Dometic Refer/Icemaker Tips Thread

jbeletti

I plan to post a few replies to this thread with tips I have read in the manuals or learned for use of the Dometic Refer and Icemaker. I have the 10 cu ft top-freezer model but I suspect most of these will apply to most models.

Please join me with some tips to help others.

Jim

Last edited:

jbeletti

How to Adjust Size of Ice Cubes

After the first couple of cycles, if your icemaker is making cubes that are too small or cubes that are sticking together, an adjustment is necessary on the amount of water entering the ice mold.

1. Remove the protective cover from the front (as you face into the freezer) of the icemaker

2. Locate the adjusting screw above the gears near the top-right. Turn the screw counter-clockwise to increase the size of the cubes. To decrease the size of the cubes or if the mold is overfilling with water or the cubes are stuck together, turn the screw clockwise

3. Replace protective cover

Note:
To prevent overfilling, DO NOT turn the adjustment screw more than one revolution at a time. Allow icemaker to cycle several times before making another adjustment.

Information paraphrased from Dometic Refrigerator Ice Maker Operation manual (covers many models).

Last edited:

jbeletti

Winter Operation of Icemaker

If your refer has the Dometic icemaker, then the refer is equipped with a heat tape the is wrapped around the water solenoid and the outlet water tube.

This heat tape is 12 VDC powered. While you are camping, so long as you have AC power to your converter or your battery system is in a good state of charge, your icemaker system will have some protection from freezing.

If your RV is in storage and you have your DC power off (converter off/batteries disconnected), there will be no power to operate the heat tape. In this case, you will need to drain the icemaker and even better, winterize it.

Information paraphrased from Dometic Refrigerator Ice Maker Operation manual (covers many models)

jbeletti

How to Winterize your Ice Maker

If temperatures are expected to reach 0 degrees F (-18 C) or colder, the ice maker must be drained to prevent component damage and leaks.

Follow these steps:
  1. Shut Off water supply valve to ice maker
  2. Place a shallow pan or towel under the solenoid valve. Loosen and disconnect water supply line and drain water from line
  3. Remove the plastic nut and plastic (or vinyl) water line from the outlet side of the solenoid valve. Drain water from the line. Do not lose the metal insert from vinyl water line!
  4. Connect compressed air onto the inlet fitting of the water solenoid valve. Apply AC power to the solenoid valve by forcing the water maker mold assembly through several ice harvest cycles. Remove the plastic protective cover from the mold assembly. The bail arm must be in the down (ON) position. Start the harvest cycle with a flat blade screwdriver inserted into the center of the small gear. Turn the gear counter clockwise. When the hold switch closes, the mold assembly will continue to operate through the harvest cycle. During the water fill sequence of the harvest cycle, the compressed air will blow out the water strapped in the solenoid valve. Repeat the harvest cycle operation several times. Note: Up to 20 PSIG air pressure can be used to clear the valve. Damage to solenoid can occur if AC power is applied for more than 20 seconds
  5. Reconnect and tighten lines on water solenoid valve. Metal insert MUST be installed in plastic (or vinyl) water line going to outlet side of solenoid. Leave water supply turned off until temperatures are above 0 degrees F (-18 C)
  6. Dry out ice maker mold assembly with soft cloth. Place bail in UP (off) position

Information paraphrased from Dometic red tag that came with Refrigerator Ice Maker - form number 3108669.015 (assumed to cover many models)