Added light switch in front storage compartment

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I finally got fed up with having to be a contortionist to turn on the light in the front storage compartment. While I was at the local Lowes store I picked up a grey plastic switch box, black light switch and black coverplate. I already had a short piece of 1/2" conduit at the house so no need to purchase that. I mounted the box to the right of the door and just under the hydraulic pump shelf. Sorry my pics aren't that great but I think you will get the idea. Had some monster speaker wire to wire the switch to the light with. Works real nice, no more backaches turning on that light. :)

I intend to add another light soon. I will probably wait till the rally and pick up a light at one of the local surplus stores.

Mark

Attachments

• 100_0107.JPG
    100_0107.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 100_0108.JPG
    100_0108.JPG
    345.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_0109.JPG
    100_0109.JPG
    339.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_0110.JPG
    100_0110.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_0111.JPG
    100_0111.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 208

wdk450

Mark:
How about a plunger switch that will turn on the light whenever you open the access door?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Nice job Mark
Did you come off the light in parallel or series.
The switch box is mounted on the wall that is by the battery compartment?

I like Bill's idea also but I leave my door open sometimes for a long time. I would like to have a manual switch that is convenient from the opening..

Thanks for posting.. I think a lot of us would like to change that light.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Bob,
The Switch has to be in series with the ground side of the light. This way there isn't hot voltage at the switch.

wdk450,
Thought of the plunger style but not my thing. I want to have control. Plus I don't like the idea of the plunger failing and the light staying on all the time on accident.

Mark

wdk450

Mark:
If you worry about the light staying on, it is very simple to wire a regular toggle switch in series with the plunger switch. Open the toggle switch, and the plunger switch is disabled.
BTW, I left my fantastic fan on for 3 days while the rig was in storage, came back and the battery still had plenty of juice to run the slides, etc. I think you would have to leave one light on for a long time to discharge the battery.