Savory Sandwich Cake

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Peggy Mason made this at the Virginia Spring Rally and sent it to me to be posted. It was so good I thought I'd post it where everyone could see it:

Savory <ST1:pSandwich </ST1:pCake-Smorgastorta
Serves 12

<O:p</O:p
This recipe calls for a large cake-you can adjust ingredients to allow for a smaller size. At the rally I used half the recipe for salmon and half for chicken salad mainly because a large cake would not fit in my fridge, but that also allows for more flavor/size possibilities. You could even make individual sandwiches with the same process.

27 slices bread, crust removed (use substantial bread-not too thin-not too cheap-trim to square shape) OR: Trim to fit round spring form pan for a smaller cake (can make two)

BINDER/FROSTING:
1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Cup whipping cream (liquid) (Do not substitute cool whip or ready whip-need unsweetened cream)

FILLING:
16 oz. flaked salmon (in pouch is best)
OR: well drained tuna, chicken, ham (canned or pouch works best-never used fresh)
chopped fresh dill to taste (or appropriate spice for filling-celery or curry for chicken; sweet relish w/ham; lemon pepper w/tuna)
1/2 C chopped spring onions (white part with some green)
1 pinch cayenne (for salmon)
T lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste (optional)

GARNISH IDEAS:
These were listed for the salmon version:
Thawed, rinsed salad shrimp patted dry with paper towels
Hard boiled eggs sliced
cherry tomatoes
thinly sliced cucumber for sides/top (slit halfway through slice and twist before sinking into shrimp or top for fancy look)<O:p</O:p
lemon wedges<O:p</O:p
smoked salmon<O:p</O:p

Other suggestions for other versions adjustable to your taste/desire
Radish roses
chopped lettuce-for sides
chopped parsley or chives-for garnish or sides
black olives whole or sliced
caviar
grapes
sliced rolled salami

1. Whip cream until stiff in large cold bowl. Gently fold in mayonnaise.
2. Set aside 1/3 or this mixture in airtight container and refrigerate for later.
3. Drain/flake salmon or other meat filling
4. Combine meat with the 2/3 cream/mayo mix, adding onions, spices, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. At this point I deviated from the recipe. I built the sandwich on saran wrap on a cookie sheet (lay wrap on cookie sheet first) so I could wrap it up before refrigerating it airtight overnight. In order to get it on the platter, I unwrapped it on top and put another cookie sheet upside down on top and flipped it over and pulled the entire wrap off. I then covered the now exposed bottom with my decorative platter and flipped it one last time. You can center a decorative doily or paper placemat on platter using a little piece of tape underneath the doily/placemat and the platter.
6. Layer a 3 x 3 grid of trimmed bread slices on wrap or platter to form a large "slice" of bread. You can butter the bread slices first lightly with soft butter or spread-up to you-I like it that the spread kind of melds with the bread. Do whatever you think your family/guests would like.
7. Spread half the meat/cream mixture on top.
8. Repeat bread layer.
9. Repeat meat/cream layer using remaining mixture.
10. Using last 9 slices of bread, repeat bread layer.
11. Wrap sandwich completely but not too tight and refrigerate overnight/or all day.
12. Unwrap sandwich. If you have a platter, etc. that is the same size as the sandwich, you can wrap the whole thing and not have to follow the flipping instructions in #5. You can use a thick piece of cardboard
cut to size with parchment paper underneath too.
13. "Frost" sides and top of "cake" with reserved cream/mayo mix. Smooth sides and top.
14. Decorate as desired with garnish pieces of choice. See photos for suggestions

Directions are more complicated than actual process. Big sandwich decorated with veggies and meat is all it really is!