2009 F150 + Northtrail 31QBS?

Kraythe

I have a 2009 F150 Supercrew 5.4L V8 with 3.55 Axle and 145" wheelbase. The first stipulation is that the vehicle isn't going to change. I am not going to buy and maintain a truck that has only the single purpose to pull an RV. Again the truck wont change.

According to the Ford Towing guide I have the following constraints:

WB: 145
GVWR: 7,200
Engine: 5.4L
Trans: 6R80E
Rear Axle Ratio: 3.55/3.73E
GCW: 15,500
Max Conventional Trailer: 9,700

Furthermore, the sticker on the door of my truck say the max weight is 1495 for cargo and passengers.

I was debating buying the 31QBS because I really need the bunk house for the kids. I also want a ProPride 3P hitch. The only thing that concerns me is the GCW and the cargo weight. The tongue of the 31QBS is 610# and If I add on 2 200# (average) adults we are at 1010 lbs leaving 385 for the kids (which should be enough I guess). The tow rating of the truck fully loaded at 7200# + the trailer at max weight of 6900# would be 14100# leaving 1400# spare.

What I am wondering is if i am really pushing it with this trailer and the truck. What do you guys think? I thought about the 28BHS but that is not as conducive to my needs with three kids and the only real difference is 200# tongue weight.

While i am here, the ProPride 3p is a weight distribution hitch. Does that mean that there is an apparent reduction of the tongue weight with the weight distribution? I wasn't able to locate a clear answer on that one.

Last edited:

irvin56

I own a 31qbs

And yes you would be fine with weight.

As far as tougue weight, loaded you will be looking at around 800#, with propane, battery and front cargo bay loaded.
( which runs around 10-15% trailer weight, which is recemended)
As far as reducing touge weigth. It will stay he same, just moves the weight from one axle to another

As far as WDH. it shifts the weight around so you have distributed the weight from front, back and trailer axles.

Make sure you have WDH setup so trailer is level and no weight is taken from front end of truck. Which means take it to a scale and check weight at different links on bars to get set on right weight distribution

With my setup, I run at 5th link from bar and this sets my front end at the same weight as if I was empty and total unit is 100% level.

Also get a sway control on unit.

Kraythe

And yes you would be fine with weight.

As far as tougue weight, loaded you will be looking at around 800#, with propane, battery and front cargo bay loaded.
( which runs around 10-15% trailer weight, which is recemended)
As far as reducing touge weigth. It will stay he same, just moves the weight from one axle to another

As far as WDH. it shifts the weight around so you have distributed the weight from front, back and trailer axles.

Make sure you have WDH setup so trailer is level and no weight is taken from front end of truck. Which means take it to a scale and check weight at different links on bars to get set on right weight distribution

With my setup, I run at 5th link from bar and this sets my front end at the same weight as if I was empty and total unit is 100% level.

Also get a sway control on unit.

Thanks for the reply and encouragement. The ProPride 3p is, accordign to my research, an upgraded Hensley Arrow so sway will be mechanically impossible without actually snapping the hitch. The ProPride 3p dealer also said the hitch has weight distribution built in. I am currious what you mean by the "5th link from bar". You mean the 5th link in the chain as the setting for the WD hitch ?

irvin56

Yes 5th link of chain and I had to set my head back

I had to tilt my ball back to get Bars not to rub tounge and have bars level
I have the ressee wdh. and turned my plates to no. 4 angle and this set my ball back on an angle

(I am currious what you mean by the "5th link from bar". You mean the 5th link in the chain as the setting for the WD hitch ? )

Kraythe

I had to tilt my ball back to get Bars not to rub tounge and have bars level
I have the ressee wdh. and turned my plates to no. 4 angle and this set my ball back on an angle

(I am currious what you mean by the "5th link from bar". You mean the 5th link in the chain as the setting for the WD hitch ? )

Interesting. I am going to be using the ProPride 3p no matter what RV I get so sway should be nonexistent and I dont know how you set the weight distribution on the propride 3p so I will find out I guess.

I was debating getting an air assist for the rear suspension to provide that extra margin of safety and better ride with the trailer on. Without it the truck would be near GVWR and it might be better to have a bit more support.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Kraythe,

Take a look at the Pullrite Trailer Hitch, it has no sway and the trailer has 140 degrees of turning radius. I had it on 3 different tow vehicles and towed 3 different trailers from 1984 to 2004. In my opinion it is a great hitch and a great company with great customer service. Here is a video from their web site.

Kraythe

Kraythe,

Take a look at the Pullrite Trailer Hitch, it has no sway and the trailer has 140 degrees of turning radius. I had it on 3 different tow vehicles and towed 3 different trailers from 1984 to 2004. In my opinion it is a great hitch and a great company with great customer service. Here is a video from their web site.

Yeah I looked at that one and dismissed it. It simply didnt have the characteristics I was looking for. The hensley Arrow / ProPride 3p are far superior.

techman

Make sure you have WDH setup so trailer is level and no weight is taken from front end of truck. Which means take it to a scale and check weight at different links on bars to get set on right weight distribution.

Irwin is correct about getting the rig weighed. After I bought my NT, I took the time to educate myself on towing and how to tow correctly. There are plenty of good websites that have great information on how to setup the hitch and tow correctly. Read them and print out pages about 'how to weigh' and take the time to do it right.
Mike

Kraythe

So, what did you decide on? None

I didnt decide. I originally thought of heartland because I didnt want to buy an HD truck to tow an RV and have it as a single use vehicle. Now I dont know. I am being told that the HD is the only way to make a northtrail work unless I want a tent-end "camper". So I am looking at other manufacturers. I dont know thy people on the forum dont understand "I am not getting a darn HD truck".

