Fall 2009 Rally CG Selection

Which (if any) of these appeal to you for Fall 2009 Rally?

• Virginia Beach, VA

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Gettysburg, PA

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Lake Norman, NC

• Hershey/Lancaster, PA

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Outer Banks, NC

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Harpers Ferry, WV

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Asheville (Biltmore), NC

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Cincoteague/Assateague

• Gatlinburg, TN

• Other (specifiy, in forum I guess)

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hudson

Now that Spring Rally is over it is time to think about the Fall Rally for the Virginia/Mid-Atlantic Club. I'd like to get the campground picked sooner than later to be sure we can get in as many rigs as wish to attend.

If you would help me by answering the following questions, it could make the Fall Rally more enjoyable for you.

1. Do you have a particular CG in mind that you think would make a good rally site (e.g., good clubhouse, plenty of big rig spots)?

2. Is there a particular type of location you would like to visit (beach, mountains, battlefield/historic, etc.)

3. Since we are more than just Virginia, what state are you from, what states are you willing to travel to (VA, WV, NC, MD, etc.), and what state do you most prefer (if any)? I mean are we talking no farther than Richmond or is Biltmore/Asheville a possibility here?

4. I already have learned the CG must always be pet friendly for our group, but what about kid friendly ... does this rally have to precede Labor Day or can folks with kids/grandkids do a weekend in late September?

5. Last but not least, how many people here really don't want a back-in (just in case I find the perfect CG but they don't have many pull-throughs)?

You can respond in this forum or you can send me a private message if you prefer your input to remain unpublished.
--
Thanks in advance to all,
Hudson
Voluntary Assistant Wagonmaster for VA Fall 2009 Rally
Field Promoted to Wagonmaster :)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Campground Preferences

Debra and I are good for just about anywhere in a 200-300 mile radius. We can do a back in no problem, but Debra definitely prefers full hook-ups (Water, Electric, Sewer).

camperjohn08

Nancy & I also agree with Gus... about anywhere 200-250 mile radius... FROM CHESAPEAKE, VA...Would rather not do a back in, but If guided could do it... Guess that's why I put a front hitch on my Silverado... a downside to a 22' truck...
Outer Banks or the VA Beach location is good for us. PA is just a bit too far for us at this moment. Just my honest answer.

Last edited:

Hudson

Nancy & I also agree with Gus... about anywhere 200-250 mile radius... Would rather not do a back in, but If guided could do it... Guess that's why I put a front hitch on my Silverado... a downside to a 22' truck...
Outer Banks or the VA Beach location is good for us. PA is just a bit too far for us at this moment. Just my honest answer.

Hey, I like honest answers the best of all!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Personally, I'd like us to stay at the Holiday Travel Park in Virginia Beach. Their super sites are just that, Super. Pull through and as level as you can get. All concrete and nice fire pits as well as excellent picnic tables. And for those who don't want to pay the extra $ for a super site, there are a ton of other level sites to be had. They have a couple of outdoor pavilions and an indoor one as well. I think it is 5 swimming pools also.

Of course, being VERY close to home doesn't hurt either. :) And depending on when we do this, their off-peak rates are much better than "in-season" rates.

But I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else. 200 to 300 mile range, one that can be done in a day (some of are not retired YET) is also a consideration for us.

boatto5er

Personally, I'd like us to stay at the Holiday Travel Park in Virginia Beach. Their super sites are just that, Super. Pull through and as level as you can get. All concrete and nice fire pits as well as excellent picnic tables. And for those who don't want to pay the extra $ for a super site, there are a ton of other level sites to be had. They have a couple of outdoor pavilions and an indoor one as well. I think it is 5 swimming pools also.

Of course, being VERY close to home doesn't hurt either. :) And depending on when we do this, their off-peak rates are much better than "in-season" rates.

But I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else. 200 to 300 mile range, one that can be done in a day (some of are not retired YET) is also a consideration for us.

Boy - Keith and I agree about the SuperSites at the Trav-L-Park in VA Beach. They are fantastic:D.

