Revisiting Snowbirding or Fulltiming in Sundance

Earl

I have done a search and can find little info on this except for one thread over a year ago. I really like the Sundance 2800 and 2900. We would like to live in it for at least six months at a time and more likely nine months. So both those who have owned one for awhile and for the company representatives, will this unit stand up to this use? Most semi-fulltimers buy much heavier and larger rigs (not necessarily longer) with the Big Horn being one of the favorites. I'm not only concerned about durability but things like insulation (if we hit cool or very hot weather). For company reps, are these units warranteed for full-timing? On some units, the company will not stand behind the warranty if they are being used for full-time. Thanks for any and all info.
Earl

jbeletti

Earl,

Our units are not warranted for full-timing. That said, many people full-time in Landmark, Bighorn, Sundance and Cyclone - maybe even others. To my knowledge, no one has ever been denied warranty service work because they full-time in their Heartland RV.

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have done a search and can find little info on this except for one thread over a year ago. I really like the Sundance 2800 and 2900. We would like to live in it for at least six months at a time and more likely nine months. So both those who have owned one for awhile and for the company representatives, will this unit stand up to this use? Most semi-fulltimers buy much heavier and larger rigs (not necessarily longer) with the Big Horn being one of the favorites. I'm not only concerned about durability but things like insulation (if we hit cool or very hot weather). For company reps, are these units warranteed for full-timing? On some units, the company will not stand behind the warranty if they are being used for full-time. Thanks for any and all info.
Earl

Earl,
Please understand that these are built as "recreational vehicles" and as such the structures and amenities are engineered accordingly. If you decide to make this a "home" for multiple months at a time it will be necessary to make sure you keep up with maintenance.

I only bring this up as a friend of mine had just come over to my house to complain about issues with his coach. Water problems and the bottom of his slideout coming apart. He was really bent out of shape and wanted to blame the manufacturer for his woes. He did "fulltime" in it quite a bit. I had to bluntly tell him that the manufacturer is not at fault when he ignored normal maintainance issues like checking the caulk all around his rig. This alone would have saved him a lot of current heartache. He didn't like hearing it but unfortunately the truth hurts sometimes.

Like Jim said many people do it and everything works out great. Heartland has been very good to work with and they will stand behind their product. I am sure others will chime in on this and you will get a lot of good information.

Good luck,
Mark

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have friends from Arkansas that spend 5 months in Corpus Christi in a 2900 Sundance. Their only complaint is no having enough room and are wanting to expand into something with 3 slides. Otherwise, as others have said, upkeep is very important.

Edd and Janet

We own a Sundance but do not full time in it. We do travel and use it frequently. If I was going to full time I would upgrade and purchase a Bighorn. We've had no major issues with our 2008 29RK Sundance. We love it. In touring the Big Horns that our friends own, I definately see and feel the more solid, heavier structure of a Big Horn compared to our Sundance.

Earl

Thanks for the responses so far. Keep 'em coming. Berry and Janet, that is my concern that maybe we need a heavier unit to go out for extended times. Ray, I think the 2900 mk is three slides and that is why that is one of the two we are looking at. Thanks, Mark & Jim for the info on standing behind the quality and warranty. We've been camping or Rving for 40 some years so do know that you have to keep after the RV and stay on top of it. I'm also inclined to look for a used unit because more of the bugs have been worked out. My worst nightmares have been with new trailers!!
Earl

Earl

Guess I answered my question today about Sundance. We spent a long time in one today. Finally decided the low closet wouldn't do for us at our age! Too much stooping to use it. Also the basement storage may be a little tight. So it's back the Big Horn or similar. Now I just have to find what I want at the price I can afford!!!
Earl