Brake lockup on one wheel

Ldavisjr

I have a 3410RL Bighorn. Just got back from a long trip in which I noticed that when I started to stop, especially when starting off in the morning, One of the brakes on the front of my fifth wheel would lock up. Did not notice this until it was too late and had flattened a place on one of my tires real bad. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. It also appears that a small amount of grease is on rim. I think that it may be a seal that is leaking on to the brakes. With only about 1500 miles on the coach do you think that heartland will help with a replacement of the tire. Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

jimtoo

Hi Lewis,

The first thing to do is contact your dealer or dealer service and have them check out your problem. They should be able to find the problem. And then you would just need to go from there.

Keep us informed as to the repairs.

Jim M

Forrest Fetherolf

I have a 3410RL Bighorn. Just got back from a long trip in which I noticed that when I started to stop, especially when starting off in the morning, One of the brakes on the front of my fifth wheel would lock up. Did not notice this until it was too late and had flattened a place on one of my tires real bad. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. It also appears that a small amount of grease is on rim. I think that it may be a seal that is leaking on to the brakes. With only about 1500 miles on the coach do you think that heartland will help with a replacement of the tire. Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes they should fix the problem!!!!!!!! 1500 miles only, the inner wheel bearing grease seal has failed allowing wheel bearing grease to seep out into the brake drum and coat the brake linings. Driving long distance warms the grease on brake linings reducing braking ability, parking allows the grease to cool and seize the brake lining to the brake drum. Very dangerous...........get it fixed..........give Heartland customer service a call.

Forrest

Ldavisjr

3410 RE requires

Just to let anyone know that might be interestedI took my camper to a heartland dealer they looked at the tire and brake situation and determined that it was not a seal in the axle but was the brake adjustment. They questioned me about if I or someone else might have adjusted the brakes on the camper, they said that heartland was questioning paying for the repair. I told them that I had no reason to adjust brakes on a camper that had less than 2000 miles on it. They sent pictures of the two wheels(the spare wheel and the right front) that had been damaged and had severe flat spots on each, to heartland's customer service. They notified me that heartland had agreed to replace both tires. I was glad to see that heartland came through on this issue. My only question is that it's hard to believe that the brake shoes or seals did not receive some amount of damage with the amount of wear the two tires had on them. But again I believe they are trying to help as much as they possibly came.