Lakeshore RV

sundancekid

My Brother Bought a Forest River Product from them in 2002. he had an averall good experience, but had no waranty issues to speak of. Since he lived 1100 miles away taking the unit back for warranty would of been out of the question but fortunatley did not.

My personal experience I decided to give them a shot when I was looking at My Heartland Sundance. There prices where about $$$$ less than a dealer that was 60 miles from me. It would have been a great savings but I really wanted to take into account the warranty and getting a local dealer to fix a warranty job has never been the best from what I have read. But still the savings were pointing me to take a look. SO I tried contacting them about a half a dozen times and never once got a return phone call. Their loss, I decided to spend the extra $$$$ and get the better service from my local dealer. Still got a great deal and I am very proud of my new Sundance 5er.

So based on this it is a 50/50 chance of a good experience, just keep in mind they are a quantity dealer, they have stood the test of time, but they really bank on someone driving from far away b/c they heard about them on ebay, their going to sell it to you and never see you again. Ultimatly you have to make the choice, I say buy local.

grizzlygiant

I lived 2200 miles from Lakeshore and after an exhaustive search selected them for the purchase of my first Heartland, a Bighorn, in late 2007. I did have to dicker a bit to get the bottom dollar but when the final price was reached I saved five fighres over the best quote from the local dealer. They performed exactly as promised though I learned to not get dealer-installed options as they were overpriced. I was so satisfied that I was going to purchase a new Sundance from them early this year but the new local Heartland dealer beat their price. Lakeside = good dealer but do not expect returned calls; you hae to be the aggressor.

Rickhansen

We purchased our '09 3670RL from John at Lakeshore. We had them deliver it to us in North Carolina. The purchase experience was good, esppecially in respect to the savings. John was very attentive at the onset, but became difficult to reach once the deal was done. Many calls went unanswered.

The delivery driver (contract) really transacted the final paperwork. There was no inspection or PDI done. He was on his way an hour after pulling the BH in. Fortunately, we have had no warranty issues in 18 months of full-timing.

I would recommend Lakeshore and would consider using them again.

Cyncwby

Ok, thanks guys, I have a dealer about 40 miles from me but when my wife and I went by to look at the 3055 we were contacted by one of "Those" saleman. He wasn't pushy, just didn't know his product.

It's just amazing how uninformed this guy was, I spent maybe an hour on Heartland's web site looking at the spec's and knew 10 times more than this guy. Not the first time I've ran into this, some car and truck salesmen are the same way.

I'm going to go back and talk to the owner next week, see what they can do. I really don't want to drive half way across the country to make a deal. Thanks again.....Dave

buckeyebob

i got a price quote on my 2900mk from lakeshore rv,and then i contacted a dealer 70 miles away.they beat lakeshore by 5 bucks,so i saved the long drive!!!!!whatever you do its a buyers market!!!ask them if they want to sell an rv or eat it over the next year.i mean offer thousands less than you think you should.you can always go up if they say no. dealer service is really important because stuff wont be perfect,however heartland really does stand behind their rigs. buckeyebob

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Anyone know about this dealer? Good?.....Bad?

Good prices. Terrible support. Once they get your $$$ the sales force disappears. The techs there may or may not return your call.

There is just too much to go into here. The entire purchase process was astudy in frustration.

I would not use them again.

OBTW, the price they quote on ebay is the lowest price they will go.

Cyncwby

You guy's are right about the phone calls, I tried calling three times today, nothing but voice mail....which I didn't leave........thanks, Dave

Peteandsharon

I had several discussions with John at Lakeshore regarding a 3055 back when we were first in the market. Ultimately they did beat the local dealers price on the new rig. However, my local dealer gave me so much more on my trade in that it more than made up for the difference. Lakeshore wasn't even close on the trade.

Hogladyrider

We Are DOING it NOW!

Well we purchased from Lakeshore via e-bay a week ago. DH is in MI today, Easter Sunday.

John has been VERY cooperative and responsive to all our inquiries. I will post again after the PDI is completed on Mon and DH is heading south to FL with our new 2009 B/H 2600RL!

No dealer in FL could come close to the price of Lakeshore or was even will to deal. We previously sold our toy hauler and so we have no trade in.

Gary spoke with John on Saturday the 11th and advised him he would be arriving on Easter Sunday and John told him to walk around the lot etc. Our B/H is in the shop getting prepped for delivery, I have pics sent to me from Gary's I-phone.

So far we have been very pleased with all contacts and communications with Lakeshore and they are located 1200 miles from our home in Florida.

Warranty issues we will deal with if an when need be. Will let you know how actual delivery goes.;)
Susan

grizzlygiant

Well we purchased from Lakeshore via e-bay a week ago. ..........;)
Susan

Congratulations on your purchase. Now a word of caution....be sure you get EVERYTHING promised you and all PDI items resolved BEFORE you sign the final papers with Lakeshore. As soon as you sign they(Lakeshore) are GONE.

Hogladyrider

Update!

Thanks for all the words of "caution".......so far so good. Everyone at the dealership has been above board and professional.

Spoke with DH and he has done 1st walkthru, no monies have exchanged hands. He was hoping to get on the road tonight heading home, but that is not going to happen.

DH went with a printed lengthy PDI checklist, thanks to somewhere on this forum. So far just a few items that need attention prior to us taking ownership.

