Landing Gear

geeksrus

From time-to-time, when engaging the landing gear, there is a 'clunking' sound from the area around the motor. It only seems to occur when there is some weight 'straining'. Also, it only seems to occur on each complete turning cycle of the cross rod.

Any idea of what this might be & any easy solution?

Thanks Eh!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It sounds like a nut on the bolt holding the square drive shaft on has come off. I think the bolt is hitting as shaft is turning , don't ask how I know this.:D Check both sides ,while your at it.....Kenny

jimtoo

Yes, the guys are most likely correct. Check the bolt on the motor side, it is probably hitting the motor case and could break the housing. But check both sides and replace with a harder grade bolt. I used nylock nuts and cut the bolt off when I replaced mine. There is very little clearance between bolt and motor.

Again, don't ask how we know...

Jim M

jnbhobe

Well OK I won't ask!!! Also make sure the gear reduction box is still in one piece. Sometimes they will break when the landing gear has been run all the way up to the stop. I think my dealer did that to mine. JON:confused::confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had the same problem even though the nut & bolt were intact and there was no extra threads extending from the nut. I was able to lift and suspend the motor using plumbers tape and screwing it to the overhead. Be careful not to strain anything, just lift it enough to clear the bolt.

rikchris,

You'll get feedback here from other owners but I suggest you contact your dealer as soon as possible to discuss. If you wish to speak to someone at Heartland about it, call our Customer Service Department at 877-262-8032. Have your VIN ready to give them.

Jim