another week has gone by and still no call from either of the Heartland reps I left messages with. This wheel is going to start getting squeeky.

Niles

Boatdoc; did you get my pm back? I had good luck with this although still don't think the springs are the best.

boatdoc

Well, I'm not going to offcially thank anyone yet but Jim B. I have been called back, yes they called, by Heartland and Lippert and Lippert is sending me new springs and U-bolts for the 3670.
They have though. voided the rest, 6 months, of my axel/spring warranty because I'm installing the springs and not an authorized dealer with an 18 year old kid doing the work. Something about liability. I think it's another, wash their hands of thier lousy China junk, deal.
So here's a big THANKS to Jim B. for whispering in someones ear and we'll see if the big brown truck shows up next week with some parts.
Gary

jpmorgan37

Gary;

If they don't send you a letter with the details of why they are voiding the balance of your warranty, you still have the Magnusen-Moss Act to fall back on. And if they do send you the letter, then you have the same Act to dispute their actions. You can probably get them to agree to having your work inspected and approved (by some 18 year old) technician and maintain the continuance of the warranty. It's been done before. FWIW

John

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Gary - got your email.
My leaf spring broke last fall on a forest river sierra 5th. I think i posted that info on here somewhere a while back.
So far the bighorn (2 months or so) is hanging in there. My major complaint is all the chinese parts we are forced to use on our cars, trucks, rv's, and etc. We are sending all the jobs overseas. Get to looking and find that the weakest link is the part that breaks, guess what, it is always made in china.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My question is what kind of deal is the shock absorber? A shock lying almost on its side will do NO good. Solve the whole problem and go with a Mor-Ryde IS system. No springs to worry about.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Shocks are of no use. When my Axle spring broke they did not put new shocks on until later when they put the 7k axles on. Just had to make sure my tires were properly balanced..

Niles

Almost hate to bring this back up, just want to tell the story though. I replaced my springs last fall (2008) and wasn't impressed with the result. Just got back from my dealer, they agree that the new springs I installed have bowed down. We have one trip to Florida on these about 2500 miles. Lippert said that when we replaced the springs that ended the warranty. This just amazes me, it's like lippert replaces it once and that's it, the newer parts have no guarantee, I don't expect the new parts to start over on time, just last to the original warranty period. I want to say that we have no issues with Heartland or the dealer that we bought it from, both have been great to work with and helped a lot regarding this. I do want to say that we're done with lippert, it may cost me a lot more money, but lippert will not get another dime of my money now or in the future. By the way here are my weights:
Steer axle with trailer on:4840#
Drive axle with trailer on: 6760#
Front trailer axle hooked to truck: 5640#
Rear trailer axle hooked to truck: 6360#
Total on trailer axles is 12000# on two 7000# axles
Total on truck axles is 11600#
Gross weight;23600#
Disappointing that 7000# axles won't handle 6000# average. Mor-Ryde here we come.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If everybody would use Mor-Ryde Lippert could go suck eggs. Go getum Mor-Ryde.

boatdoc

I couldn't have said it any better than the last two posts. The only reason I'm going to put their springs back on this time is so I can b%#$h about lippert again in the very near future plus the fact I can use the exersize crawling around under there.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And while all of this is going on, where is Heartland?? What are they saying??

Last edited:

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Has anyone placed airbags (air spring) on the axle like the ones pacbrake sales for trucks? It looks like it would not be a hard fabrication project. A lot less cost then the mor-ryde. It would be like helper to the weak china springs. The other benny would be side to side leveling. Just deflate the high side and inflate the low side at the camping spot. No more leveling blocks :)

Niles

I think you have something here, just not an engineer myself, I have often wondered why someone has not come up with a air ride system for trailers they have them on everything else. A 12 volt compressor and you could be all set. As for cost I'm not sure it would be cheaper. I know on semi trailers it's always an extra cost, but well worth it. With age they tend to blow out once in awhile, so they are not without some problems also. Makes a really loud bang too, so you know when it happens.:eek: