klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I hate to show my ignorance, but I'll just chalk it up to being relatively new to the forum and don't know my way around it yet.

I don't know how to do a seach to find a thread on making a picture meet the criteria to post as an avatar. I tried this morning to post an avatar, but it failed 3 times. I have a feeling it is because the picture size is too big, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any of you computer gurus out there that can help the uneducated?:confused:

Thanks,

Keith

jbeletti

Keith,

I don't think anyone has created a help document on actually creating your own avatar.

Here's is a link to the UserControlPanel where you add your avatar.

In that area, it gives the specs on the avatar as:

• Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).
To get your own image to those sizes, you will need to use a graphics program to shrink the image down.

For the Mac:

• I use Graphic Converter
For the PC:

I am hopeful others will reply with the programs they use with Windows to do this.

Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I use MS-Paint for a couple of reasons:

1. It's easy to use. You can specify the pixel size to go down to (e.g. 80x80).

2. It's free:D.

TnTChaska

Retired Minnesota Chapter HOC
How do u resize down to 80 x 80 pixels for your avatar using ms paint, step by step? I tried to figure it out but the help box says the pixels are automatically adjusted for emails but I couldn't find info on how to save it to the desktop or to my avatar.
Thanks in advance.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Keith, Don't feel like a dummy I could not figure it out either.
Thanks for asking for both of us. Thanks to all who responded.

Mike Walker

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Correction

I need to correct my previous posting, got a little ahead of myself :eek:. Actually, with MS-Paint you have to "Resize" (it's a menu item on the Image drop down menu). Then you can check the pixel size on the Image menu using the "Attributes" selection. It's a little guess work at first, but gets easier the more you use it. Of course, you may only use it once to create your Avatar picture.