No Elec. Hot Water "Not Panicing"

jonesj2

"Update Please Read" No Elec. Hot Water "Not Panicing"

This is not a Heartland RV bash just a reminder to all as this could happen to anyone and any brand.
Well as you will read below no electric hot water. After researching the situation Friday evening after work I found that the 120 Volt leads from the inverter to the water heater had no connectivity. I went further and found that the crimp connectors holding the 120 Volt wires inside of the junction box had separated from the connector and burned the plastic crimp, 3 to 4 inches if the wire covering, therefore shorting out inside of the junction box. I have now corrected this problem to the best of my ability by using twist on wire nuts and securing them with electrical tape. If the wires had not been inside of an electrical junction box, but rather beside of the wood frame we possibly could have lost our Sundance and out lives.
I have now replaced all of the crimp connectors I can find on my Sundance and replaced them with twist nuts and electrical tape.
Customer service has been contacted; I am waiting for a response from them to see what needs to be done next.

OK, I set up the 2009/2900MK yestersay morning turned on the electirc waterheater button. Button shows red. Left and went to work and came back around 5:00 P.M. Went to shower around 8:00 not hot water from waterheater on electric. Turned on gas and let it warm up no problem.

OK here is what I have done to diag the problem.

Red light at panel- Good
Checked Fuse Panel- No tripped breakers
Check to make sure switch out side is in on position- Good
Pushed the reset buttons on the outside panel- Did not make a difference.

Used gas instead of electric.

Attachments

• Camper Water Heater 001.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 001.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Camper Water Heater 002.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 002.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Camper Water Heater 003.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 003.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 52
  • Camper Water Heater 004.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 004.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Camper Water Heater 005.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 005.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 49
  • Camper Water Heater 006.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 006.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Camper Water Heater 007.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 007.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Camper Water Heater 008.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 008.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
sounds like a bad element. if ac power was ever on with no water in tank the element
will blow. you will need a volt meter to confirm.

good luck, mjatwalker

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You said you checked the switch outside. I hope you checked the switch outside on the water heater itself. There is an on off switch on the water heater itself. If it is not one the inside switch will glow red but still no hot water. Dont ask me how I know.

jbeletti

My guess is the little black rocker switch outside on the water heater. Take a look for it in the lower left hand corner behind the water heater cover. Pull the little cotter pin out and switch that little black switch on.

Good luck.

Jim

jonesj2

Thanks for the replies, Jim and jmgratz, I checked the rocker switch it is in the on position. We used the camper 3 weeks ago and had good hot water. This is so strange?

Jim how long are you all open today since I am at work I cannot call until after 4 P.M. EST

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If all of the switches are on then chances are the inside switch was turned on without there being any water in the water heater. If that happened then the element in the wh is probably been fried. It only takes a few seconds for this to happen. If that is the case you will have to have a volt meter to check that. I believe if the element is out you can still heat the water in the propane mode.

Thank you!! we were considering taking the RV in to find out why our hot water heater wasn't working, but this site answered the question for us!! We now know to check here before getting in a panic!