Ramp Supports?

Detmer

I am looking for a way to support the ramp and use it as a deck.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Either to purchase or building them.
Any Ideas???

RnRCycloner

I have been thinking about that also. One option I have thought of is purchase some 3 ton jack stands from Harbor Freight at about $20.00 a pair. And rubber pads. I haven't measured the ground clearance to see if 16-3/4" is enough height to bring the ramp level. I figurer I'll have to do some leveling anyway, if I don't have to do to much it should work. I would take some measurements before ordering.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

3 Ton Heavy Duty Jack Stands

ITEM 38846-4VGA

• 3 Ton Jack Stands
  • Height: 11-3/4" to 16-3/4"
  • Base: 8" x 7-1/2"
  • Price $19.99
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]2 Piece Rubber Pads for Jack Stand[/FONT]
clear.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 95952-1VGA[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Slip and oil resistant
  • Won't gouge or rip
  • One pair of rubber pads for our 3 and 6 Ton Jack Stands
  • Price [FONT=arial, sans-serif]$6.99 [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]Dimensions: 1.568" W x 4.6" L x 1.706" H[/FONT]

Jburks

If you have ever seen the show Trick my Truck, in season 1 episode 9 they were doing a tail gate truck and they had a tt toy hauler that seemed to be cable operated, You might be able to call Brian at 4 State Trucks in Joplin, MO. to see if he would give you any hints, you probably have to leave a message as he is pretty busy most of the time.

RnRCycloner

That looks good.. Certainly a option worth looking into.. Any idea what kind of weight it can handle? A group of kids can create havic in certain conditions....

truknutt

Committed Member
I use slideout stabilizers that adjust from 26" to 47". Buddy works at Harley in York and had a machinist turn aluminum disks that we bolted to the tops. These disks fit inside the rubber bumpers mounted to the ramp's door.

I had the original equipment cable system (came as part of the "Add-A-Room" option) on the last toyhauler but never had a warm & fuzzy when more than 2 people sat out on the "deck". That's why we added the stabilizers.

The attached tent room photo shows where the supports go..I have 4 instead of the 2.

Attachments

• Extend a room.jpg
    Extend a room.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 166

Detmer

The cable idea looks nice, clean and simple. But I would be concerned about the door actually bowing in the center when some people were on the ramp. These ramps were not designed to be used this way.
What I am thinking about is maybe adding a piece of aluminum square box tubing across the width of the ramp to help spread that load across just like the load is when the ramp is on the ground.
I also looked at using regular car jacks to support the ramp, again with some type of cross support but normal car jacks just don't go tall enough. I am thinking about modifying a set.
You need about 28" give or take to be able to make the ramp level in various conditions of the ground.
Do the slideout stabilizers offer enough stability? Their footprint does not seem that large.
The Thought I have on this is to mount some type of "U" channel to the ramp and then attach the stabilizers to the "U" Channel. Maybe I can come up with a way to leave them permanently mounted to the bottom of the ramp and they will just fold up against the ramp when it is raised. Need to think of a way to lock them in against the ramp when not in use. Might be able to build this whole setup out of aluminum square stock. Nice and strong, light and easy to work with. Think of something like your front jacks on the 5th wheel just hinged and connected to the bottom of the ramp. Hmmmm. Back to the design table.

Loco

I also do not like the cable idea. Puts to much load on tail gate. I made a cross beam out of two 2x4s covered with carpet and customized steel jack stands. Works great. Very little money in the thing. It is strong and handles the loads great. I will try to get some better pics this weekend.

Attachments

• Millegedville Fall 06 002.jpg
    Millegedville Fall 06 002.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Millegedville Fall 06 001.jpg
    Millegedville Fall 06 001.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 250
  • 2007 trailer pics 076.jpg
    2007 trailer pics 076.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 265

Manke3010

Hey crazybanshee....
I'm looking to do this mod soon. How has your install worked out so far? Are you happy with it? Would you do anything differently if you could?

Did you use the forged eye bolts that are fixed, or by chance were you able to use some sort of collapsing D-shackle or something that folds flush that you secure the chain/cable to?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd appreciate any insight.