getting shocked

wakeboy

The other day in my yard I connected AC power to my 2890BHS. The units jacks and stabillizers were on those plastic pads . Nothing was to ground. I was bare-footed and when i touched one of the jacks i was shocked and was shocked at the door when i touched the lock. Testing with a volt/ohm meter i read 62 volts to ground. I did not get a reading from dc power. I never noticed this before. Is this normal when there is no contact to ground other than the tires or do I have a grounding issue?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sounds like you have a live wire hitting your frame somewhere. All grounding is done through your shore power cord and frame. Start checking underneath your rig for worn wires.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The other day in my yard I connected AC power to my 2890BHS. The units jacks and stabillizers were on those plastic pads . Nothing was to ground. I was bare-footed and when i touched one of the jacks i was shocked and was shocked at the door when i touched the lock. Testing with a volt/ohm meter i read 62 volts to ground. I did not get a reading from dc power. I never noticed this before. Is this normal when there is no contact to ground other than the tires or do I have a grounding issue?

The return is open and your ground at the pedestal is not connected or is bad. The frame of your trailer is acting as the Return...and your body is acting like a ground. The resistance of your body is less than an open wire. Electricity seeks the easiest path to ground. Your body is that easiest path.

If you are reading 62 volts to ground, that should tell you there is a problem. You should not be showing any voltage to ground. Disconnect your power and check your wiring.

Trust me on this...DO IT NOW.

I keep telling people here, to keep one jack resting directly on dirt. If everything is insulated from ground...then your body is gonna pay for it.

Peteandsharon

I had a very similar issue with a previous travel trailer. The ground prong of the 30 amp plug was fried. I got a shock on the frame of the trailer and on the aluminum side when it had been raining. Often times the outlets in campgrounds go bad because people are not careful when they plug in or pull the plug out. The outlet in the box gets loose and if your plug doesn't fit in there snugly it has the tendency to generate heat and fry your plug. In my case it fried the ground prong and caused my problem. I simply had to replace my 30 amp plug and was fine. Camping World has very simple meters which you can plug into any outlet in your rig. The lights on the meter will tell you if you are properly grounded.

wakeboy

After posting this i got to thinking about the ground plug on the drop cord that i had run from my shed and sure enough the ground was missing. I have to change that and i hope my problem will be resolved.