Mike of Lakeshore did the initial walkthru, found a switch for a slideout not hooked up/installed properly; sound only coming out of one speaker for sound system. They still have to hook the unit up to water and run all that for leaks etc before they finish so Lakeshore is paying for DH to stay tonight in a hotel.

We are both very "A" type personalities and we went into this prepared and having done our homework, but we thoroughly welcome and appreciate all the comments here so far! For us this is a retirement home purchase so we want it right the first time.

Since we are Floridians, Gary is finding the weather in Michigan COLD he said it was 29 this morning.

When we purchased our KZ toy hauler our dealer was "gone" as well and we don't expect anything from a dealer after the sale is completed, we called our original dealer when needed and everything was conducted via the phone or internet.
Susan

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Susan,
It may be in your best interest to let the dealer know that they are being talked about on our forum. Maybe don't let them know too much good or bad but just so they realize that there are people talking about them.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Susan,
It may be in your best interest to let the dealer know that they are being talked about on our forum. Maybe don't let them know too much good or bad but just so they realize that there are people talking about them.

John already reads this forum. He spoke to me about it during my purchase from Lakeshore. He was not a happy camper based on some of my statements here.

When dealing with Lakeshore, do not assume anything unless you see it yourself. I'm telling ya...you may get a rude awakening. With the things I found here upon delivery, there is no way that there is much of anything done inside the RV prior to delivery. I was picking naails and screws out of the carpets for weeks after delivery.

Not everyone that has purchased from them have been happy afterwards.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Lefty,
If John has read the forum then wouldn't you think they would try to change their ways and make it a better experience for their customers. This forum can be a very powerful influence for people when they are investigating a new purchase.

When our dealer was in business I was very forward with them when someone aould write something about whether it was good or bad. They welcomed the information and was glad to hear that they were getting some free publicity. They also made sure to let me know that there is always two sides to every story and I absolutely agree.

Best wishes,
Mark

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hey Lefty,
If John has read the forum then wouldn't you think they would try to change their ways and make it a better experience for their customers. This forum can be a very powerful influence for people when they are investigating a new purchase.

When our dealer was in business I was very forward with them when someone aould write something about whether it was good or bad. They welcomed the information and was glad to hear that they were getting some free publicity. They also made sure to let me know that there is always two sides to every story and I absolutely agree.

Best wishes,
Mark

No Mark, I don't. While the forum might be a powerful influence for some, it's not necessarily that for others. If someone needs information about a dealer, they should be able to get all the information. Not just that of a pollyanna. You might want to check out some of the feedback on ebay. It's not all 100% favorable.

I'm glad your interaction with your dealer was fantastic. The fact remains that mine was not. There have been more than one person complain about the service after the sale. After they get the check, they will not return a phone call.

Your mileage may vary, some parts are edible.

bigredtruck

we also drove 2300 miles (each way) to buy our Cyclone from John at Lakeshore. He was hard, but not impossible to reach after we sent the deposit and was very upfront with us on some expensive options that he didn't think were worth the bucks. Once DH got there, John handed him over to the service men who spent a couple of hours doing the PDI with him. Then he stayed overnight in the Lakeshore 'campground' as encouraged by John to make sure that everything worked. DH was very impressed with the service. We would deal there again, as Canadian dealers can't get close to the price. BUT...DH is also handy with his tools and as a teenager, worked on RV's a bit so any small issues that have come up (pocket door rubbing, tracing broken TV cable) he has been able to resolve himself.

dewwood

There are many factors to consider when purchasing an RV and the choices will be different for everyone. I chose Lakeshore when we purchased our unit and have not been sorry, I would buy from them again. The fact that John does not take phone calls has come up repeatedly and I would like to comment on that. While sitting in John's office discussing our deal his phone rang several times and each time he would ignore it and continue to talk to us. I appreciate someone who will give a customer their undivided attention when I have driven a long way to talk to them. I feel it is disrespectful to me to have to sit and wait while a salesperson takes a phone call from someone else and goes into a lengthy conversation. I operate a small business and when I receive a phone call while waiting on another customer I will ask if I may call them back shortly and continue to wait on my walk in customer as I feel they deserve my attention.

The other issue often mentioned is service. We purchased from Lakeshore because they were thousands of dollars less than competing dealers. We knew they were a volume dealer and did not have high expectations other than price. We had a very good experience with Mike during our PDI and several small issues were taken care of almost before we could point them out. I have only had a couple of minor problems with the unit and have talked to the service department a few times and received advice. I do not take my unit back to Lakeshore if I need work done, although I would not be afraid to, because I am much closer to Elkhart than Muskegon. I have taken the unit to Elkhart a couple of times for some minor problems which were handled by vendors on the spot in a matter of literally minutes.

I realize all people will not have the same needs but based on selection and price alone we purchased from Lakeshore and have been quite happy.

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
Well I too am a very satisfued Lakeshore customer.
They crushed the local guys price, by $7000 (and yes they will go lower than the ebay price!)
John wasa very good about getting back to me, but I did leave messages.
My deal went on for 6 weeks, they were very patient with me, and very up front as well.
We drove out 350 miles on Friday afternoon, spent the night in the camper, in the morning they started my list of fixes. The whole staff was great to my wife and 10 month old daughter (who tore up the showroom).

We drove home on Saturday, and have been loving it for 2 weeks now!!!!

I WILL buy my next camper from Lakeshore, and I will recommend them to everyone.

Keep in mind, an educated consumer is a happy consumer!

Mark