Dome Satellite Height?

GARTH

Would like to put a Winegard 3500 Dome Satellite unit on the 3055RL that I have ordered. I am concerned about the overall height as this dome is 16 inches tall. Winegard does sell an automatic dish that lowers down to 8 inches when not in use. I would prefer the dome dish as it would be protected better from the weather. What type of satellite receiver does the factory recommend installing? The back of the coach appears to be lower than the front. Can this type of satellite be installed on the rear or does it need to be up front? I have found the wiring schematic, but can't tell exactly where on the roof the antenna cable is located. Thanks, Garth

Last edited:

ChopperBill

Garth from what I can tell the satellite cable is in the roof above the bedroom, opposite the antenna. Go to the Heartland web site and you can see a schematic on its location or there is a post on this forum that shows the location. I think Jim has some pixs on his install.

Deb

Deb
We have been using Direct TV in the camper for over 7 years. Have traveled from home to Alaska, FL, CT and the Southwest. We have a dish that is on the ground in a fold up stand. We have no desire to put the dish on the roof. There have been so many campsites that we wouldn 't have been able to get a signal at all because of where we have to put the dish to get a signal. We had a signal in Alaska when a million dollar motorhome couldn't get anything with his dish on the roof. One campground that we go to in CT has a lot of trees. There is one spot in this campground where you will find a half dozen satelite dishes in one location to get a signal. Those with the dishes on the roofs are out of luck. Just wanted to share our experiences with the dish.

Deb

GARTH

Appreciate your input! We do have a portable tripod unit that we have been using. We would also like to have a dish that would find itself automatically. I am concerned about the overall height of the RV with the dish mounted. I believe the legal height in most states is 13'6". Would mounting the dome make me over legal height? Once again I appreciate everyones comments. Garth

GARTH

Still waiting for an answer to my question regarding the height of the 3055 where the satellite would mount! Will mounting a 16" dome satellite at the prewired satellite site on the roof make me over the legal height of 13'6" when hooked to my truck. I will be pulling the coach with a 2003 Chevy 2500HD 4X4. I do not have my coach yet or I would measure it myself. Garth

Scott

Dome Height

Garth,
I can only tell you that with the fron A/C, we are at approx. 12'-9".

If you subtract 12" for the A/C (lo profile) and add your 16" - you should be at around 13'-2"

Is that exact? No.

Is that an educated guess? Yes.

ST

tcbrady

The height at the prewired satellite for a 3055RL is 12'4" so it looks like you would be just over the legal height by 2".

Sorry for the delay in getting you this answer.

GARTH

Thank you for your reply!!! Sure glad I didn't order the dome dish. Looks like I will go to plan B. Thanks again! Garth

Scott

Dome

You know, you could always move the dome back down the angled roof a little further to accomodate the height. The wiring in the roof could always be "fished" over another four feet or so.

Just a thought.

ST

timk

GARTH said:
Thank you for your reply!!! Sure glad I didn't order the dome dish. Looks like I will go to plan B. Thanks again! Garth

Garth,
We have a Weinguard automatic dish, mounted over the bedroom on our 3400rl. Its a bit taller than the ac but has not been a problem. Here is a link to the feds vehicle size stuff, its rather interesting. http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publications/size_regs_final_rpt/index.htm#rv

If you do knock it off with a bridge or something, odds are the ac and everyting else is going too. Makes for a better insurance claim that way.

For my money, once you've used an automatic dish, you'll hate it every time you need the old handy tripod. But we do carry one, had to use it last week, didn't think I would ever get it set up right. You just park, flip a switch, open a beer and watch tv.

TimK