Battery charging

jmaguire

My battery is not fully charging while the unit is plugged in. I read 13.6 volts going to it. How do you tell if it is the battery or the charger? Also the electric water heater does not work. Both switches are on. I am going to take it in for warranty work, but just curious if i could do anything myself. John

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My SOB Trailer had an Interstate battery. I lost two Converters over a year and a half. Come to find out the Interstate battery had a bad cell and the converter could not charge it fully and burned out.

Take your battery to a shop (autozone, O'Riley's or such) and have it checked.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
A 12 volt battery fully charged at 100 % should read 12.7 volts at 50 % 12.06. You can disconnect the cables and get a reading from both separately .

jmaguire

Thanks TX. We also have an interstate battery. I will have it checked. The converter seems to be putting enough volts out to charge it but it barely gets charged.

Dave

Traveling Two
A output voltage of a properly operating battery charger is 13.6 volts. Appears the battery isn't holding a charge. I had a 2x4 inch electrical junction box on the rear side of my hot water heater on my Coachmen 5th wheel, one of the wire nuts on the input power electric cables came off thereby opening the circuit and rendered the heater inop.