28BHS Queen Bed mattress

rich300

We just upgraded from a Starcraft Centennial pop-up and took our new 28BHS out for the first time and everything was great........except the comfort of the queen bed. The beds in our pop-up were extremely comfortable and from the moment I sat on the edge of the queen bed in our North Trail this weekend, I couldn't believe how uncomfortable it is. I didn't do my homework before we purchased it by laying in the bed. I noticed there might be an upgraded mattress available. Does anyone have any suggestions or an idea how much the optional mattress might cost and whether it is comfortable?

Rich

irvin56

Their horrible

We along with others have just bought a memory foam topper for it. Makes a huge difference
we got a 2 inch topper and just put on top. Good now.

Others have bought a mattress to replace it completely.
Now I believe all newer north trails come with a shorter bed Around 72 or 74 long.

Our model and year came with full lenght 78 inch

So if you have the shorter bed the memory foam would be the way to go as you can cut it.

Have fun Irvin

CrazyScotsman

We put a pillow top cover thing on our mattress in the Horn. Think it was in the low $100's , at Bed Bath & Beyond. It works great, plus you don't get hot and sweaty on it like I do on foam.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
we put a memory foam topper in ours with a goose down cover now it's very comfortable got it at overstock.com less then 100.00 for both .Kathy

techman

We were unaware of the upgraded pillow top mattress when we purchased ours. We got the shorter mattress, 74". The updated mattress is 78". The newer TTs have a permanent wall separating the bedroom. Our model has a curtain, which we really like. I was able to replace the lid over the storage compartment with a longer plywood board so I have a full 80" bed. We bought a memory foam topper for less than $100 and it worked great. We will eventually buy a regular pillow top mattress but for now the memory foam topper made a world of difference.
Mike

rich300

Thank you all. We have the 78" version and I think I am going to try a memory foam topper for now and see how it goes. Anything will be a huge improvement, I am sure!

Rich

Hart

We got a new queen innerspring mattress from Mattress Express for $300. It is wonderful. Have tried the toppers with another unit & nothing beats the real mattress. Check with your local mattress dealers.

NSNorthtrail

Hi Rich,
We to had A Starcraft Centennial 3612 before we bought the NT28BHS. Your right-the mattress was horrible in the TT. We had it replaced before we went on our first trip.

franny97

2011 North Trail 21FBS - foam mattress

We have just bought a 2011 North Trail 21FBS, but won't physically see it until we meet the drop-off driver in Butte, MT on our way to Phoenix.

Has anybody kept the foam mattress that comes with the 21FBS? If so, I'm wondering whether a fitted sheet works on it, or do you have to use a flat sheet and tuck it underneath?

How thick is the foam mattress?

Thank you

fishrag_1

Franny97,
Our 21FBS is about 10months old. We tried the factory mattress and my wife hated it. We replaced it with a standard queen we had in storage. I had to replaced the bottom support board (no big deal) so there would be adequate support to sit on the foot of the bed. Just like sleeping at home now. Standard queen linens will not properly fit the factory mattress properly. DW put "sheet garders" to make them stay on.

Zonian

we have the factory foam bed......and love it!!!:angel:
both of us have back problems and the firmness helps. So....before someone buys an expensive matress it would be best to consider your personal preferences.

charlie51

We ended up buying a 4" foam mattress topper from Wal-mart to put on ours. That thing that comes with it shouldn't even qualify as a mattress. Its liking sleeping on bags of sand. With the topper on top of it, it now sleeps great. The only thing is with the topper we got I had to cut a few inches of length off to make it even with the mattress, and it's a few inches narrower than the camper mattress.

X-Savior

Hey guys,

I have a 2010 28BHS and we had the same problem. After one night I refused to ever sleep in our trailer again until we got a better mattress. My wife and I have bad backs so this was top priority.

I went to Sleep Country and got a great deal on a full size queen pillow top demo unit. It went into the main area for the quick load till I got home. I had measured in advance and the 28BHS WILL fit a full mattress but it will be right against the wall at the foot of the bed.

Now getting that mattress in place was a nightmare. It took 2 of us about 45 minutes to "Coax" the mattress with one person pushing it from outside and the other pulling it sideways at the same time in the bedroom. At one point the mattress was both vertical and horizontal at the same time. I am sure it defied physics in getting into place. None the less it DID fit and it is absolutely WONDERFUL. But be ready for the struggle to get it into place...