air spring help

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
planning to put air abgs on my Chevy. just wondering if anyone had any advice. I have priced both the firestone ride rites and the air lift 5000s. What is everyones preference, and is there any pros or cons to one versus the other?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've used Firestone's on my past Chevy 2500HD. I originally had just the bags with individual fill lines routed to the lower license plate bolt holes I later added the on board compressor. I liked the advantage of the bags both while towing and not towing. I don't know anything about the other brand.

Northern Virginia
I added the Firestone airbags to my 2008 GMC 2500. I have been very happy with their performance.

I Tee'ed the line together so both bags inflate and deflate at the same rate. I normally run about 50 PSI (with the 5th wheel hitched).

I would definitely recommend them.

I installed them myself and it took about 3.5 hours per side.

John

Chuck Richard

I also installed the Firestone Air bags on my Chevy 2500HD and they work great. I also tee'd mine together because I did not want a sudden lopsided ride if one line failed. I put mine to 25psi without the BH hooked up which translates to about 50 hooked and I get a good level ride. Don't know about the other brand but the Firestones were a fairly straight forward and simple installation. The compressor would be nice and if funds are not a problem I would get one, easier to let the air out if you are going to tour around once the 5er is unhooked. I carry a 12 volt compressor and it works but pushing a button in the cab would be nice.

Cyncwby

I have an '02 F-250, I installed the Air Lift 5000 kit with the Load Controller II single gauge compressor on it shortly after it was purchased. I hauled a big gooseneck horse trailer and never had a problem. I really think both brands are pretty much equal in quality.

I don't know what you were quoted for price but I purchased mine from www.summitracing.com. Just looked it up and the price is still the same after 8 years, the Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 is $239 and the Load Controller II compressor kit is $145. You really only need one gauge...... and as been said prior it is very nice to be able to adjust the air pressure from the cab........hope this helps, Dave

beardedone

Beardedone
I am on my 2nd diesel and 2nd set of Firestone Ride Rites. Installed them myself and it is fairly easily, even for me. I wouldn't be without a set ever.

beasleyrl

I hate to sound dumb but I will ask anyway. I have a 2007 Chev 3500 DRW truck and pull a 2009 Cyclone 3912. I haven't noticed the truck having any problems hauling this. What is the advantage of adding the airbags?

Cyncwby

The air bags allow you to level the truck and helps smooth out the ride a little, it doesn't give you anymore carrying capacity. They work better on a non dually truck. With the "butt in the air" attitude of the duallys I doubt you would need them....the duallys actually ride better with a couple thousand pounds back there anyway.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I also installed the Firestone Air bags on my Chevy 2500HD and they work great. I also tee'd mine together because I did not want a sudden lopsided ride if one line failed. I put mine to 25psi without the BH hooked up which translates to about 50 hooked and I get a good level ride. Don't know about the other brand but the Firestones were a fairly straight forward and simple installation. The compressor would be nice and if funds are not a problem I would get one, easier to let the air out if you are going to tour around once the 5er is unhooked. I carry a 12 volt compressor and it works but pushing a button in the cab would be nice.

Just letting you know that "teeing" the lines together is a big NO NO, its very dangerious and has caused rollovers. The reason is while turning with a load air transfers to the weaker bag raising that side of the truck inturn causing a swaying action. This is why the instructions say run seperate lines.

fndrbndr

Just letting you know that "teeing" the lines together is a big NO NO, its very dangerious and has caused rollovers. The reason is while turning with a load air transfers to the weaker bag raising that side of the truck inturn causing a swaying action. This is why the instructions say run seperate lines.
If that's so why do all commercial vehicles have all the lines teed together on the truck and trailer. Also they do not have any springs like our pickups have. If a bag or line blows they will sit all the way down on the stops. On our pickups they will just settle down on the springs.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I am talking about a manual feed air bags during normal driving and towing. You can test this yourself with 2 balloons connected together with one common air line...push down on one balloon and watch what happends to the balloon with no weight on it (its will raise). The only thing that lessens the teeter-totter effect is the shocks or rear sway bar. I also made the mistake of teeing my bags together which cause my truck to handle horrible, running the lines separate cured the problem. If you are happy if your system that way then good! "You are entitled to your wrong opinion". :)

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have the Air Lift bags on my '02 GMC 2500 and like them. I have only had then on for a few months but like the way they make the trailer ride.

