Landing Legs

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I was told some time ago that the best way to use the front landing legs was to keep the inner and outer portions as close together as possible to increase the strength. So, I usually put the snap pin so that only five holes are showing.

Problem is, the landing jacks go down so slowly that it takes several minutes for the legs to extend and again about the same time to retract. Should the gearing be so slow?

I made this comment to LSI in Elkhart when I dropped off my unit for repairs, due to an accident I had in Florida. At LSI, they just dropped the legs down all the way which then took very little time. I mentioned that I always try the use as much of the outer leg as possilbe and why and did not get any reaction.

What is your experience? Am I just being overly cautious?

v92c

Texan
I have always dropped the legs all the way to the ground, then hit the extract switch until the Snaps clicked and start to take the weight. I am not saying that is the best way to do it, but it is how I was taught by the others I camp with.

My start point is 6 “ clicks down on the outer sleeve and about 13 “ clicks on the inner sleeve, and usually I have to raise 3 or 4 inches to road height to unload 5er. It gives me about 13 clearances when driving over the road and hasn’t hit the pads in dips or access roads. I do the same thing release the outer sleeve tell it hit the ground then elevated trailer tell its level with the receiver hitch or about ¼ in gap. I have a sloped drive way and to get it level I have to raise about 2 ft. its pretty stable and if you put the tripod under it it’s even more stable. I don’t know if I would worry so much about the out sleeve being more exposed than the inner sleeve! Just my though…(On most flat bed trailer the out sleeve is normally fixed and the inner ones is the only one that moves)
Hope this helps.
Sonny

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

The only way I know of that you would have a problem with the inner leg being bent by dropped them all the way is if the trailer were to move-ie-when coupling or uncoupling. If you block your wheels (and I block both sides front and rear) then you don't have to worry about the trailer moving when hooking or unhooking and will probably never have a problem. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

John