Hey Hudson - I like your signature in the first post. You should use it for all your posts!:eek:

davebennington

In my opinion Holiday Travel Park is nice, that said the airplanes that want to use your roof top for a landing strip is a turnoff we like peace and quite. I for one would like to go somewhere else also agree that 200 to 300 miles is a good thing. I found this web site http://www.reserveamerica.com that will give you Federal, state as well as private campgrounds in a state or anywhere.

Dave

Jim & Harriet

fall rally

200 mile range is good. might have to consider shorter daylight time in the fall for folks who might be leaving after work.

mid-september would be our choice. depending on the fall travel dates, asheville would be nice - autumn leaves and all that...None prefer no airplanes...but the "beach" is also nice after labor day.

first choice would be pull-thru with full hook-up, but if the site is flat and wide enough, back-in is ok. also would love to have wifi if possible.

thanks for doing the work.

Last edited:

Hudson

The beach

This is the third time I've typed "preview post" and wind up having to retype a message. So this is shortened a bit.:(

Virginia Beach has two major CGs, both near each other. They are both more expensive than Misty Mtn, even off season and I know that price was an issue for some at the last rally. Both are about a mile or two from the ocean so you must walk, bike, drive, or otherwise schlep your beach gear to the salty shores. Both are immediately adjacent to NAS Jax which is a fighter jet base. If you've never heard these jets at this close range your mind cannot imagine the amount of sound they produce, all day long. If you've been beside a Tomcat on afterburner takeoff (me! me! I have! But mine was a Falcon -- go USAF! Psst, Tomcats are louder), you already know if you can live with this. I adore them and nothing could keep me from VA Beach if that's where we choose to go.

The Outer Banks is cheaper than VA Beach (CG rates lower, but more diesel) and closer to the ocean, but a longer drive. I'm scoping that area too. But it's 8 hours from my house and some must drive 45-90 minutes before they pass my house. Doesn't bother me ... I drive straight through from my house to Camp Pedro at South Of The Border. I like driving. If I was the only one voting, Camp Hatteras would be the destination. (Watch, won't I look biased if that's the final chosen destination?)

I'm looking at even cheaper, quieter (but still nice) places on the other (north) side of the Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Near the bay or the ocean but not on it. The cost of the bridge-tunnel will even it out for anyone who stays only two nights.

I bring all this up because it looks like the group wants to go to the beach. I like that and the weather is nice there that time of year. The voting/polling continues so the beach is not decided of course. But if it is the beach, then I've got to get the CG committed by the end of this month probably to get us all together.

Actually, there is a wonderful CG on Sanibel Island in Florida where the sand is like talcum powder and the shells are plentiful. Just kidding ... DW, DD, and I are going there sometime this year if we can get in, but I won't try to drag rallyers there. But I'll probably try to go there right after the rally since I'd be a third of the way there already. :D

Hudson

Wrong NAS

I proofed that several times but failed to notice a mistake. The VA Beach campgrounds are next to NAS Oceana. NAS Jax (Jacksonville, FL) is next to the campground where we stay on the way to Disney.

Oh yeah, and the whole reason I thought to type in a post today in the first place was that many people say 200-250 miles or 200-300 miles, but don't say from where. It would be really helpful to know where everyone who has a limited range is located (roughly is fine).:confused:

jgoddardg

The Goddards will travel, and coming out of WV, will probably travel farther than the rest unless Harpers Ferry is chosen. We're pretty much able to travel anytime, anywhere and we'll be looking forward to the fall rally. We'll back up, pull through or most anything except try to parallel park this Big Horn.

boatto5er

The Goddards will travel, and coming out of WV, will probably travel farther than the rest unless Harpers Ferry is chosen. We're pretty much able to travel anytime, anywhere and we'll be looking forward to the fall rally. We'll back up, pull through or most anything except try to parallel park this Big Horn.

John/Debbie,

You haven't had fun til you've parallel parked a 60 foot combined length rig in a 62 foot parking space:eek:.

