Slide Out Water Leak

JChatt

I hope I posted this in the correct section, if not, moderators please move. Thanks.
During the recent wet weather, our slide has been in the extended position. Yesterday we found water on the floor, under the dinette seat towards the trailer front. Upon investigation, I found a joint, that when the slide is extended, the wood that is framed between the slide bottom, and also in the sidewall is exposed to slide roof water runoff. This wood soaked the water up like a sponge. I can reach my hand underneath the slide when it is retracted and literally “milk” water from the joint, and down the seam to the front of the dinette, creating a puddle on the floor. I compared this side to the other end, and discovered the joint on the other end was sealed with a type of tape, and the wood is not exposed to the elements.
Additionally, when I retracted the slide, water sprayed onto the ceiling. I had checked the roof before I closed in the slide, and toweled off the excess. So I didn’t know what was going on. Getting a small step stool, I looked on the slide roof from the inside, and discovered a lot of water on top, that had gotten past the rubber seals. I used a bath towel to soak up the water. When I was finished, the towel was soaked.
I contacted the dealer, and informed them of the situation. The service manager stated that there have been issues with the rubber seals not being wide enough to form a good seal, and also wipe the water away as the slide is being retracted. Upon close examination, I can see what he is referring too. Because of this water got between the seals, ran down the slide side into that exposed joint. With this area not being properly sealed, water infiltrated the slide bottom, and side causing water damage, and a wet floor. When I mentioned the water soaking into the frame of the slide, it did not sound good. What makes it even worse is, after I was done talking with him, I went back to the camper, and with the slide extended, I was examining the outside area again, and found a sheared head of a black screw lying in the back of the crevice. That does not give me a warm feeling either.
Well, the good news is it happened now; the bad news is that a little more quality control, this would not have happened. I will be taking it into the dealer, hopefully today for warranty work. I will keep updating when I learn more. I hope to have it back soon, because we scheduled our first trip in a couple of weeks!
I haven’t even de-winterized it yet.

JChatt

Quick update,

Heartland has already responded to my dilema, requesting pictures, and the dealer name where I will be taking it.

Now that is encouraging. :)

Last edited:

jimtoo

Quick update,

Heartland has already responded to my dilema, requesting pictures, and the dealer name where I will be taking it.

Now that is encouraging. :)

Hi JChatt, that's what we like to hear, fast response from the factory. Keep us updated.

Jim M

JChatt

Update

Had good communication with Mike at factory, narrowed it down to a few possible culprits. Dropped it off at dealership. Dealership worked on top seals, stated it wasn't rubbing against top of slide enough to keep water out, which caused it to come into the camper, and flow down the outside of the slide into the interior, dripping on the floor. Will still need to do some minor caulk gaps which I will correct. Had some nasty downpours this past weekend, and so far so good, water on the outside, not on the inside.

kampfirekid

JChatt,

I saw your post on the other site. I have the same reoccuring issue. I just talked to my dealer, and although they looked at it before, they want to see it again. Before it leaked while driving. Now, it was sitting fully closed. I posted asking Mike if I could send pictures, too, but as anxious as my dealer sounded this morning soon after I posted, I am relieved they want to get on this thing and resolve it.

Last edited:

JChatt

Yeah, it makes you feel good when the factory steps up to the plate and offers the assistance. I took a lot of pictures, Mike e-mailed pictures back showing possible culprits. National RV Direct went right to work on it, and did a pretty good job. There are still a couple of minor caulk gaps that I will be filling. Knock on Aluminum, (wood too) that the leak is fixed. Had enough of that with the Hybrid.
Good luck with your leak repair!