Converter location, Furnace problem

aghenry

In response to the other Bighorn owners,
My wife and I purchased the 2006 3600RL new in December of 2005 and coming from a non slide Motorhome it was quite the change, we love the room in the 5th wheel. I had some tires blow out last year when returning from Arizona to Texas and it done some damage to the underside of the wheel wells. The one tire was on the driver side rear and it bent the gas line going to the furnace. When I had it repaired I had them replace the gasline and now the furnace will not work and I have traced it to not having any power thru the 12v side electrical box. The power is there for all the other 12v connections and I even changed the breaker I do not get any voltage to this one circuit when I totally remove the breaker. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have any good information on the Converter to include the exact location of the box itself. I have removed both electrical panels (110v) & (12v) and did not see the inverter/converter anywhere. One last thing while I am on here and that is on the closet latches for the front closet, after drawing blood a couple of times myself I moved the latches to the top of the door frame and it has worked great. thanks for any help I may recieve on the electrical problems. I do not want to take it back to our dealer because when I took it for the repairs I had done, it took 2 and a half months to get 2 days worth of work completed and was not supervised repairs at all (Southwest RV in Katy, TX).

wdk450

In response to the other Bighorn owners,
My wife and I purchased the 2006 3600RL new in December of 2005 and coming from a non slide Motorhome it was quite the change, we love the room in the 5th wheel. I had some tires blow out last year when returning from Arizona to Texas and it done some damage to the underside of the wheel wells. The one tire was on the driver side rear and it bent the gas line going to the furnace. When I had it repaired I had them replace the gasline and now the furnace will not work and I have traced it to not having any power thru the 12v side electrical box. The power is there for all the other 12v connections and I even changed the breaker I do not get any voltage to this one circuit when I totally remove the breaker. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have any good information on the Converter to include the exact location of the box itself. I have removed both electrical panels (110v) & (12v) and did not see the inverter/converter anywhere. One last thing while I am on here and that is on the closet latches for the front closet, after drawing blood a couple of times myself I moved the latches to the top of the door frame and it has worked great. thanks for any help I may recieve on the electrical problems. I do not want to take it back to our dealer because when I took it for the repairs I had done, it took 2 and a half months to get 2 days worth of work completed and was not supervised repairs at all (Southwest RV in Katy, TX).

Sir:
Some of your comments on the furnace electrical confuse me. Any 12VDC device has its current supply limited by a FUSE - Any 110 VAC device has its current limited by a CIRCUIT BREAKER. If I had 12 VDC problems, I would not be replacing Circuit breakers. Home Depot has a tone transmitter/sniffer for electrical wire tracing for about $50.
Turn on all of the 12 volt lights and (quiet) appliances you can think of and listen for the fan to find the convertor. It might be in the basement area. Once you think you hear it you can turn its associated 110VAC breaker off to make sure that the fan you are hearing goes off. You also might be able to trace the large cables from the fusebox back toward the convertor and battery. The convertor might connect at the fusebox or at the battery.
Heartland should have a list of GOOD 3rd party service providers in your area, or consult the RV Service Reviews website.

Good Luck,

jimtoo

Hi aghenry,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I moved your post and started its own thread here. I think it will be seen better here and you will get the help you need.

Most likely your converter is located right behind or close by they fuse and circuit breaker panel. You probably could not see converter or reach it by removing the panels from the inside. If you open door side basement door and remove wall panel that is under the potty room, you will probably find all the electrical wiring and converter there. And like Bill said above, be sure you check the 12v fuses and be sure one is not missing.

Jim M