What to look for when considering a rear view camera systems?

jbeletti

Hi Tim and welcome aboard,

Can you please walk folks through what to look for when considering a rear camera system for their 5th wheel trailer?

Also, installation of such a system in a trailer that is not prewired is a concern. How does one approach this?

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for the warm welcome Jim.

My apologies for not responding sooner -- I have a lot to say about this subject. I have been waiting for a sufficient block of time to be able to devote to this, but it looks like that's not going to happen. So, I'll take it a little at a time.

Mirrored Image
By far, the most important consideration with a backup camera purchase is to be sure to buy a system that provides a reversed (aka: mirrored) image! Any "real" backup camera or backup-camera system is going to have this most necessary feature, but there are some sellers who are bundling together a video-surveilance type camera and a cheap LCD (or b/w) monitor and calling it a backup camera.

Be careful! Without this (mirroed-image) feature, objects that are behind you and on the left side, will be displayed on the right-hand side of your monitor -- and vice-versa.

Wireless
Wireless is a pretty hot topic -- and rightfully so since no one likes the idea of stringing cables through and between there TV and tow.

But, the trade off is in the performance. If you install a wireless system you should expect performance to be less than perfect. There are just too many sources of RF and interference -- in our vehicles and on the road. The interference sources are compounded by the relatively low transmission power allowed for these systems by the FCC.

Perhaps you'll get lucky and not experience interference issues, but you will be in the minority. Maybe you will have intermittent interference that you can live with. If you decide to try wireless, be sure to investigate the seller and his return policy. The guys who are selling a lot of wireless systems often do not allow returns, and most major sellers of backup cameras do not sell wireless -- important things to think about.

I'll post more when I get a chance. In the interim, please fell free to contact me directly for additional info.

Tim