Is the $950 exterior treatment worth the money?

MurrayN.

I am finally picking up my 2010 Sundance 3300RLB today! Woohoo!! I was offered an exterior treatment for the trailer that they were going to charge me $950 for. Has anyone else ever taken this dealer treatment and is it worth the money? Are the good wax products that people have talked about every bit as good as this dealer applied product? I can do a lot of waxing for $950!!
I had a 2002 Wildcat with fiberglass sides that I never once waxed in 7 years, only used some good car wash soap after every time I used it. It looked like new after 7 years. Maybe they don't make things as good as they used to, I don't know. Anyway let me know what you all think about this dealer option. Thanks:confused:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I am finally picking up my 2010 Sundance 3300RLB today! Woohoo!! I was offered an exterior treatment for the trailer that they were going to charge me $950 for. Has anyone else ever taken this dealer treatment and is it worth the money? Are the good wax products that people have talked about every bit as good as this dealer applied product? I can do a lot of waxing for $950!!
I had a 2002 Wildcat with fiberglass sides that I never once waxed in 7 years, only used some good car wash soap after every time I used it. It looked like new after 7 years. Maybe they don't make things as good as they used to, I don't know. Anyway let me know what you all think about this dealer option. Thanks:confused:

Be it truck, car or trailer, I look at anything the dealer wants to install as an add-on, as maybe something I really don't need.

$950 is a lot of wax...bet if you check around you can find this a lot cheaper.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with lefty. You can pay someone to do it for several years for that much money. If you get rid of the trailer for whatever reason, you lose that money as well.

jnbhobe

Murray; Do yourself a big favor and RUN!!!! from that deal. Just think ofr all the real toys you can buy for $950. JON :D :D :D

sandman

outside coating joke

:D:(Hey murray run, run ,run I had it done to mine when i bought my sundance and is a joke i can here the dealer still laughing. it did absolutly nothing .:eek::eek:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Are you serious :eek:....they spend $20 for a 20oz bottle of sealer and pay Juan V. the lot guy $8hr x 3 hours labor for smearing it on. Thats like paying $400 for Scotchsguard on the sofas! A total ripoff.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
A bottle of EagleOne's Wax and Dry from Walmart works great and only cost about 4 bucks. HUM - $4 or $950????

MurrayN.

Thanks for your words of wisdom, and by the way your thoughts were exactly the same as mine, I did not go for it. I have done some of these treatments on new vehicles that I have bought in the past and cannot say that I got any real benefit from any of them. You sure don't get any extra when you go to sell it again. I will keep my eyes open for some of this premium marine polish I've heard about and give that a try.

One very disappointing thing that I did find today when we went to go pick up our new rig was some kind of freaky dull spot in the middle of one of the exterior walls. You could not see it from one angle, but from straight on and the other angle there was a 2' round patch that was really dull and with a rainbow ring around the outside edge. It almost makes me think that the final coat of lacquer / sealant was not complete, it is like a dry spot on a paint job where there was not enough paint put on.
I sure hope that something can be done, I sure don't want to look at that for the next 5-10 years. It will always be the first thing that you see when you look at the trailer. Anyway we did not take the trailer home and did not sign off on the trailer even though the dealership wanted us to.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You can get a hand wash, hand wax and roof treatment from the mobile RV wash guy who makes your rig look brand new...only $300.00. $300 vs $950.... 3 wash and waxes for 900 is still cheaper.....

sealman

If you like doing it yourself, you may want to try http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/index.html. I have found them very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. I use the GEL-COAT One Step, and the KLASSE All-In One. with a Porter Cable model 7424 Orbital buffer/polisher. I spent $300.00 and that included al necessary buffing pads and a second bottle of GEL-COAT. We have had our Bighorn for almost 2 years and it sits on the lake at waters edge with the big window facing west (great for sunsets, bad for extreme sun. Their products work extremely well. On their web site go to the top and click on ProperRVCare.Com. Good luck.
John

Netem

Your big dull spot sounds like a poor job of repairing a hole or bad scratch. If done right you should not be able to see it. I don't know that I would want to trust the dealer to fix it right once you sign the papers. Maybe you should call the factory and talk to them.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
If "your" dealer is charging you $950.00 for a wax job, i would not buy one cent from him in the future, regardless of what it is.
I use a carwash/wax combination and it works fine. I only use a wax on the front to help keep the bugs off.

talley

Dull surface with "ring around it" sounds a lot like a repair job of some sort!! If repair was properly done would not be THAT obvious.

creeper

What exactly is the treatment? Once coat of wax? Or are the going to do it correctly and do a three step process, which means basically three different coats of wax and waxing it 3 times?