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I didnt decide. I originally thought of heartland because I didnt want to buy an HD truck to tow an RV and have it as a single use vehicle. Now I dont know. I am being told that the HD is the only way to make a northtrail work unless I want a tent-end "camper". So I am looking at other manufacturers. I dont know thy people on the forum dont understand "I am not getting a *censored word* HD truck".

Based on the dry weight of that unit, you DO NOT need a HD truck to pull it. I pulled a Forest River GS272 (27' TT), which is just under the weight shown for your NorthTrail, with a 2002 Chevy Avalance Z71. That's a 1500 series truck, same as your F-150. The Chevy had a max. trailer weight of 7100 lbs. with the 5.3L gasser and 3:73 axle. It cut the gas mileage in half, but it pulled with no problem, even with the bed of the truck full of our stuff. I had a DrawTite weight distributing hitch and a sway stabilizer.

And looking back over the replies to your original post, no one told you that you needed a *censored word* HD truck. Everyone, including me, talked about weight distributing hitches. Having looked at the expensive Hensley hitch, it should be all you need if set up properly.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dude, you need to get that chip off your shoulder. I have read all the posts in both of your threads. Not 1 person told you that you where nuts to if you did not use a HD truck.

Kraythe

Dude, you need to get that chip off your shoulder.

I am reserching a 30k dollar purchase, not buying a candy bar or trying to be a popular guy. If the northtrail requires an HD and Im not going to get one then I have to look at other options. Perhaps you can afford to have a single use truck but I am not so lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Dude, you need to get that chip off your shoulder.

Maybe he got confused by our "signatures" showing HD trucks. If you're pulling 5 and 6 ton rigs (empty), like ours, you kinda need to go that route. The link he put up for the NorthTrail shows the vehicles that can pull it. They're not HD's.

Kraythe

Maybe he got confused by our "signatures" showing HD trucks. If you're pulling 5 and 6 ton rigs (empty), like ours, you kinda need to go that route. The link he put up for the NorthTrail shows the vehicles that can pull it. They're not HD's.

Not so much the sigs, just the "oh you are nuts" posts whenever I suggest pulling the 31QBS with my truck. Unfortunately Heartland doesn't make any lighter setups with a bunk house that is feasible. The 21BHS has curtains for the master bedroom (ick ... a bit tough to .... cuddle ... behind curtains). Not to mention its bunkhouse attempt isn't really feasible to 3 kids. So I am considering making due with the 21BHS which I wont really like so that is out. Pretty much the only Ultralight heartland has that fits my needs is the 31QBS but when I post about pulling it with my f150 people reply "NO WAY MAN."

Ok then ... I need to look for something else perhaps.

It does make me wonder why so few layouts are suited to families. Perhaps RVing is just for retired folk mostly. Of all heartland's RVs only 4 or so floorplans are really good for families. The rest seem to be set up for a retired couple. Kind of makes me wonder if my kids will really have fun doing this. It will really stick if we go RVing and they cant find other kids to play with.

irvin56

mine is 12600 loaded

to camp.

your truck combined weight is 15,500 lbs.

That gives you 3,000 lbs extra. That's a **** of a lot of weight to spare.
unless your taking the whole house and furniture with you.

Don't get ticked off about hd trucks. YOU DON'T NEED ONE FOR A 31QBS.

OR ARE YOU looking for an excess not to haul it ???

jimtoo

OK folks, I think there are some words being exchanged that we do need on this forum. I am asking everyone to back off, think about what has been said. If you need to apologize for what you said, do it now. Everyone on this forum has an opinion, all not the same, but lets post them in a way that will help someone make a good decision. Any more post with reference to cuss words as posted in the above post will be deleted.

Jim M

JohnDar

Not so much the sigs, just the "oh you are nuts" posts whenever I suggest pulling the 31QBS with my truck. Unfortunately Heartland doesn't make any lighter setups with a bunk house that is feasible. The 21BHS has curtains for the master bedroom (ick ... a bit tough to .... cuddle ... behind curtains). Not to mention its bunkhouse attempt isn't really feasible to 3 kids. So I am considering making due with the 21BHS which I wont really like so that is out. Pretty much the only Ultralight heartland has that fits my needs is the 31QBS but when I post about pulling it with my f150 people reply "NO WAY MAN."

Ok then ... I need to look for something else perhaps.

It does make me wonder why so few layouts are suited to families. Perhaps RVing is just for retired folk mostly. Of all heartland's RVs only 4 or so floorplans are really good for families. The rest seem to be set up for a retired couple. Kind of makes me wonder if my kids will really have fun doing this. It will really stick if we go RVing and they cant find other kids to play with.

Again, I do not see where anyone has said anything against your truck/rig combo choice. Even the Heartland site tells you it's no problem. As for RV'ing being only for retired folks, you need to go visit some campgrounds and state parks in summer. Most will let you drive around for free to see what they're like. Kids hanging from the chandeliers in most of them, having a whale of a time.

But, if for some reason, you just want to raise heck, take it somewhere else.

RVCamper

Good luck with your decision .. let us know what you decide. Folks here just want to assit you in making a safe decision.

Last edited: