Towing Rear Kit Sundance 265RK

camperjohn08

We are considering purchasing a Rear Kit. 1/2 ton towable Xlt Sundance 265RK. I heard one dealer state that a rear kitchen unit bounces around due to the weight of the rear kitchen set up. What are your feelings on this matter.
Also since I have a fully loaded 2004 Silverado Z71 extended Cab w/8 foot box, trailer package, 410 gears, and Hellwig air springs installed with only 2700 actual miles, getting a new 3/4 ton truck is out of the question now. I tow a North Trail 21FBS at the moment and it tows fine.
Another question, is the 265RK REALLY a 1/2 ton towable unit??
Any info would be appreciated.. I don't want to make a fatal mistake at this stage of my life.
Thanks
John:confused:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
John, I'm not an authority by any means, but I did find the following information with a quick internet search. It is for the short wheelbase model, but I would think the 8ft bed model would not be significantly different. Also, this is for the 4X4. I couldn't remember if you had the 2 or 4 wheel drive, but the 2 wheel drive numbers should actually be a little higher. Anyway, the max payload (e.g. pin weight) for the truck is 1970 pounds. The pin weight of the 265RK is 1270. That leaves 500 lbs for two people and fuel. The max towing capacity of the truck is 9200lbs. The weight of the 265RK (not loaded) is 6792. I got a brouchure from my Ford dealer that gave all the detailed numbers, such as Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, Gross Rear Axel Weigh, etc. You might see if Chevrolet has something like that. Probably can find a Chevy 2004 Towing guide on line somewhere. I didn't get to do an exhaustive search. Anyway, the numbers looks good based on what I found above. You may want to do a more intensive search. Good luck with your quest! And don't believe the trailer salesperson. They'll tell you your truck can tow anything!

Gus

sandman

Hey John i have a 2007 29rk sundance i dont have any problem with it. It tow great it doesnt bouce i have heard this before but it is pretty much a myth. You just have to learn how to load it espectially a shorter one you shouldnt have a problem.