Which Pin Box? MorRyde, Fifth Airborne or TrailAir

itsbeertime

Ok, so what's the general consensus on these aftermarket pinboxes? I've never used any of them, but am thinking of adding one to the new rig. Also will be adding air bags to the truck. And currently have a PullRite Superglide hitch that I won't be replacing.

MorRyde is supposed to take care of the fore and aft and side to side jerkiness.

Fifth Airborne and TrailAir are supposed to take care of the up and down jolts.

Neither of them do both. What's your experience?

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If you are for sure adding bags to the truck, I would go for the morryde. The bags on the truck will help some with the up/down (as long as you don't have too much air in them) and the mor-ryde fore and aft. All the bases should be covered.

rjr6150

Don't really feel qualified to recommend one over the other. We have the Trailair and Pullrite Superglide and very happy with the combo

grizzlygiant

I have a TrailAir box on the trailer plus Trimbrens on the truck and the combination is great. It is hard to imagine what a difference it/they make until you have tried it/them.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have the MOR/RYDE suspention on the coach and MOR/RYDE pin box. The whole rig rides great. Check the cost on all 3 with http://www.Tweetys.com. They have good prices and sometimes free shipping. Bob

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We used to have the Trail-Air hitch and now have the Mor-Ryde. Since we have airbags on the truck Mor-Ryde made more sense.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I cannot speak to the Trailair pinbox but I can tell you that our airbags on the truck and the MorRyde pinbox is really nice. I am very happy with this setup.

Good luck,
Mark

itsbeertime

Thanks for the replies. The comments about airbags on the truck and the MorRyde pin box make sense. I hadn't thought about it that way. The nice thing is the Superglide doesn't jerk and buck like a lot of hitches seem to because of how the thing wraps all the way around the pin and the tolerance is pretty tight. So I guess with all of the above plus the suspension under the BC itself it should be a pretty nice ride.

Theresau

Randy,

We will have the trail air pin box/superglide combo -which capture plate did you use - our understanding is that it will be the universal. And, did you have to make any modifications?

itsbeertime

Joe, we went with the Mor-ryde pin box and used the quick connect capture plate for the Mor-ryde pin box. The plates are not universal, you have to get the one that matches your pin box. They are listed on Pull-rites website or you can call them and tell them what you need.

Theresau

Unfortunately, there is no quick connect plate for the Trail Air. We've contacted Trail Air and Pull Rite.

itsbeertime

Unfortunately, there is no quick connect plate for the Trail Air. We've contacted Trail Air and Pull Rite.
I totally misread your post. :eek: Sorry about that. I thought you were getting the Mor-ryde. As Roseanne Roseannadanna would say "Never mind".:D

porthole

Retired
When I asked pullrite about this the reply I got was that a "quick connect plate" is available for the standard trailair pin box and that the universal plate was required for the tri-glide option.

The universal costs twice the quick connect version and requires a lot of work to install, either welding or drill and tap a lot of holes.

Theresau

I just called Pull-rite - they don't have a quick connect capture plate for the standard trail air pin. Universal needs to be used.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Beertime,

Just curious... your first post says you have never used an aftermarket pinbox but signature says you have a MorRyde pinbox.

You looking to sell one?...Cheap???

itsbeertime

Beertime,

Just curious... your first post says you have never used an aftermarket pinbox but signature says you have a MorRyde pinbox.

You looking to sell one?...Cheap???
Lol. I'm sorry, I guess I should have updated this thread. Between my first post and now I had made the decision and bought and had installed on the new fiver the Mor-ryde pin box. Sorry to say I don't have one for sale, cheap or otherwise. ;)

And thanks for everyone's input helping me to make up my mind. I appreciate it.

BBinMI

Re: Which Pin Box? MorRyde, Fifth Aitborne or TrailAir

Ok, so what's the general consensus on these aftermarket pinboxes? I've never used any of them, but am thinking of adding one to the new rig. Also will be adding air bags to the truck. And currently have a PullRite Superglide hitch that I won't be replacing.

MorRyde is supposed to take care of the fore and aft and side to side jerkiness.

Fifth Airborne and TrailAir are supposed to take care of the up and down jolts.

Neither of them do both. What's your experience?

Don't know much about Mor-Ryde. I can see the benefits to the forward/backward shock absorption but I don't see much benefit to reduce the up/down jarring that the truck passes to the fifth wheel trailer via the solid hitch. I've used TrailAir on 2 different fifth wheels and think they do the best job at protecting the coach (frame and construction) while mellowing out the bumps. I looked at the 5th Airborne and personally believe that it is engineered backwards to get the best/optimum shock absorption from the air bag, i.e. bag compresses only a little while the hitch pin moves a lot. Adding bags to the truck might provide some shock absorption at the trailer hitch but I wouldn't believe that it would be that much. Even with the air bags on the truck, if the truck goes up and down, so will the trailer hitch.

gebills

Good Morning:

I have read these forums until my eyes cross regarding hitches, suspensions and pin boxes. I see good points on all units, be they the Trail-Air, 5th Airborne, or MorRyde; and have given much consideration to the hitch as well.

Maybe I should clarify, I am a beginner RV person and am trying to learn as much as I can before making any more mistakes. My first mistake was buying the wrong truck last year, i.e. a 2500 rather than a 3500, so got the opportunity to do it twice, at much expense. Now have a Dodge CTD 3500 SRW short box truck, and feel comfortable about towing with our recent purchase of a BH 3455RL.

After reading the forums, I think what I am hearing is the concern being more applicable to the fore and aft, and the side to side movement of the coach (as opposed to up/down movement); therein the MorRyde makes more sense to me so have ask the dealer to have it installed at the factory. I have an appointment to install a Pullrite Super 5th 18K hitch (not the superglide hitch) this next week, in preperation for heading east to pick up our new Big Horn in mid-October. The jury is still out in the air bags for the TV suspension, but from the owners responding, I think the air bags (i.e. Firestone or Timbrens) might make sense. If any owners feel strongly about the air bags, one way or another, I'd be tickled to hear. GlennB.