"UPDATE PLEASE READ" No Elec. Hot Water

jonesj2

:DThis is not a Heartland RV bash just a reminder to all as this could happen to anyone and any brand.:D
Well as you will read below no electric hot water. After researching the situation Friday evening after work I found that the 120 Volt leads from the inverter to the water heater had no connectivity. I went further and found that the crimp connectors holding the 120 Volt wires inside of the junction box had separated from the connector and burned the plastic crimp, 3 to 4 inches if the wire covering, therefore shorting out inside of the junction box. I have now corrected this problem to the best of my ability by using twist on wire nuts and securing them with electrical tape. If the wires had not been inside of an electrical junction box, but rather beside of the wood frame we possibly could have lost our Sundance and out lives.
I have now replaced all of the crimp connectors I can find on my Sundance and replaced them with twist nuts and electrical tape.
:)Customer service has been contacted; I am waiting for a response from them to see what needs to be done next.:)

Attachments

• Camper Water Heater 001.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 001.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Camper Water Heater 002.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 002.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Camper Water Heater 005.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 005.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Camper Water Heater 006.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 006.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Camper Water Heater 007.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 007.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 108
  • Camper Water Heater 008.jpg
    Camper Water Heater 008.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 99

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Glad to see you found this problem. I have not had any problem such as this and I do like the wires twisted, wire nut and electrical tape. Does your water heater work now?

I had to replace the crimp on connectors that were used to connect my wires for the trailer. Seems they used the same connector for different sizes of wire. Not a good deal.
BC

jonesj2

TxBobcat, yes the hot water heater is now working properly. I also have replaced as many of the connectors I could find and replaced them with twist on's. There was one that went to the water pump that just came off in my hand. No to hip on those type connectors.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
I am glad you found the problem and no one was hurt.I hope you get a quick
and good responce from Heartland.

Mike Walker

Shadowchek

Wire nuts (twist on connectors) are exellent connectors much better than the crimp connections. I use them all of the time in environments that have a lot of vibration with no problems. Especially with you having taped them. The water heater takes a lot of power so it needs very good connections all of the way. Now you see why there are metal boxes at junction points. I say you should be good to go.

Greg

tmcran

Humm, if you had had a fire then who steps up and bites the bullet? I notice GM has a recall on wiring. Should this be a recall?

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Humm, if you had had a fire then who steps up and bites the bullet? I notice GM has a recall on wiring. Should this be a recall?

No to the recall. Just one of those things. No I am not trying to downplay what they found I just don't think we need to let this get out of hand.

beardedone

Beardedone
I think that if a recall was ordered it would have to supported by a large and consistent problem. That has not been established. The only wise thing to do is to check your wiring and other things regularly because all that shaking while we are travelling down the road doesn't help. I even have to check my teeth after some of the roads I travel on!

irvin56

Need some poly grip or super glue =

even have to check my teeth after some of the roads I travel on! :D
(MUST BE IN CANADA)

ROFLMAO

jonesj2

NoneI was not intending for this post to become a back and forth argument about a recall.

I just wanted individuals who have the same passion for camping to be aware of a potential problem that could be a safety issue.:D