Gus

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
My first choice is, and always will be, a beach area. As far as miles to drive, 200-300 in one day would be maximum. Pull through's at my experience level (or is that inexperience level) is really, REALLY, nice. I do however understand that the day will come where I will have to back-in, so I must plan some serious practice time in a deserted shopping mall or high school parking lot ... some time soon. Otherwise spotter's assisting and helpful assistance should get us backed in ... eventually:eek:.
We've done the Virginia Beach scene, and yes, given the wrong winds and runway in use at PAX River directly over your head, it is VERY noisy:eek:.
We leave early tomorrow morning for a weekend camp out at Cherrystone Camping Resort on the Virginia's Eastern Shore. It is located on the Chesapeake Bay side just North of the Bay/Bridge tunnel, and appears to be just a short drive East to the Atlantic. The site map looks very large, and should support our rally. Has anyone else been there? I can give a report upon return home.
Regardless of where the rally is held, we will be there.

davebennington

Flying Dutchman,

You better get a lot of practice in before you go to Goshen. If I remember correctly every site is a back in. In addition you have to do it with everyone watching unless you are the very first one there. Practice, Practice, Practice.
Oh yeah one more thing PRACTICE.

Dave

PS: Don't worry you will do just fine.

boatto5er

Flying Dutchman,

You better get a lot of practice in before you go to Goshen. If I remember correctly every site is a back in. In addition you have to do it with everyone watching unless you are the very first one there. Practice, Practice, Practice.
Oh yeah one more thing PRACTICE.

Dave

PS: Don't worry you will do just fine.

Eric,

Dave forgot to mention: PRACTICE:D.

Hudson

I would imagine that one of the best places to back in would be at a rally where people know you. I mean, yeah they might razz you some, but I also suspect they'd help in a meaningful way.

BTW, I don't know how many (if any) other campgrounds do this, but Disney's Fort Wilderness is all back-ins (yeah, at those prices no pull-thrus) and if you call the front desk they will send someone out to park your rig for you. I've never used that because I've always gotten the "straight back in at a turn in the road" kind of sites. Okay, actually I always get the same site because we like it.

Jason0151

Cherrystone Campground

Hi All,

I noticed that someone brought up Cherrystone. This is a great campground located near Cape Charles, VA on the Maryland side of the eastern shore of VA. It is only about 15 minutes north of the Bay Bridge Tunnel. We have camped there for the last several years and is always a long trip (usually 9 days). It is a beautiful and very peaceful spot on the Chesapeake Bay with great sunsets and a beach. Also good fishing for the kids and adults alike. There is a head boat that goes out and fishes in the bay. They are also adding a new water park this year which I am looking forward to. We always go the 2nd week of August which can be quite hot there. Here is their website. I would be glad to answer any questions about Cherrystone.

Jason

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Well Cherrystone was a hit!:rolleyes: We had a "water view" 50 amp full hook-up site, and except for a few showers on Friday, and cool nights (upper 30's) we had decent weather and a great time. The clam/oyster roast Saturday evening was good with enough food to satisfy. Easter service Sunday (non-denominational) was on site as well. The facilities are numerous (pools were not open yet, but they have three), large play areas for kids, dog walk areas, camp store, pavilion, propane on site, put-put golf, golf carts for hire, and friendly staff. The camp ground is huge, with dozens of cabins, tent site areas, many more sites with water and electric only. Most (but not all) of the full hook-up sites are pull-through:). There are also four piers into the Chesapeake Bay for fishing and crabbing. Here is the web site for more detailed information and a site map: www.cherrystoneva.com/home
The downside for some may be having to use the Bay/Bridge tunnel to get there from the West. I do not have a problem with this, but if you haven't used the bridge/tunnel before, the highway and bridges are dual lanes each direction, but going through both tunnels, the lanes reduce to just two lanes, a single lane for each direction. Virginia allows carriage of propane (I believe it is a maximum of 60 lbs) and you have to certify at the toll plaza that the propane is shut-off at the tanks. As for toll plaza, they collect $20 for tv and tandem axle trailer each direction. An alternative but longer trip would be to go through Maryland and use the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and then travel south on hwy 13. For me that would add more than 3 extra hours of travel (fuel costs plus the Bay Bridge also has a toll). Our travel time from Appomattox through Norfolk and using the Bridge/Tunnel was just about 4.5 hours driving, and a half tank of diesel.
I think that Cherrystone would be a viable choice for our fall rally location.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 17