Sundance Door Panel and Handle Modifications

Jim & Harriet

another idea we used was to cover the bottom screen of the door with a heavy plastic tile used to cover ceiling light fixtures. it allows light in and protects the screen from the paws of our dog.
we also added a handle "bar" - available from several retailers. this makes pulling the door closed much easier and is an added grip when climbing back in. both are attched directly to the door.
to keep the door closed securly (when the dog jumps against it) we added a "hook latch" that can be opened and closed by sliding the door's access port.

first photo - added handle; second photo - pet protector panel

Attachments

• door handle and dog panel.jpg
    door handle and dog panel.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 3 b ceiling panel for dog door 2.jpg
    3 b ceiling panel for dog door 2.jpg
    775.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

grizzlygiant

For my past several trailers I purchased an "egg crate" light fixture insert used for lights is suspended accoustic ceilings in offices. Lowes has them for about $11. Cut the panel to fit snuggly on the outside of the lower screen and hold it in place with a few dabs of clear silicone. It looks great, lets air in and out, lets the dogs see out but protects the screen when they jump on it.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
we also added a handle "bar" - available from several retailers. this makes pulling the door closed much easier and is an added grip when climbing back in. both are attched directly to the door.
first photo - added handle; second photo - pet protector panel

Where did you locate the handle? what was it originally used for?

Jim & Harriet

door handle

we bought the handle at campingworld we paid around $12, but online i saw it was recently on sale for less, oh well...:rolleyes:
the bar can be cut to custom-fit the width of your door.
i find it is very useful to hold onto when climbing the steps back into our sundance.

Last edited:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
we bought the handle at campingworld we paid around $12, but online i saw it was recently on sale for less, oh well...:rolleyes:
the bar can be cut to custom-fit the width of your door.
i find it is very useful to hold onto when climbing the steps back into our sundance.

Thanks Guys...I'm off to camping world. I need the handle to make it easier to close the screen door from my wheelchair.

**The name for this is: Screen Door Cross Bar. Found it on Amazon. Same picture, down to the hand:p. Cheaper and free shipping. Camping world makes it so hard to find things on their site now. Thanks, Guys, my dogs appreciate it.:D***

Last edited:

Jim & Harriet

door handle

glad you were able to find it at a good price. i'll have to check out amazon for future rv purchases.:eek:
our local campingworld does match advertised online prices from their own website, but i don't know if they would match amazon.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Cool door covering. We covered both door's top and bottom panels with thin plexiglass (think it's 16th of a inch) that you can get from Lowes. I just cut it with a craft knife and then pop it into the grooves of the door. I put a small screw on top and bottom to keep it in place while traveling. Now we can keep the big door open whether the ac or heat is running. Sorry I haven't got pictures but fellow campers in campgrounds quiz about it and I have install a bunch for other people.

Jim & Harriet

door modification

like the idea about covering the top screen too and being able to easily remove the plastic panel. it would be nice to leave the outside door open when using the heat or a.c.

Nabo

Jim - let me know if you have any questions. I will see if I can help you out covering the top panel. We like it because it also lets in daylight.
Nathan

Jim & Harriet

door modification

thanks nabo,
i'll check our door for the "grooves" you mention and see if we can use your method to add the top panel.

SmokeyBare

Yes... they sure could. Just thought I'd toss out another idea for others who are considering their own plan of attack.

Your photo you posted... showed the bottom of the door already modified....

Marv

Nabo

The grooves are on the outside of the screen and are very narrow, that why you use the very thin stuff. Since putting the plexiglass in, we have decided not to take them off. It's so nice letting in the extra light from the door up the stairs to the BR area. Our toy poodle also likes being able to look out.

Jim & Harriet

door modification

we will be looking into using a panel cover for the top screen. just wondered about the air flow when the weather is nice and we do not need either heat or a.c.?

heading to your state next month - to richmond and a local blue grass festival. great music! None

Nabo

Haven't had any problem with air flow with the door covered. We just open the side windows and use what I call the wonderfan (MaxxFan) which keeps the air moving. Most of the time that keeps the interior pretty cool.
Let us know if you are going to be in the east side of the state. We would like to meet ya'll.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We installed the door handle yesterday. It's a great addition. Makes grabbing the door much easier.