Dmaxcc6spd

I tried the Timbrens and they were awful. Went with the Airlift 5000's. These are great. Towed wonderfully at about 35 psi. Just need to experiment with pressures to see what yields the best ride.

Northern Virginia

How is the air going to transfer to one bag when the lines are tee'd together?

I'm no engineer but since they are connected (tee'd) are they not going to maintain equal pressure?

I have mine tee'd together to ensure I always have the same pressure in both bags. I have been very happy with their performance .

John

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
How is the air going to transfer to one bag when the lines are tee'd together?

I'm no engineer but since they are connected (tee'd) are they not going to maintain equal pressure?

I have mine tee'd together to ensure I always have the same pressure in both bags. I have been very happy with their performance .

John

A "Tee" is a open chambered device so there is no flow direction restrictions. Air can transfer through a tee in any direction in a closed loop.

Yes: at "rest' the pressures on the bags will be equal.... but under a unequal load on the air springs (like turning/wind/uneven road surfaces) one bag will become shorter and one taller causing sway. Running the lines separately creates increases bag pressures from the compression effect from the load above. Example... your spare tire has 65psi in it unloaded, now installed it with a 2300lb load on the tire and watch the air pressure go up above 65psi. When needed unequal bag pressure will help to stablize/ level your unit.

Just lost our Shepard:( of 11 years..enjoy your dog.

Attachments

• Dallas09.jpg
    Dallas09.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 13

Cyncwby

Westx.....I agree with you wholeheartedly in theory...but, I have never experienced any type of sway by t'ing both bags together that would cause a problem. Besides hauling BIG gooseneck horse trailers I've probably had 3,000 lbs. of hay bales in the bed w/o a glitch. I'm also a big fan of "to each his own" soooo to the guys that do thier own rigging......do it the way you think is best.......Dave

jimtoo

Here is my take. If you were going to use your truck to haul a big slide in camper, with lots of load on one side or a very tall one that puts 3k or 4k in the bed and sets 12' tall like some of the big ones do. Then I could say have the bags on separate air lines.

But we are talking about 5th wheels. The actual load is in the bottom or close to the bottom of the bed, providing you have a hitch that tilts, so you will not get any, or very little transfer of air on a curve because the truck does not lean. The trailer may lean a little but the truck does not. Can't say that I have ever even noticed the trailer leaning. I have pulled 5ers over 50K miles with my Firestone ride rites, mountains of Calif and Colorado, Montana, Wyoming and the Eastern USA also, and never experienced any thing that would make me want to remove them or separate the air lines.

I depend on the Ride rites to be my overloads, because I removed the overload spring brackets from the frame of the truck. I did not like the harsh ride and noise, because with my 3055 on the hitch, 2700lbs, it sat about 1/2 inch off of the overload springs. Every little dip or bump, the overloads would hit and make noise and were just to stiff. With 35# of air, and I have an on board compressor, my truck rides and handles like a dream with the fiver on it.

My theory is if your going fast enough on a curve, pulling a 5er, and it starts to tilt...Your going way to fast.

Also, if there were a safety concern, I do not think Firestone or any of the others would be selling a kit with a compressor and fittings to tie both sides together.

My 3 cents worth.

Jim M

Northern Virginia
A "Tee" is a open chambered device so there is no flow direction restrictions. Air can transfer through a tee in any direction in a closed loop.

Yes: at "rest' the pressures on the bags will be equal.... but under a unequal load on the air springs (like turning/wind/uneven road surfaces) one bag will become shorter and one taller causing sway. Running the lines separately creates increases bag pressures from the compression effect from the load above. Example... your spare tire has 65psi in it unloaded, now installed it with a 2300lb load on the tire and watch the air pressure go up above 65psi. When needed unequal bag pressure will help to stablize/ level your unit.

Just lost our Shepard:( of 11 years..enjoy your dog.

Sorry to hear about your GSD. We lost our other one three years ago when she was eleven. I still think about her every day. It's really, really tough. They are such amazing dogs.